Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is 10.5.5 consistently not working with external displays?

Is 10.5.5 consistently not working with external displays?
Le Flaneur
Senior User
Sep 16, 2008, 07:42 PM

I've read on two Apple Discussions threads that external displays cease to work when users upgrade to 10.5.5, including Apple's own Cinema Display. I have a 20" Apple Cinema Display connected to a PowerBook G4/1.67 Ghz. Are upgraders to 10.5.5 consistently seeing this problem, including with Apple's displays?
( Last edited by Le Flaneur; Sep 17, 2008 at 07:54 AM. Reason: added information about host computer)

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2008, 09:30 PM

No problems so far with the external Dell display attached to my MacBook.

Cold Warrior
Sep 16, 2008, 09:40 PM

I encountered an issue today with my Dell 20" LCD connected to my MBP C2D. I woke up the computer for the first time after installing 10.5.5 and it didn't auto-wake or auto-recognize the LCD. Never had this problem before. The MBP's screen was fine though, so I went in to system prefs > displays and chose 'detect displays'. After that, it recognized the external. I'll put it to sleep again tonight and will just have to check to see if the issue repeats.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2008, 03:00 AM

The two 23" ACDs I have hooked up to my MBP are working as good as always with 10.5.5.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2008, 03:26 AM

No problems with my two 20" Cinema Displays hooked up to an 8800GT.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2008, 07:17 AM

Portables with external displays hooked up need to re-detect displays. This needs to be done only once.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Sep 17, 2008, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by hwojtek View Post
Portables with external displays hooked up need to re-detect displays. This needs to be done only once.
This apparently doesn't work for some people with MacBooks (with 4GB of RAM?).

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2008, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Le Flaneur View Post
This apparently doesn't work for some people with MacBooks (with 4GB of RAM?).
While that may be true for *some* people, I happily report that my 23" ACD is functioning just fine attached to my 2.2 GHz MacBook with 4GB of RAM and running OS 10.5.5 . It also works fine attached to a 15" MBP with 4GB installed, also running 10.5.5. (Needless to say, the portables are not connected to the ACD at the same time. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules