Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > BBEdit Applescript

BBEdit Applescript
webgodjj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2005, 05:57 PM

Hi,

I constantly am cutting and pasting MS Word documents into bbedit to hand code the text into html. The major bummer, and what I often miss, is the funky characters that MS uses. I would like to create a script to fix these issues, however, don't know where to start, or if someone already has done this...

I need to fix quotes (both double and single) and mdashes. The quotes would turn the smart quotes into regular ones and the mdash would turn into —

suthercd
Senior User
Jul 5, 2005, 11:04 PM

BBedit has find and replace. Select the a character in the pasted text, Find from BBEdit's menu or command-f and then in the window that opens enter your replacement characters and the click the Replace button. You may want to choose the Start at top option before replacing.

Simple.

C-

johnt519
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2005, 11:45 AM

To fix the quotes and emdashes in BBEdit, just choose Convert to ASCII in the Text menu.

From the Users Manual:
Converted characters include umlauted and accented vowels, ligatures, typographer's quotes, and various specialized punctuation forms.

Forum Links
Forum Rules