Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Strange Harddisk Noise (15", 1.5GHz)

Strange Harddisk Noise (15", 1.5GHz)
TonTaub
Forum Regular
Location: Sitting in a Viennese Cafe and drinking my Melange.
Feb 8, 2005, 11:47 AM

Hi All,

since a couple of days I notice a strange noise when tilting my PowerBook.
I'm pretty sure it comes from the HDD since it changes pitch when the disk spins up or down (e.g. from or to sleeping mode).

It's not loud but quite noticeable.
And it just occurs when the PowerBook is moved, it's quiet when the PowerBook is steady in it's new position - even when it's in a 45� angle like sitting on my lap.
Unitl I sit up or such.

Since my WLAN didn't work since October I didn't move the PoBo a lot, so this effect my exist since quite a while.
I just didn't notice it.

Using the internal microphone I recorded the sound:
http://bluemole.com/misc/PoBoHDD-noise.mp3 (82kB MP3)

Or if you have problems with downloading:
http://bluemole.com/misc/PoBoHDD-noise.mp3.zip (80kB ZIP)

Any ideas what's going on? Is the disk dying a slow death?
Anyone knows that sound?

Thanks, Michael.
( Last edited by TonTaub; Feb 9, 2005 at 12:16 PM. )
May 19th 2004: Switching Day! ( AlBook.G4/1,5GHz/768MB/80GB.5400rpm/128MB.VRAM/Superdrive/10.3.9 )
ok, that is history! :-)

ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2005, 12:12 PM

In general, hard drives are not supposed to make any noise other than the normal read/write "clicks" you may hear, and spin-up/spin-down.

Any other noises ususally are a sign of some possible problem. I would backup your data and find a copy of Apple Hardware Test CD or TechTools Pro and run hardware tests on it. That probably won't tell you anything, but it's worth a shot.

In every Mac, PC, and server I've ever serviced, weird noises from disks are always signs of eventual disk failure.

At the same time...do you have a CD or DVD in your drive at the time? Tilting your PowerBook when it's using the disc will produce different noises as well.
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

TonTaub  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2005, 07:01 AM

Hi Chris,

Originally posted by ChrisB:
In general, hard drives are not supposed to make any noise other than the normal read/write "clicks" you may hear, and spin-up/spin-down.
Indeed! Over the years I've heard a lot of noises from various disks which eventually led to a fatal failure.
But this one is odd.
Meanwhile to me it sounds like a failing bearing or such.
The noise is audible just when the PoBo is exposed to some certain momentum. And it's not very loud.
If I move the PoBo slowly enough when tilting nothing happens.

Any other noises ususally are a sign of some possible problem. I would backup your data and find a copy of Apple Hardware Test CD or TechTools Pro and run hardware tests on it. That probably won't tell you anything, but it's worth a shot.
I'm doing backups on a regular basis so that only should be a minor problem.
I don't think that a hardware test will reveal anything anything but it's worth a shot.

In every Mac, PC, and server I've ever serviced, weird noises from disks are always signs of eventual disk failure.
At the same time...do you have a CD or DVD in your drive at the time? Tilting your PowerBook when it's using the disc will produce different noises as well.
No, nothing like that. To be sure I immediately hit the eject button when I heard this the first time.

I wonder if Apple Service will do anything just because of a more or less tiny noise?

Thanks, Michael.
May 19th 2004: Switching Day! ( AlBook.G4/1,5GHz/768MB/80GB.5400rpm/128MB.VRAM/Superdrive/10.3.9 )

ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2005, 12:08 PM

Apple Service may say one of two things:

1) Seems fine to me!

2) Drive is possibly going bad.

Depending on how much warranty is left, you may get a free replacement.
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

K-Bat
Feb 9, 2005, 02:21 PM

A few days ago I posted this message: Is my hard disk dying? Help!

Although I did not mention in that post, I've been also hearing a similar type of noise you described for a long time. I don't want to scare you or anything, but my HD developed a serious problem.

I just came back from the Apple Store to pick up my repaired PB, and as I write this message I'm in the process of restoring files to the new HD they installed. I just tilted my PB to see if I can reproduce the noise. No, it's very quiet.

That said, I wouldn't jupm to a conclusion and suggest that this type of noise is a sign of eventual HD failure, because I've heard many other people whose HD's are making this type of noise but otherwise running fine. But, as others have suggested, I highly recommend you to backup your files and run some test/repair programs.

PS I'm so impressed by the quick turnaround for the HD repair at the Apple Store - 2 days.

TonTaub  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2005, 09:29 AM

I'm pretty sure that this kind of a problem which eventually will become worse.
I just want to know if this is something somebody else experienced.
Until yesterday the noise stopped when the PoBo was steady.
Now it doesn't stop unless the PoBo lays flat on the table.

I guess the bearing starts to wear out.

The PowerBook is my main computer - gotta think how I'll manage the time while it's at Apple's getting repaired.

Thanks, Michael.

Forum Links
Forum Rules