Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X Mavericks

OS X Mavericks
Kensington
Jun 10, 2013, 03:06 PM

I'm looking forward to the multiple display support, and the Airplay feature with Apple TV looks pretty friggin' cool too. Makes me wish I didn't sell my Apple TV.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2013, 03:16 PM

I need to replace my old Gen 1 ATV. It won't even play most content these days sadly.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2013, 03:27 PM

OS X Mavericks desktop picture:

http://images.apple.com/home/images/osx_hero.jpg

Kensington  (op)
Jun 10, 2013, 03:33 PM

hahaha...nice...I never much cared for the big cats. I do however like big waves.

Ham Sandwich
Jun 10, 2013, 08:52 PM

Alright here are my impressions from watching the WWDC video:

1. 10.9 Finder tabs: about time! Also nice desktop, although I'd drown in it.

2. Tags: alright that's cool. Can I integrate them into my Calendar events?

3. Improved battery life (e.g. Timer, App Nap), Sign me up!

4. Safari 10.9 gets my approval. Speedier and all.

5. All these notifications are sounding more like ads on my computer...quick, someone write an App called the Off Button!

6. 10.9 Calendar, is there the leather option?... Rest of interface looks slick, projected weather will be interesting, maybe Apple can make a weather satellite so I can get an accurate weather forecast.

7. Maps app (on the Mac)... FINALLY! A substitute for all these stupid sidebar Directions/Map splits... and I hate that Mapquest killed their classic mapquest. And send to iPhone/iPod, man that just got easier, I may never have to print out maps ever again. Navigation looks cool.

8. iBooks looks neat. Not sure how well it'll work for math users.

9: Macbook Air 12 hour battery... about time. My current Macbook Air feels like an energy hog.

10: ...... "can't innovate anymore my ass!" - What a design! I'm still speechless... look at how tiny that is!! Reminds me of when the G4 Cube came out

11: iOS 7 looks like Metro, very futuristic and relaxing actually, I'd say Apple is just exploding forward in the right direction, kind of disappointed I can't download it today. iTunes radio looks nice I guess.

Anyone else thrown off that they named 10.9 after a basketball team? (Coincidence I realize, but still...)

Man Apple seriously thought iOS 7 and 10.9 out hard and long, looks like I'll be making another $19.99 payment to upgrade real soon.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2013, 11:06 PM

They should have had John McCain and Sarah Palin come out to introduce it.

Kensington  (op)
Jun 11, 2013, 02:40 AM

Hopefully the Terminal command for disabling the notifications center still works in Mavericks...

I thought that any moment this was going to turn into a Palin 2016 "THE MAVERICK IS BACK" campaign. hahaha

**edit**

http://lifehacker.com/5942898/perman...-mountain-lion
( Last edited by Kensington; Jun 11, 2013 at 02:41 AM. Reason: added link for disabling notifications center)

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2013, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
That's exactly what I thought too.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2013, 06:59 AM

1. 10.9 Finder tabs: about time! Also nice desktop, although I'd drown in it.

Yes this is cool.

2. Tags: alright that's cool. Can I integrate them into my Calendar events?

What I've been asking for sometime.

4. Safari 10.9 gets my approval. Speedier and all.

Always better.

5. All these notifications are sounding more like ads on my computer...quick, someone write an App called the Off Button!

You do know you can shut it off via option "alt" + click it's icon in Menubar.

6. 10.9 Calendar, is there the leather option?... Rest of interface looks slick, projected weather will be interesting, maybe Apple can make a weather satellite so I can get an accurate weather forecast.

7. Maps app (on the Mac)... FINALLY! A substitute for all these stupid sidebar Directions/Map splits... and I hate that Mapquest killed their classic mapquest. And send to iPhone/iPod, man that just got easier, I may never have to print out maps ever again. Navigation looks cool.

What all have been waiting for? I for 1 have.

8. iBooks looks neat. Not sure how well it'll work for math users.

Finally!

10: ...... "can't innovate anymore my ass!" - What a design! I'm still speechless... look at how tiny that is!! Reminds me of when the G4 Cube came out

Has soon has I saw it I thought of G4 iMac on steroids.

