Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Express Being Kinda Slow

Airport Express Being Kinda Slow
theokandroid
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2007, 10:02 PM

Hey I bought a new Airport Express after having troubles with my POS Linksys router. So setup was a breeze but just for kicks I decided to do a speed test. Im only getting 6mbps! I pay for 10mbps through RCN cable and with my old Linksys I was getting the speeds. Im only getting 75% signal on istumbler even though Im literally 5 feet away. Anyone know what could be causing this? I didnt think I would be downgrading.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 20, 2007, 10:08 AM

Try unplugging the Express for a couple of minutes. A good "reboot" often clears up problems like this.

I guess your Linksys wasn't such a "POS" after all, huh? I personally like Linksys, in spite of the fact that, like every other consumer networking company, they have poor consumer-level customer service (for anyone, not just Mac users). They're much less expensive than Apple's networking products, they don't require some application to manage-just a browser-and they tend to have more features and more wired ports (all the way up to the current Extreme, which finally has four wired ports).

You should also know that there are some circumstances where a minor setting-that doesn't really interact with third-party equipment-can cause problems. Have you messed with "multicast" settings? Anything else in your computer's AirPort setup?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

theokandroid  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2007, 03:16 PM

As of right now there isn't anyone else, I did like the Linksys until I had to reboot it everyday just to get a decent connection. It seems to be better but still isnt quite as fast.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 20, 2007, 06:03 PM

I've seen a lot of people talk badly about Linksys (and other brands) because they had connection problems, and those problems often turned out to be ISP problems. Restart your broadband modem and see if your speed increases. Frankly, there should be no difference in speed between brands for the same type of wireless (B/G/N).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules