Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Speakers pop and then stop working

Speakers pop and then stop working
bkpbc1
Jun 10, 2006, 02:57 PM

I have a MacBook, and for the 2nd time in a few days, I have been listening to music on iTunes and out of no where I will hear a pop come out of the speakers and the sound will stop (even though the music is still going and it doesn't turn it mute). Then I've paused the song and started it again and the speakers start working again.

Has this happened to anyone else? What could be causing this?

EpKaDe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2006, 11:46 PM

Same thing happens to me...it's odd, but random. I wonder what's up...

Sage
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 12:12 AM

My MacBook also has a problem with external speakers, but slightly different – if no sound is coming from them (i.e., iTunes isn’t playing), they’ll make a popping noise every minute or so. If I’m playing music though, they won’t pop.

Bizarre.

streetlamp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 10:22 PM

I have been experiencing the exact same problems. When I am playing iTunes, the speakers will emit a popping sound, then the sound will cut out. The iTunes will show the song as still "playing". The only solution I have found is to stop the current song, then start it again. This seems to be an okay work around, but it isn't really a solution. I have NOT experienced this problem with headphones plugged in, only when using the built-in speakers.

If ANYONE has a fix or explanation, please let me know.

neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2006, 08:41 PM

I have a dell and i am going to get a macbook but this DID happen to me too when i was playing videos I hope this helps
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 16, 2006, 09:56 PM

That pop is the bias voltage for the speakers (actually on the audio amplifiers' output transistors) coming or going. Obviously when you hear a pop and the music stops it's going. That says that the sound card is turning off... Probably a driver issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

theokandroid
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2007, 10:56 AM

I know I have another thread in this forum but this one sounds exactly like my problem. Now the weird thing is the problem just started and im really hoping there's a way to fix it. Or is it can it be fixed by Apple?

Forum Links
Forum Rules