Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Extra memory for iBook 14" (choosing brand)

Extra memory for iBook 14" (choosing brand)
Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2004, 02:09 PM

Hey. I sold my 2-year-old eMac a few days ago, and I've just placed an order on a 1GHz iBook 14", and I'm now on the hunt for some more RAM for it (no sense in buying it from Apple the way I see it).
I'm not really sure which brand to buy though. The cheapest 512 MB stick I've found (I'm on a budget) is a brand called TwinMOS, but I'm not sure how well it would work with the iBook. Has anyone used this brand in an iBook? Is it worth paying the extra $10-20 to get a more well-known (at least for me ) brand such as Crucial for example?
Both brands have a life-time guarantee, so I'm not really worried about the quality.

Any help is welcome, thanks.

Chito
Senior User
Jul 13, 2004, 02:31 PM

If, as you say, you're not worried about quality go fo the lower price. Personally I use only Crucial. I've used it in every Mac I've owned and have never had a problem. I'm certain that others have had equal results with generic ram, but for me the peace of mind that I get with Crucial is worth the few extra $$$.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Flach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2004, 05:42 PM

The best warranties are the ones you never have to use. Go with a brand that you've either used before and have had a good history with, or use a company like Crucial. I will definitely agree that memory through Apple is a bit over-priced and an unnecessary factory install. As far as retail chain memory, I've had good experience with Centon. Hope that was helpful.

Thraxes
Jul 14, 2004, 03:09 PM

Personally I use Kingston or Infineon because I can get them locally at a major distributer for a very ggod price.

My iBook is now running with a Kingston 512MB module.
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

Kelvin
Jul 15, 2004, 03:22 PM

I ordered 512m from Crucial for my new iBook 14" with Superdrive. I had to pay sales tax so it was about $120. I've had it in my iBook for about 3 weeks now. No crashes or kernal panics and I use it everyday. I've printed and even burned a DVD so it seems to work fine.

Kelvin

Cerbero  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2004, 05:28 PM

Thanks for your replies everyone. I decided to buy the cheaper one though, since I'm planning to buy an Apple Keyboard later on. I'm hoping it'll work out...

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2004, 01:32 AM

A while back, an Apple Store employee said that my iBook's 512 SODIMM was under warranty as well because it was from Crucial. That's kind of a relief.

Half the RAM in my powermac is from crucial and the other half is PNY (at only 12 dollars a stick) and I, thus far, have had no problems. I'm sure you'll be alright with your stick.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

crayola
Jul 24, 2004, 02:40 PM

earlier this week i bought a 1GB ram stick from Transintl. have had it in there for a few days now and haven't had any problems, plus my ibook is noticably more responsive now that i have over a gig of memory.

here's where i got it, just click on your ibook model and it'll let you know the maximum ram your ibook will take and the price: http://www.transintl.com/store/categ...?Category=2462
whatevah!!! i do what i want!!

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 05:00 PM

512 stick from Crucial. No problems.
Also running 2 512 sticks in my G5 from Crucial. No Problems.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules