Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Command & Conquer Generals - Well?

Command & Conquer Generals - Well?
Switched2Mac
Baninated
Apr 17, 2004, 10:23 AM

Supposedly is out now.

I would like to know the playability of this game on various Mac computers (iBook, PowerBook, etc.)

Can someone post their results here along with their system specs?

Thanks in advance!

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2004, 08:27 PM

Played the demo on my QS dual 800 with 1.2 GB ram and nVidia GeForce3. Plays very well.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

derekn
Senior User
Apr 18, 2004, 01:57 PM

Runs great on my SP 1.2Ghz MDD, 768MB of RAM, stock Radeon 9000, running 10.3.3.

Lags a tiny bit when with a lot of action, but is VERY smooth overall with the default settings. I'm tempted to throw it up a bit, see how things perform. Stability has been rock solid since the 1.0.1 update came out, not one crash at all.

I really like the work i5Works did. Most games quit kind of slowly, I get the beachball for 20 seconds or so when I quit them. C&C just quits and it's done, VERY nice.

It is out BTW, my copy will be delivered tomorrow and most of the onlice places all have it now.

billybob128
Senior User
Apr 18, 2004, 03:52 PM

well i spent the last two days trying to download it on a dial up and so i was Very happy to see it had finished just now.

untill i tried mounting it

Error - 199 C&C generals has failed to mount!!!!!!

as you all may be able to see i am VERY pissed off with this is there any quick fix or will i need to re-download it.

if i need to re-download im on a 2MB download link tomorro so that is ok

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2004, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by billybob128:
...dial up...
DSL is cheap, you know.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 02:22 PM

You know, I was sooooo looking forward to C&C Generals. The same day the demo came out I downloaded it and was glad to see that it played very smoothly on my Quicksilver dual 1G/GForceTi.

That said, I have to say I was pretty underwhelmed by the demo. I'm not much of a gamer (I think I say that in every thread) but this game just seemed kinda...I don't know...slow. Maybe it's not a fair comparison, but I think Age of Mythology is better looking and more engrossing. Am I missing something? Is the full version that much more exciting?

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by KeyLimePi:
You know, I was sooooo looking forward to C&C Generals. The same day the demo came out I downloaded it and was glad to see that it played very smoothly on my Quicksilver dual 1G/GForceTi.

That said, I have to say I was pretty underwhelmed by the demo. I'm not much of a gamer (I think I say that in every thread) but this game just seemed kinda...I don't know...slow. Maybe it's not a fair comparison, but I think Age of Mythology is better looking and more engrossing. Am I missing something? Is the full version that much more exciting?
I kind of felt the same way about the demo, and especially because it was a bloody large download. Also, on my ghz Tibook (512 ram), I didn't find it to run all that well. Decently for the most part, but considering the animations aren't anything too special, it seemed as though it could have run a lot more smoothly.

billybob128
Senior User
Apr 19, 2004, 03:54 PM

yeah but broadband only comes out where i live next week - cant wait.

i live out in the woods basically

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

Olorin
Apr 21, 2004, 05:33 PM

I have a TiBook 1Ghz... seems like it may be a waste to bother buying this game ha?
"Not all who wander are lost." ~ Gandalf

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2004, 06:55 PM

I have a 1GHz eMac. Runs very well on the lowest settings although it occasionally skips a bit during cut-scenes.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

derekn
Senior User
Apr 23, 2004, 01:58 AM

So far I'm real happy with the full version. I've had one slowdown, but the main cuase is due to my tactic more than anything else I think. It's mission 4 I think, where you have to cross that bridge, take out the GLA camp, then when you think it's over, they come out of a new camp and destory a Dam. It isolates you from your original base and you have to establish a new base on the other side. I did that once and results were less than stellar. LOL Loads of GLA come at you, so I evacuate all my forces to the other side (with my original base), then when the second half of the mission starts, I evacuate all of the new forces to the other side too. All the GLA forces congregate on the coast, right next to the water but some end up IN the water. They can't get to me of course, but that doesn't stop them from trying. The performance lags a fair bit when that happens, as soon as all of them are taken care of though, especially the ones in the water, the performance is back to normal.

If you have doubts about performance etc, try the demo. Like it? Buy it.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2004, 06:46 PM

This is a pretty fun game.

Jupeman
Apr 25, 2004, 07:51 PM

I was originally disappointed with the game compared to Starcraft and Warcraft III. I plugged a long and played another scneario (I started with the USA, didn't notice it was the third thing you were supposed to do) and I must say I'm getting hooked on the game. It is good and I'm glad I bought it.

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2004, 04:00 AM

I played the demo, and it didn't run very well on my Dual 867, 1 GB RAM, Radeon 9600. I ran it at 1024 x 768, and there was slow down everywhere. I turned the res down to 800 x 600, and it ran OK. The game is quite fun (from at least what I've played of it). I just wish I could run it at 1024 x 768 without so many hiccups.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

atlcane
Apr 30, 2004, 11:11 AM

How will this run on my 800Mhz iMac? 1gig of RAM, 32MB Graphics Card.

I want the game but am nervious that it will not run well.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2004, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by atlcane:
How will this run on my 800Mhz iMac? 1gig of RAM, 32MB Graphics Card.

I want the game but am nervious that it will not run well.
That's what the demo is for.

http://www.macgamefiles.com/download.php?item=18116

Try it for yourself.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2004, 05:33 PM

I am loving this game.

It runs like butter on my Dual 1.47.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 12:22 AM

its playable on my iBook surprinsingly. 640 ram, 900 mhz and the like, I use the middle settings w/ 800X640 res

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2004, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by boy8cookie:
its playable on my iBook surprinsingly. 640 ram, 900 mhz and the like, I use the middle settings w/ 800X640 res
Does the units move like it's slow-motion?

Cipher13
May 1, 2004, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by boy8cookie:
Really? It barely works on my iBook 900/640... on the lowest settings and lowest resolution (800*600, not 800*640). It took forever to load the game, and probably a good 10 minutes to load the first training mission, and even then, the soldiers moved like it was slow-motion.

I know it's not exactly a gaming machine, but still...

Switched2Mac  (op)
Baninated
May 2, 2004, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
I am loving this game.

It runs like butter on my Dual 1.47.
It really is an addicting game.

I hope Aspyr puts out the Zero Hour add-on as well.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 2, 2004, 01:42 AM

I just want to be able to play online against PC weenies.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

jlfspook
May 4, 2004, 08:06 PM

What command do you use for chatting while you're playing against someone?

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2004, 08:13 PM

Press return to chat to all and backspace/delete to chat with allies.
Revenge is a meal best served cold.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
May 14, 2004, 05:26 PM

Are there any map editors for the Mac version? Can you use PC created maps?

FurionStormrage
May 14, 2004, 07:47 PM

I just want to be able to play online against PC weenies.
Yeah, me too. So I bought the PC version.
I do not suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 16, 2004, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by FurionStormrage:
Yeah, me too. So I bought the PC version.
I've had the PC version for over a year and I'm tempted to see how the demo runs on my G5. I can run the game at 1600x1200 with full detail on my PC.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2004, 04:36 PM

I like the game. I am a bit surprised at the performance though. This is the first game I've encountered that really demands too much from my machine, which is a dual 1Ghz PowerMac, 1.5GB RAM, and an nVidia GeForce 3 video card. Halo ran just fine on my machine, but this kills it. I have only been using 1024x768 resolution, but I had to tone down the graphics settings from Med. to Low. Honestly the visual differences are slight in my perspective. I'll admit though I would really appreciate being able to display higher resolutions and graphics settings. Are there resolutions higher than 1024 x 768 available to users of faster machines? Are G5 users able to turn all the graphics settings to their highest level and achieve playable performance?

I think this game is just like Warcraft as far as the type of game is concerned. The specific elements such as units are tailored to modern military units, and the idea of heroes has been replaced with General abilities.

This game for me is quite difficult. I've made it to the last mission of the Chinese campaign, and I've got to say this particular mission has me stumped. I'm just amazed at how quickly GLA units are made; whereas, I believe it's supposed to be one of the China advantages to be able to build in numbers. The trouble I have with this mission arises from several problems: being bombarded by scuds every 5 min and having limited resources initially which demands that you move forward into the city to try and eliminate another GLA cell in order to setup another supply station. Upon entering further in the map you encounter this 2nd GLA cell in the city with lots of buildings which makes it difficult to maneuver your tanks into position to fight the fast moving GLA vehicles. Furthermore, the GLA clearly outnumber you in this battle even after spending your resources on new vehicles after your first cell encounter. I'm hoping the next two campaings don't build upon this level of difficulty, but are reset for each campaign so that the later missions in each campaign are the more difficult ones.

Anyway, I would recommend anyone with a relatively fast mahine that meets the given requirements and enjoys these strategy games.

Neo.cmg

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2004, 05:17 PM

This game must be more GPU than CPU demanding. As one of my computers is the exact same as yours except for a Geforce 4 Titanium. I turn the details to medium and play at 1280x1024 with that computer. On the Dual 2ghz G5 w/Radeon 9800Pro @1600x1024 High settings the game only lags in the chinese mission that is in a huge city. IMO, that last Chinese mission is the hardest one in the game. I found that some missions are just annoying and you get constantly bombarded by small groups of enemy forces...
Ah, to change the resolution edit the Options.ini file in your User Data folder in the C&C Generals folder.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
May 17, 2004, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Neo.cmg:
I like the game. I am a bit surprised at the performance though. This is the first game I've encountered that really demands too much from my machine, which is a dual 1Ghz PowerMac, 1.5GB RAM, and an nVidia GeForce 3 video card. Halo ran just fine on my machine, but this kills it. I have only been using 1024x768 resolution, but I had to tone down the graphics settings from Med. to Low. Honestly the visual differences are slight in my perspective. I'll admit though I would really appreciate being able to display higher resolutions and graphics settings. Are there resolutions higher than 1024 x 768 available to users of faster machines? Are G5 users able to turn all the graphics settings to their highest level and achieve playable performance?

I think this game is just like Warcraft as far as the type of game is concerned. The specific elements such as units are tailored to modern military units, and the idea of heroes has been replaced with General abilities.

This game for me is quite difficult. I've made it to the last mission of the Chinese campaign, and I've got to say this particular mission has me stumped. I'm just amazed at how quickly GLA units are made; whereas, I believe it's supposed to be one of the China advantages to be able to build in numbers. The trouble I have with this mission arises from several problems: being bombarded by scuds every 5 min and having limited resources initially which demands that you move forward into the city to try and eliminate another GLA cell in order to setup another supply station. Upon entering further in the map you encounter this 2nd GLA cell in the city with lots of buildings which makes it difficult to maneuver your tanks into position to fight the fast moving GLA vehicles. Furthermore, the GLA clearly outnumber you in this battle even after spending your resources on new vehicles after your first cell encounter. I'm hoping the next two campaings don't build upon this level of difficulty, but are reset for each campaign so that the later missions in each campaign are the more difficult ones.

Anyway, I would recommend anyone with a relatively fast mahine that meets the given requirements and enjoys these strategy games.

Neo.cmg

for that level, try keeping ur cash below 5000 and they wont scudstorm you. on the right side, there's one access point to your small starting area, cover it with nuke fire (force fire) into the area leading to the entrance, they will take damage, and whatever u have left will finish them off.

my powerbook revC seems to lag on it .. i have yet to download and try it after the 512 mb ram increase ..

considering my p4 2.4 with radeon 9500pro runs the game perfectly smooth with no hiccups at 1600x1200 resolution makes me wonder how my powerbook will do.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 18, 2004, 07:06 PM

Plays like utter crap on my computer - single 1.33 GHz, Radeon 8500, 1 GB of RAM. My brother's single 1.4 with a GeForce 4 Titanium and 1.25 GB of RAM runs it extremely smooth, but mine is just terrible. I think there's a problem with ATI graphics cards - and yes, I have applied all the necessary patches from Aspyr and ATI, and reinstalled. It still didn't help.

Is this a unique case, or are other people also having problems running this game on ATI video cards?

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

JHromadka
Mac Elite
May 18, 2004, 07:29 PM

Can PowerBooks only play at 1024x768? That and 800x600 are the only options I see.

Specs are in my sig.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2004, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
Plays like utter crap on my computer - single 1.33 GHz, Radeon 8500, 1 GB of RAM. My brother's single 1.4 with a GeForce 4 Titanium and 1.25 GB of RAM runs it extremely smooth, but mine is just terrible. I think there's a problem with ATI graphics cards - and yes, I have applied all the necessary patches from Aspyr and ATI, and reinstalled. It still didn't help.

Is this a unique case, or are other people also having problems running this game on ATI video cards?
You're not the one.. I own both ATI 8500 and 9800 and C&C:G ran really bad on both of them.

