Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Visual Basic 5 source > OS X app

Visual Basic 5 source > OS X app
+ spiral +
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2004, 04:54 AM

I'm on a synth (alesis micron/ion) mailing list and someone created a patch editor for windows. I would like to try and make it run on OS X as well. If it was originally written in Visual Basic 5, which tools and knowledge do i need to get it working on OS X? Someday i would love to learn to write OS X software, but right now i know nothing, and would like to just have a working OS X version of this patch editor since i don't think anyone else will do it.

I have the developer tools, but figured i would probably need more than that. Is it easy to list a step by step? Is there a conversion tutorial online? Do many things need to be changed?

Thanks for any wisdom!

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 07:27 AM

You'd probably have to use REALbasic, unless you wanted to completely recode it from the ground up (of course you could steal any interesting bits of logic...)

suthercd
Senior User
Dec 27, 2004, 10:10 AM

As Angus said, REALbasic will come as close as you can find on the Mac. You can find a VB Project Converter on their website along with a guide for porting VB to REALbasic. The guide is a good overview of the points to look for when converting and I've had good experience with the converter.

Craig

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 12:57 PM

The URL you point to is 404, perhaps you were looking for http://www.realsoftware.com/realbasi...ngvisualbasic/

+ spiral +  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2004, 01:24 PM

Perfect. Thanks for the link. So, following those instructions i have just a few more questions:

1. Do i just need to change the variables and terms listed in that tutorial?

2. Can RealBASIC just do a search for the terms that won't directly convert?

3. What parts of the original VB project do i need? Everything? I wanted to know what to tell this person what i need.

4. When i go to build a standalone application, is it a matter of selecting a few options and clicking "build"?

Thanks again!

suthercd
Senior User
Dec 27, 2004, 10:38 PM

Sorry for the bad link. When you download the VB project Converter there is documentation that describes how to port from VB to REALbasic. Should give you answers to most of your questions.

Craig

Forum Links
Forum Rules