Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Bird Flu: How Concerned Are You? 50% Die

Bird Flu: How Concerned Are You? 50% Die (Page 3)
wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2005, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
If this birdbrain flu would only infect liberals it would indeed be a gift from above.
The flu will affect everyone. Best to get a flu shot. I plan on getting one as always.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 17, 2005, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
The flu will affect everyone. Best to get a flu shot. I plan on getting one as always.
Getting a regular flu shot has nothing to do with the Bird Flu though I believe. I might be wrong but just because somebody has a regular flu shot doesn't mean they will be immune from any Bird Flu.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2005, 06:14 PM

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2005, 06:22 PM

Isn't the worry about the Bird virus mutating?

Therefore, doesn't the previous inoculation not do a damn thing once the virus mutates?

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 17, 2005, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
Yes, the "regular" flu, but I thought we were talking about the Bird Flu.

andi*pandi
Oct 17, 2005, 06:39 PM

a regular flu shot will not help the bird flu. I posted links! informative links!

and pachead, I'm amazed as usual by your love and consideration of your fellow man. I may not agree with Republicans all the time, but I'm not wishing them dead. :/

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
Yes, the "regular" flu, but I thought we were talking about the Bird Flu.
So did I.

Even the regular Flu shot isn't gaurenteed to work.

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 17, 2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
and pachead, I'm amazed as usual by your love and consideration of your fellow man. I may not agree with Republicans all the time, but I'm not wishing them dead. :/
Oh come on, that was just a joke. Don't people have any sense of humor ?

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2005, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Artful Dodger
If that's what you think, then you have not even bothered to look up NNVC. How is that stock banking on people's misery? I hope you don't have the same view for the polio cure and penicilin. Those 2 drugs have ended a lot of misery for a lot of people. You have a problem with capitalism. So do I, but it's not like i'm investing in tobacco or guns...it's nano-technology for crying out loud!!! Anyway...NNVC went up 65% today. Try this one.....another good call for now is Leapfrog....educational toys for children....Now that's a good purpose. Take Care, Pendergast....i've had a good time chatting with ya
hey... anytime.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2005, 06:59 PM

Whole lot of talk about something that isn't going to affect anybody here. This whole thing has been way overblown by the media.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2005, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG
Whole lot of talk about something that isn't going to affect anybody here. This whole thing has been way overblown by the media.
I think you are wrong. We need to purchase ourslves labs and bio-secure facilities for our basements.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2005, 07:13 PM

It's good that people are finally thinking about possibilities, even if this specific strain is being overhyped. The fact is that every winter we have new strains of influenza circulating. Mutated strains from last year that, while usually benign enough to not significantly harm us, take time for our bodies to make new antibodies against.

When a strain comes along with a mortality rate as high as that of this bird flu, I would like to know that the government has some contingency plans in place to contain its spread.

andi*pandi
Oct 17, 2005, 07:50 PM

concrete bunkers in west virginia, montana, and arizona.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2005, 09:44 PM

Here is an update:

Avian Influenza A (H5N1): Activity in Asia and Eastern Europe

Updated: October 17, 2005
The Public Health Agency of Canada continues to closely monitor occurrences of avian influenza A (H5N1), or “bird flu”, in birds and in humans in Asia and in birds in Eastern Europe.

Avian influenza H5N1 detected in birds in Romania

The European Union laboratory at Weybridge confirmed, on October 15, the presence of avian influenza H5N1 in samples taken from diseased birds in Romania. The virus in Romania is linked to the strain circulating in Asia and Turkey.

Source: EU - Europa

Human Cases

Human cases of avian influenza A (H5N1) have been reported in Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, and most recently Indonesia. The spread in humans has occurred in three distinct periods or waves of activity, since late-December 2003, when human cases were first reported.

Summary of Laboratory Confirmed Human Cases since December 2003

Indonesia 5 human case of avian influenza A (H5N1) infection, including 3 deaths.
Vietnam 91 human cases of avian influenza A (H5N1) infection, including 41 deaths.
Cambodia 4 human cases of avian influenza A (H5N1) infection, all of which have been fatal.
Thailand: 17 human cases of avian influenza A (H5N1) infection, including 12 deaths. Note: the last reported case in Thailand occurred in October of 2004.
Note: Any significant change in this outbreak situation (i.e. geographic region, a large increase in case numbers, etc.) will result in the release of an updated advisory; however, minor situational changes will be updated periodically.

Outbreak in Poultry

Since mid-December 2003, several Asian countries have reported avian influenza A ( H5N1 ) outbreaks in poultry; the disease has also been reported in wild birds and pigs.

According to the World Organization for Animal Health and based on criteria established in the Terrestrial Animal Health Code (2005), H5N1 infection in birds continues to persist in Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Russia, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, and Turkey. The virus has also recently been confirmed, in birds, in the previously unaffected country of Romania.

Source: World Health Organization, World Organization for Animal Health, EU - Europa

Information on Avian Influenza A (H5N1)

Avian influenza A (H5N1) is a contagious viral infection that is thought to affect all species of birds; although rare, infection in humans can occur. The first documented infection of humans with the avian influenza A (H5N1) v irus occurred in Hong Kong in 1997, when the strain caused severe respiratory disease in 18 humans, six of whom died. The infection in humans coincided with an epidemic of H5N1 in Hong Kong's domestic poultry population.

Investigation into human cases of H5N1 suggests that direct contact with infected poultry has been the primary, if not the exclusive, means of infection; although, in a small number of instances a link to direct contact with infected poultry was not identifiable. In a few cases it would appear that human-to-human transmission may have occurred. However, such cases involved extended close personal contact with an infected individual (i.e. providing bedside care for an infected relative) and no further transmission occurred.

At this time, there is no vaccine that protects against the avian influenza A (H5N1) virus. While the current seasonal flu shot does not protect against the H5N1 virus, immunization with it may be of benefit for travellers to geographic regions where human cases of H5N1 are being reported. Individuals who are immunized with the seasonal influenza vaccine are less likely to contract seasonal influenza; this in turn reduces the likelihood of an immunized individual becoming infected with both human and avian forms of influenza at the same time. Should a person be infected with both viruses at the same time, there is a possibility that the two viruses could “mix” and mutate into a new virus that could spread efficiently and against which humans would have no immunity.

Several anti-viral drugs are available for the prevention and treatment of seasonal influenza in Canada. Although, none of the anti-viral drugs have been shown to prevent H5N1, studies done through the WHO Global Influenza Surveillance Network have shown that the anti-viral Oseltamivir may be effective in the treatment of A (H5N1).
Recommendations

As a precautionary measure, the Public Health Agency of Canada recommends that it would be prudent that travellers to Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Russia , Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Turkey, and Romania , where avian influenza A (H5N1) outbreaks in fowl are confirmed, consider the following measures:

Avoid unnecessary contact with domestic poultry and wild birds. This includes poultry farms as well as markets where live and slaughtered animals such as chickens and ducks are sold, as these animals have been found to be carriers of the avian influenza A (H5N1) virus. Evidence suggests that the risk of infection is greatest in persons having direct contact with live and/or dead poultry including surfaces contaminated with their feces or secretions. Travellers should be aware that it is possible for the avian influenza A (H5N1) virus to stick to hair and clothing, and may be inhaled.

Ensure that poultry prepared for consumption is thoroughly cooked (juice runs clear and no visible pink meat) to eliminate the risk of infection. Internal temperatures for whole chicken and parts should reach 82°C-85°C. While to date there is no evidence that the virus is transmitted through contaminated food, it is always advisable to avoid undercooked or raw poultry dishes, including eggs and egg products.

Follow normal precautions regarding food storage, handling and preparation. Travellers are advised to maintain high standards of hygiene, including thorough hand washing, particularly after having contacted eggs or undercooked fowl and egg products and to avoid cross contamination with other food products. Using hot, soapy water and lathering for at least 20 seconds is the single most important procedure for preventing infections. This is because disease-causing micro-organisms can frequently be found on the hands. Alternatively, travellers can use waterless, alcohol-based antiseptic hand rinses. If there is visible soiling, hands should be washed with soap and water before using waterless antiseptic hand rinses. If soap and water are unavailable, cleanse hands first with detergent-containing towelettes to remove visible soil.

Emile M. Cioran

Forum Links
Forum Rules