It have to be a bug since ATI 9800 is tons better than GeForce 3 and yet GF3 ran better than 9800

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2004, 10:21 PM

I don't think its a Radeon 9800 bug, as the game runs beautifuly on mine. But on a Radeon 9000 Mobility I set everything to the lowest and 800x600 resolution and the game still lags

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2004, 11:21 PM

Oh, one other thing not specifically related to Command & Conquer Generals, but to all Aspyr-published games. The Aspyr logo and cut-scene movies all need to be of higher resolution. I would have thought by now that they would have gotten with the times, but it seems every game I encounter I have these low-resolution cut-scenes/movies and a low-res Aspyr logo upon startup which looks really shabby--especially in the case of the movie cut-scenes. They really should improve these areas, as in my opinion low-res cut-scenes takes away from the dessert of progressing through the game.

Neo.cmg

Robertk2012
Forum Regular
May 20, 2004, 12:22 AM

I have a 900 mhz g3 ibook and it doesnt meet the specs of any new game. How nice is that. It will play but is quite slow. Gameplay isnt bad on the lowest settings. Oh well.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
May 21, 2004, 02:46 AM

C&C Generals plays like crap on my Dual 2.0ghz G5! I'm running the game at 1024x768 and it is choppy. This is why I still play games on my PC, which can run the game it 1600x1200 and it is smooth.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

Robertk2012
Forum Regular
May 21, 2004, 08:05 AM

It isnt the macs fault. Its the gamemaker. Warcraft 3 runs very well at high setting and this just barely bearable.

Jupeman
May 22, 2004, 12:08 PM

C&C Generals plays like crap on my Dual 2.0ghz G5! I'm running the game at 1024x768 and it is choppy.
Runs fine on my dual 2ghz G5, 9800 Pro, 1.5GB RAM...

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
May 22, 2004, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Jupeman:
Runs fine on my dual 2ghz G5, 9800 Pro, 1.5GB RAM...
I've got the same machine, but 1GB of RAM, and it's not as smooth as it should be. The frame rate looks to be around 20-25fps most of the time. I'd expect a lot higher.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 22, 2004, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
I've got the same machine, but 1GB of RAM, and it's not as smooth as it should be. The frame rate looks to be around 20-25fps most of the time. I'd expect a lot higher.
I have a dual 1.8 with over 1 Gig RAM. I can confirm. Things are not that smooth here at all on these settings.

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2004, 03:49 PM

Arkham, do you have the latest ATI drivers? I get >50fps at most times(just that American mission where you take out the anti-air flaks get ~30 @1600x1024). Try typing "/r_smp 1" in the console then restarting CoD, it will enable multi-proccesor use.

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2004, 06:51 PM

This is the first game I've purchased for the Mac so maybe I'm not that qualified to comment but it works fine for me on my first gen, 17" 1gig Powerbook. Nice game too. I could get into this gaming lark

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2004, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by schuey100:
This is the first game I've purchased for the Mac so maybe I'm not that qualified to comment but it works fine for me on my first gen, 17" 1gig Powerbook. Nice game too. I could get into this gaming lark
If you like C&C:G then you HAVE to get Warcraft III

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2004, 10:08 AM

I'm busy enough with Commander I could get into this gaming lark. Highly addictive.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2004, 05:50 PM

*Pssst!*

Don't buy WarCraft: III. It's terrible.

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2004, 05:56 PM

*Pssst!*

Don't buy WarCraft: III. It's terrible.

Says you... Pfft
MacBook Pro

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2004, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by Vash:
Arkham, do you have the latest ATI drivers? I get >50fps at most times(just that American mission where you take out the anti-air flaks get ~30 @1600x1024). Try typing "/r_smp 1" in the console then restarting CoD, it will enable multi-proccesor use.

What is the keystroke to bring up the console?

Neo.cmg

PacHead
Baninated
May 25, 2004, 03:04 PM

I have one small gripe about the multiplayer game, besides the fact that it is not cross platform compatible.

I was watching my friend play a game on Gameranger, and I find it odd that there is no option to select RANDOM teams when playing a mulitplayer game, as in AOE2 and many other games. Maybe this will be added in the future ? Is there also no RANDOM option on the peecee version ?

Usually, all the good players choose the same team, causing the game to be over practically before it starts. A Random function would even out the teams a bit more in my opinion.

PacHead
Baninated
May 25, 2004, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
If you like C&C:G then you HAVE to get Warcraft III
I absolutely disagree with that %100. I find C&C G to be very good, but I can't stand WC III. Different strokes 4 different folks, I suppose.

Forum Links
Forum Rules