11: iOS 7 looks like Metro, very futuristic and relaxing actually, I'd say Apple is just exploding forward in the right direction, kind of disappointed I can't download it today. iTunes radio looks nice I guess.

Gives iOS & some what OS-X a breath of Fresh Air.

P
Jun 11, 2013, 07:50 AM

Tags are interesting - they're the labels from System 7 come back from the dead. Not going to complain or anything, it's a great feature, but it's strange that it took so long.

The fullscreen features are just the Lion features finally completed.

The unified timers is a clever hack, but one that uses up much of the same savings that Haswell brings. Still, it's nice that my old Sandy Bridge MBA will get that feature.

Compressed memory is...interesting. I know IBM does that on servers, but this seems like a way to keep more things in Inactive memory rather than a way to save actual RAM. There was also a reference to responsiveness in low memory conditions, that compressing is faster than writing out to disk. OK, sure, it might be, but I thought that the Inactive memory was a write-through cache. Perhaps that's what changed in Lion and that's why we have these reports of bad responsiveness since.

"App Nap" is so fluffy that I need more info to see what it does, but at least there's something about slowing screen updates for hidden Safari windows. OK, that's good. Hope it stops Flash too.

(The demo with the elements had element "118" named Urasium, Ur, floating up front for a long time. That's not uranium (which is U and element 92) but something that is the figment of someone's imagination. Element 118 still only has a temporary name, as discovery has not been confirmed)

iWork in iCloud looks interesting. It will probably cost money, but it should prove a nice way to get some work done on an iPad. Too bad that there is no FF support, but maybe that will come.

iCloud Keychain looks great, but I want a version that works in all browsers, and I doubt that this is it.

iOS7 indeed looks like Metro (but there are oh so many uninformed Android fans out there saying Apple is copying Android...). Other than that, Apple seems to caving or "paving the cowpaths", depending on how you look at it. They've kept saying that you don't need to disable Bluetooth and Wifi all the time, and now they give up and give you a shortcut for it. They've kept saying that multitasking eats battery, and now they enable it anyway.

Note that a beta is available "for the iPhone" now. No iPad version. Dare I hope for a multiuser option for the iPad?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

OreoCookie
Jun 11, 2013, 08:06 AM

Mavericks seems like a decent upgrade (although I instinctively use singular rather than plural). I very much love the focus on battery life, and making that a priority on the Mac. I am one of those people who has >10 apps open at any given time, so battery life would probably improve quite a bit.

While it breaks the tick-tock cadence, I don't particularly care because it seems like another 10.6/10.8-like release focused on polish.

I expect that the next 2 releases (Mavericks included) will focus on more under-the-hood things and that the big UI overhaul will come after Ive has revamped the iOS UI for the iPhone (iOS 7) and the iPad (iOS 8). Perhaps they will then switch to a new naming scheme (»OS Ten 10.12« sounds a bit silly).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

vsurfer
Senior User
Jun 11, 2013, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post

Anyone else thrown off that they named 10.9 after a basketball team? (Coincidence I realize, but still...)
I guess us folks who surf prefer to keep the lifestyle out of the mainstream as it's crowded enough, so the more people who think it's named after a basketball team, rather than an iconic California Coast wave, the merrier.

Figure the upgrade path in the future will be other high profile wave names: Teahupoo; Jaws (Pe'ahi) ... just as long as they let our dingy, polluted dark-water, overcrowded New York breaks stay out of the limelight. I don't predict a release named Lincoln Ave. or Rockaway Beach anytime in the next decade, .

Now the really important question ... wii some of us be able to upgrade straight from Snow Leopard to Mavericks and skip Lion altogether??? and what will the system requirements be??

P
Jun 11, 2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by vsurfer View Post
Now the really important question ... wii some of us be able to upgrade straight from Snow Leopard to Mavericks and skip Lion altogether??? and what will the system requirements be??
The beta let's you upgrade from the latest 10.6, and the system reqs are the same as ML. Apple has been known to change system reqs late in some cases, so don't breathe out yet, but it does look promising.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2013, 01:16 PM

I might have to throw it on my 2008 MBP and see what it does for the battery. I was on the verge of resigning myself to robbing a bank to buy the next retina MBP but if the final version will go on this old warhorse then a new battery might be the way to go. Get another year out of the old girl.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2013, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Originally Posted by davidflas View Post
That's exactly what I thought too.
Nah, Tom Cruise would have been better.
45/47

meador4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2013, 05:11 PM

Reply to And.reg
Mavericks is named after a surfing spot in California near Santa Cruz. It's the biggest and most powerful break in the mainland US.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2013, 09:30 PM

All Mountain Lion machines should be able to run Mavericks, which means my 2009 13" MacBook Pro should run it fine. Nice.

mindwaves
Jun 11, 2013, 09:31 PM

This is the Control Center in Mac OS 7.X called "control strip." Android and Window pundits keep on saying that iOS 7 stole this idea from them. To some extent, this is true, but Apple had it first. However, Apple never implemented it in a mobile device, only on the desktop.

Don't believe me? Apple sued Samsung for a patent on this in 2011 I believe (no idea how the result went).

For those who are unfamiliar with the control strip, it was a way to access frequently used settings such as display resolution, eject disks, volume control, etc.

OreoCookie
Jun 11, 2013, 10:07 PM

Oh, I remember this. You could spin down your hard drive and change the screen resolution and color depth of the display.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2013, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
They've kept saying that multitasking eats battery, and now they enable it anyway.
No doubt that some of the battery saving techniques being put into Mavericks have made their way to iOS to the point where Apple feels that they can enable full multitasking in iOS without compromising battery life.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 13, 2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
For those who are unfamiliar with the control strip, it was a way to access frequently used settings such as display resolution, eject disks, volume control, etc.
Oh wow, now you're causing flashbacks.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2013, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
The control strip was very handy! I don't remember what I was using it for, but I used it very frequently. At first it was for laptop only but you could find a way to install it on a desktop, and later it was made available in the base system for everyone.

Moose
Senior User
Jun 13, 2013, 04:25 PM

Tags are interesting - they're the labels from System 7 come back from the dead. Not going to complain or anything, it's a great feature, but it's strange that it took so long.
They've been back since Panther, almost ten years ago. The difference is that, unlike before, you can apply multiple tags to an object.

iWork in iCloud looks interesting. It will probably cost money, but it should prove a nice way to get some work done on an iPad.
iWork for iOS would be a much better option on iPad.

Too bad that there is no FF support, but maybe that will come.
Having seen the slides with the browser benchmark comparisons, I wouldn't hold my breath.

iOS7 indeed looks like Metro
Not in any meaningful way. If you mean that individual elements don't have a great deal of depth and that there's an emphasis on not having extraneous chrome around content, then yes.

They've kept saying that multitasking eats battery, and now they enable it anyway.
It's looser than it was before, but it's still far more tightly controlled than it is on Android.

OreoCookie
Jun 13, 2013, 10:10 PM

I use labels all the time in the Finder to indicate the state of my projects:
Red - active
Orange - stuck at a collaborator
Yellow - under review
Green - completed

It's not very sophisticated, but it works for me.

P
Jun 14, 2013, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Moose View Post
They've been back since Panther, almost ten years ago. The difference is that, unlike before, you can apply multiple tags to an object.
And name the labels so they make sense to someone other than you. Also don't remember when they let you start sorting by colors. Don't get me wrong, I use the colors in Finder, but I used the labels in OS9 and below much more (partially because they tinted the entire icon, not just the text, admittedly).

iWork for iOS would be a much better option on iPad.
Except that you still have to move the files around. The solution to that is to save to iCloud, but that makes the files stuck there unless you have the same iWork app on the Mac. This seems like a better solution - the files will always be available on any networked computer.

Not in any meaningful way. If you mean that individual elements don't have a great deal of depth and that there's an emphasis on not having extraneous chrome around content, then yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=DM8NSSzxNGM

Looks pretty similar to me.

Moose
Senior User
Jun 14, 2013, 01:01 PM

And name the labels so they make sense to someone other than you. Also don't remember when they let you start sorting by colors.
You've been able to do that at least as far back as Snow Leopard. You've also been able to sort by Label since at least Mountain Lion (I just checked). I don't know how far back, because I don't keep old versions of OSX around, nor have I ever used Labels at all ever, even going back to Classic Mac OS.

What Label functionality, exactly, are you claiming that System 7 had that Mac OS X lacked until Mavericks?

Except that you still have to move the files around. The solution to that is to save to iCloud, but that makes the files stuck there unless you have the same iWork app on the Mac. This seems like a better solution - the files will always be available on any networked computer.
iWork for iOS uses the same “iCloud” store as the iWork that runs in the browser, so if you used the native iWork apps on the iPad and the browser-based ones on the Mac, I'm not really sure how the files would be “stuck” anywhere. Indeed, you can't even use the iCloud web apps in Safari for iPad.

Superficially, yes, some aspects of iOS 7 look similar to Windows Phone. As I said, individual UI elements lack much depth, and there's a great deal of emphasis on spending more screen real estate on content than chrome. Windows Phone, however, takes a different approach to accessing different parts of the device than iOS, and this rather important part hasn’t changed. iOS 7 is still fundamentally the same OS. Almost all of the gestures to which you are accustomed remain the same. That’s what I meant by “not in any meaningful way.”

If you think that UI is only about how it looks and not also how it works, then screenshot comparisons are probably going to leave you with the assumption that iOS 7 does nothing more than rip off Windows Phone and recent versions of Android. But that'll leave you with an errant assumption.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2013, 01:20 PM

Actually, the color scheme is similar, but apart from the incoming call screen, iOS 7 is a lot closer to iOS 6 than to Windows Phone in every screenshot shown in that video.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2013, 09:17 PM

I heard a rumour that there is an energy consumption tab in the activity monitor next to memory and cpu, and the battery menu extra now shows battery hungry apps.

Also basic apps like VLC don't automatically switch to the discrete card on MBP's.

Hope these rumours are true.

OreoCookie
Jun 14, 2013, 11:57 PM

And name the labels so they make sense to someone other than you. Also don't remember when they let you start sorting by colors. Don't get me wrong, I use the colors in Finder, but I used the labels in OS9 and below much more (partially because they tinted the entire icon, not just the text, admittedly).
You can rename the name of the colors in the Finder prefs so that you get an association between the word Important and the label color red, for instance. Of course, it's nowhere near the same thing as tags which are far, far more powerful.
I think those videos miss the significance of the contribution Microsoft has made: Apple has not taken Microsoft's Windows Phone and copied certain apps, screens or features, Apple has taken Microsoft's design ideas which underlie Windows Phone and Windows 8 Metro, e. g. the use of type, focus on content, less ornamentation, border-to-border designs, etc.

To me, this is far more powerful and important than comparing the screenshot of a carefully arranged Windows Phone lock screen to iOS 7's Notification Center. The second thing people tend to forget is that the iOS app ecosystem has toyed with these design ideas for a long time. If anything, a lot of the other design ideas come from there. Not only do apps like Letterpress, The Magazine or Vesper use rather flat and muted designs with a focus on type, but the use of depth to layer and arrange information plays a crucial role.

mindwaves
Jun 15, 2013, 12:21 PM

I hope some aspects of OS X gets affected by design of iOS 7. I always said that the emphasis on typefaces of Windows Phone should be done by Apple.

Does anyone know if Mavericks will undergo icon changes like in iOS 7?

P
Jun 15, 2013, 01:02 PM

What Label functionality, exactly, are you claiming that System 7 had that Mac OS X lacked until Mavericks?
I wanted to sort by label, which sort of implies naming the labels, but it turns out I can now. Never mind.

iWork for iOS uses the same “iCloud” store as the iWork that runs in the browser, so if you used the native iWork apps on the iPad and the browser-based ones on the Mac, I'm not really sure how the files would be “stuck” anywhere.
Stuck as in "I need to buy software for both the Mac and iPad to have easy access to my files."

Indeed, you can't even use the iCloud web apps in Safari for iPad.
That makes it dramatically less useful. Did they say this somewhere, or do you have a dev account and can test?

Superficially, yes, some aspects of iOS 7 look similar to Windows Phone. As I said, individual UI elements lack much depth, and there's a great deal of emphasis on spending more screen real estate on content than chrome. Windows Phone, however, takes a different approach to accessing different parts of the device than iOS, and this rather important part hasn’t changed. iOS 7 is still fundamentally the same OS. Almost all of the gestures to which you are accustomed remain the same. That’s what I meant by “not in any meaningful way.”

If you think that UI is only about how it looks and not also how it works, then screenshot comparisons are probably going to leave you with the assumption that iOS 7 does nothing more than rip off Windows Phone and recent versions of Android. But that'll leave you with an errant assumption.
Thank you, I know that the user experience is more than just how it looks. All I said was that iOS 7 looks like Metro, and your response is that it is only the looks, so...What are we disagreeing about, really?

Lebensmuede
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2013, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Of course, it's nowhere near the same thing as tags which are far, far more powerful.
Maybe it's still a little early for tutorials, seeing how the OS is still in beta, but could someone point me to a site or explain in a few words/with a couple of examples how to most effectively integrate the new features of tags and Finder tabs into a normal workflow? Thanks.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 15, 2013, 06:34 PM

To do that, we'd have to all agree on a "normal workflow."

It looks like Finder Tabs is essentially tabbed browsing in Finder, much like tabbed browsing in a web browser. Having a single window with multiple tabs could be simpler to use in switching from one tab (Finder view) to another.

Tagging looks like keyword tagging; metadata for files and (probably) folders. I don't see an opening in my own workflows for that, but I don't do tagging in any other context, so I'm not a good source of assistance there.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2013, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lebensmuede View Post
Maybe it's still a little early for tutorials, seeing how the OS is still in beta, but could someone point me to a site or explain in a few words/with a couple of examples how to most effectively integrate the new features of tags and Finder tabs into a normal workflow? Thanks.
Apple - OS X Mavericks - Do even more with new apps and features.

Apple - OS X Mavericks - Do even more with new apps and features.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2013, 04:19 PM

Does anyone else think its kind of a shame we didn't get one last cat, just to complete the set? Surely OS 11 would have been a better time to change the naming system?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2013, 04:48 PM

I think Macs will stay on OS X as long as they exist. They've defined the "X" as "unix-based".

mindwaves
Jun 16, 2013, 06:42 PM

OS X Bobcat is a decent name.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2013, 04:31 AM

I hope some aspects of OS X gets affected by design of iOS 7. I always said that the emphasis on typefaces of Windows Phone should be done by Apple.

Does anyone know if Mavericks will undergo icon changes like in iOS 7?
I doubt it, I think more sweeping changes will come with the following OS version.
I think its telling there were no hardware requirement changes for 10.9 - will help make it easier to explain when they slaughter all the core 2 duo's in MacOS XI. I can't wait!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2013, 05:44 AM

OS X Bobcat is a decent name.
OS X Bobtail, by contrast, is not.

Ham Sandwich
Jun 17, 2013, 08:13 AM

What about OS X Cocktail?

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2013, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
OS X Bobtail, by contrast, is not.
How about OSX Bobsyouruncle?
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2013, 05:53 AM

DP2 has started changing the icons.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2013, 11:59 PM

Uhm, not.

-t

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2013, 09:55 AM

Oh my god almighty that Finder icon is hideous.

Also: part of the problem with trying to make a unified icon theme for a desktop OS is that people who are OCD about it (like me) won't want to keep any OTHER icons in the dock until those applications have the same themed look.

This looks more and more like Metro, too, with the new thinner font and all the flatness. Interesting.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2013, 01:48 PM

DP2 only came out yesterday.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2013, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Try this: Connectix RAM Doubler was finally Sherlocked is OSX Maverick
3.1HowTo.html

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2013, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Try this: Connectix RAM Doubler was finally Sherlocked is OSX Maverick
3.1HowTo.html
That's not 100% correct.

The main gains from using RAMdoubler was writing VM out to the HD.
This has been done for ages by OS X. Only a small amount of RAM was "gained" by compression.

Don't forget, the CPU was much less powerful back then, so on the fly compression was just not possible in the same manner as it is today.

-t

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2013, 02:04 PM

While not claiming to know how Ram Doubler worked, simply explaining that CPUs were not as powerful in 1996 doesn't take away the fact that 1996 desktops had 64MB RAM at best.
And you have the MIPS per MHz superiority of PowerPC.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2013, 02:14 PM

What does any of that have to do with anything?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2013, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
What does any of that have to do with anything?
The nineties are the new eighties.

Forum Links
Forum Rules