Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > is there a noticeable diff between dual 1.8 and dual 2.0 macs?

is there a noticeable diff between dual 1.8 and dual 2.0 macs?
nycdunz
Senior User
Feb 9, 2004, 04:48 PM

anyone? if not then i might as well get a dual 1.8

bpd115
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2004, 05:50 PM

If you're looking at the refurbs, check smalldog, as they are expecting dual 2.0s on the 17th.

To answer your question I'd say it depends on what you're doing and what your budget is.

The dual 1.8 would have handled anything I needed it to most likely, but I had the budget for the dual 2.0 so I went that route....

What is more important to you? 400.00 or having a slightly faster machine? Either way you can't go wrong

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2004, 06:12 PM

I think the biggest difference is in the standard video card offerings: An Nvidia FX5200 in the dual 1.8 vs an ATI 9600 in the Dual 2.0

The ATI 9600 is a much faster card. Also, in my experience, the 2d output is much sharper and clearer.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2004, 06:57 PM

The best bang for the buck is the dual 1.8 with Radeon 9600 Pro. The dual 2.0 (with the same video card) would be 11% faster.

I find that for most daily usage, you need a >15% speed increase before you really notice the difference.

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2004, 08:48 PM

I also think that the Dual 1.8 is the best bang for the buck. I wish I had some CPI numbers, we could really talk about efficiency/dollar then.

If you can, I would reccomend getting the 9800, as its the best investment for long term gaming. Many G5 owners complain that the 9600 limits their game playability.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2004, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
The best bang for the buck is the dual 1.8 with Radeon 9600 Pro. The dual 2.0 (with the same video card) would be 11% faster.

I find that for most daily usage, you need a >15% speed increase before you really notice the difference.

What he said!

Forum Links
Forum Rules