Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > what feature would YOU add to front row?

what feature would YOU add to front row?
iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2006, 01:53 PM

i constantly find myself falling to sleep to movies and tv shows, but i cant use front row seeing how after the movie finishes, front row goes to its menu and therefore my computer never goes to sleep. my workaround is walking up to my imac, playing the file through quicktime and using the remote to higher/lower volume and skip/replay certain scenes, when the file finishes playing quickime minimizes the window and my computer goes to sleep in 10 min and all is well in my universe.

so my feature would be a sleep feature where the computer would go to sleep after 15min, 30min, 1hr, 1-1/2hrs, 2hrs... so that the constant imagery that front row plays in the menu doesnt wake me at 3am.

what would you add?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2006, 03:43 PM

If you set your computer to sleep in the schedule in the system prefs will front row still keep it awake?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2006, 12:47 AM

1. TV
I'd like to be able to do everything that myth tv can do.
record shows, browse and play my show library, etc.

2. Plug in api, so 3rd parties can add to it!
you could do things like display widgets, get the weather and commute traffic, on your TV
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

eobet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2006, 02:31 AM

The ability to view PDF presentations and flip slides with the remote.

(I can't for the life of me understand why the Preview slideshow option doesn't allow for the remote.)
MBP 1.83 week 12 512mb + 1024mb Corsair memory

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2006, 02:37 AM

Make the iTunes volume control my iTunes volume, not system volume - so it actually changes the output level when using Airport Express.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2006, 05:47 AM

show song rating in iTunes.
Also, whenever I view a slideshow in iPhoto via FrontRow, when it finishes, the screen goes back and i get back to the desktop, rather than FrontRow's iPhoto menu. I'd like a way to just be able to go back to the photo menu, rather than having to go all the way back through several subfolders each time.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2006, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by PurpleGiant
Make the iTunes volume control my iTunes volume, not system volume - so it actually changes the output level when using Airport Express.
No thanks. That would bork Volume Logic which relies on iTunes volume always set to max.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
No thanks. That would bork Volume Logic which relies on iTunes volume always set to max.
It is somewhat needed as an option, since currently using the remote volume controls does absolutely nothing for anyone using Airport Express. So to change volume one must leave Front Row and do in iTunes (assuming stereo/speaker volume controls aren't accessible).

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2006, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleGiant
It is somewhat needed as an option, since currently using the remote volume controls does absolutely nothing for anyone using Airport Express. So to change volume one must leave Front Row and do in iTunes (assuming stereo/speaker volume controls aren't accessible).
Agreed.

There should also be a way to output the audio of music videos through Airport Express imo. Or better yet, an AV Airport Express

Case
Jul 3, 2006, 08:32 PM

Be able to view iPod music.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2006, 11:15 PM

I want a wireless box that hooks to the tv which lets me access things remotely.
like a video version of the Airport Express.

They should be cheap so I can have one for each TV. Less than $100

with a single computer storing all my media, or access to ANY computer on the network - I can get at everything I own from any TV in the house with the simple Front Row interface.
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

porieux
Baninated
Sep 22, 2006, 08:10 AM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 01:49 AM. )

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2006, 08:45 AM

The ability to browse photos without having to use iPhoto.

zerroeffect
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2006, 08:51 AM

- The ability to choose a player other than quicktime so Frontrow doesn't quit when videos that qt can't handle are selected.

- More control with overscan or a tighter interface. Sides are cut off on my standard tv.

- Not a feature, but this program is in desperate need of is optimization. It's slow and seems tacked on.

Si-T
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2006, 08:55 AM

I like the sound of all the aforementioned features. Any/All would be welcome

But what I would really like is an updated Apple remote. The little one is great, but it would be nice to have the choice to purchase a 'pro' remote with a few extra features.

Visnaut
Senior User
Sep 22, 2006, 12:37 PM

Yeah, i second Gavin's wish for a modular plug-in system so you could add new options to the top-level Music/Photos/Movies/DVD menu. Or perhaps just through an 'Extras' top-level menu.

If they did, I would love it if a developer came up with a Games feature. You could either start whatever games you own in full-screen mode, or tie into your emulators, browse your ROMS and then fire them up. I think that would be very cool.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 08:04 PM

a special pr0n setup/inteface

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2006, 08:53 PM

Ability to run FrontRow on a second monitor while still using my main monitor.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2006, 08:54 PM

Acceptable performance.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2006, 11:53 PM

Might be in there somewhere, but Video_TS folder support, with cover art, would be nice.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Gavin
2. Plug in api, so 3rd parties can add to it!
you could do things like display widgets, get the weather and commute traffic, on your TV
Seconded. When I'm at home after a long day of classes/studying, I like to watch the latest videos on digg. Having a google video browser or YouTube plugin would be awesome!

Maybe a little more Internet functionality for those with bluetooth keyboards, but at what point do you draw the line between what you can do in FrontRow and what you do in iTunes/iPhoto etc?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2006, 02:20 AM

I would like to be able to include divx movies to iTunes along with having the ability to play them on the iTV.

jyunderwood
Sep 24, 2006, 02:55 AM

Besides some major things I would like to change... something subtle would be the way preview is handled. With TV Shows I would like it to randomly pick a point down the show to start the preview instead of from the start. For most shows they start out the same. and for movies just show the "cover art".

I also would like third-party plug ins and mainly to see youtube favorites listed instead of the top videos like mediacentral.

Another thing would be ratings. while a song/video is playing, pressing menu would cycle through some menus like airtunes vol, ratings, chapter skip. when a song/video is paused then menu works like it does now... taking you back a level.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 7, 2007, 04:20 PM

I'd make hte remote adjust the volume when using optical audio... I'm pretty pissed about that. My iMac is my TV replacement, and watching DVDs is great, but thanks to apple's brilliant optical audio/volume (LACK OF) integration, I am forced to use two remotes...the apple one, and the stereo. Very ****ing annoying.

Also, I'd like frontrow to be able to play AVis..... or use VLC to play the files somehow.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 10:22 PM

I just need to install the right codec to watch AVIs in Quicktime/Frontrow. Install DivX I think, it's free.

theokandroid
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2007, 06:06 AM

Yeah I need a complete integration of Front Row for my TV. Apple TV is no option as one. I have no HDTV, and two. it doesn't take stuff from Front Row only from iTunes. I have all my films backed up to an external which works great on Front Row because I can just make an alias in my Movies folder, but that all falls apart if I have to store those files in iTunes, which first requires me to convert them all...

Forum Links
Forum Rules