Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 88)
cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 22, 2014, 12:16 PM

Very good point on the mineral content. So let's go with the theory that it will be a new map and new mod selection. Here's some 'feedback' questions:

1- mineral light (aka stock vanilla) or mineral heavy (current server)?
2- Twilight forest? (it seems to be a cpu killer when used with any type of flying mod)
3- Magic? Tech? Both? Neither?
4- chunk loaders?

I can say right now that we'll either have a portal style transportation system (colourful portals, portal guns, dimensional doors) OR we'll have a railcraft style mod. not both. Also, I'd like to keep it from being too 'easy' when it comes to stuff. As a group we tend to hit end-game pretty easily so what can we do to keep the end-game interesting?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 22, 2014, 12:38 PM

For reference purposes, a decent list of available 1.7.2 mods.
1.7.2 - MCF Mod List

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post

1- mineral light (aka stock vanilla) or mineral heavy (current server)?
2- Twilight forest? (it seems to be a cpu killer when used with any type of flying mod)
3- Magic? Tech? Both? Neither?
4- chunk loaders?

I can say right now that we'll either have a portal style transportation system (colourful portals, portal guns, dimensional doors) OR we'll have a railcraft style mod. not both. Also, I'd like to keep it from being too 'easy' when it comes to stuff. As a group we tend to hit end-game pretty easily so what can we do to keep the end-game interesting?
1: Any way to have it somewhere between the current server and vanilla? Stock ore levels are a bit sparse (especially gold and diamond) but the current levels are a bit much.
2: Twilight Forest is such a cool adventure dimension, but at this point I feel we've all had a chance playing with it quite a bit. If it's a resource hog I wouldn't die without it.
3: Ars Magica is neat in theory, but I don't really see getting into it, and I think I'm pretty much all set with Thaumcraft, since it keeps changing its research mechanic every month or so. Besides the wand of equal trade, portable hole, and golems there isn't much else that is useful with the other mods. Tech mods are great, as long as they don't unbalance anything.
4: Chunk loaders could maybe be limited to one chunk loaded/one loader per person to keep server load down.

Going by your link here's my wish list.

•Applied Energistics 2 (completely re-done, excited to play with it)
•Bibliocraft (tools racks are sweet)
•Biomes o Plenty
•Blood Magic (interesting magic mod, don't know much about it but can serve all sorts of purposes.)
•Carpenter's Blocks (one way to keep MC fresh is to add more design items, this mod adds a ton of options)
•Dimensional Anchors (chunk loaders than run on fuel, so if someone doesn't log in for a week the chunk will unload)
•Ender Storage (pretty much a must-have at this point)
•Extra Utilities (reeeaaaally looking forward to this)
•Iron Chest (also pretty much standard at this point)
•Jabba (better barrels, no need for Factorization anymore)
•Project Red / Redlogic (basically RedPower)
•TreeCapitator (very nice for early game wood harvesting)
•Thermal Expansion? (didn't see it on the list but I thought it was available for 1.7)

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2014, 05:54 PM

If you want crazy building options then Chisel?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2014, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
If you want crazy building options then Chisel?
Yeah forgot that one, lots of options there.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2014, 11:01 AM

I was wondering if anyone could log into polyphemus and at the back of my base were there are half slabs missing on the wall remove some of the slabs and blocks in the counter clockwise direction. That may free me up.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2014, 12:17 PM

Done and done, hope it helped.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2014, 12:33 PM

Nope, thanks anyways. It looks like the slab in my hot bar needs to go to recover from it. It's a natura bug with slabs on the top half of the block I think.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 25, 2014, 10:56 AM

hmmm... slab in hot bar. I may be able to help with that. I'll take a look this evening.

As for the mods list, I'm liking the selection. Some pondering type questions:
Biomes of plenty vs ???? ... do we care what kind of biomes we have?
Thermal Expansion 2 is out there for 1.7... and it's way nerfed so I'm cool with it.
I like dimensional anchors vs the more traditional type, but I"m still on the fence about this.

Barring unforseen circumstances (the wife is out watching Dr. Who at the theater this evening) I'll be tinkering with 1.7 stuff. Won't affect the live server at all... going to use the play server for this one. We'll see how things go.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2014, 05:42 PM

Is it going to be open for others to test as well? I could try and crash the server with you just let me know when it's live.

What about TE is nerfed compared to previous versions? Power production?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 26, 2014, 10:06 AM

The server will be open to the usual whitelist of folks.. by 'test' I mean 'I'm not touching the existing one while I thinker with this one'.

As for TE, from what I read they re-balanced the power needed for various devices and either have or are considering adjusting the recipes a bit. Nothing significant to game play, but still nerfed.

I'm fine with most mod nerfings. So many of them are way overpowered as they stand (cough cough power suits cough cough )

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2014, 11:22 AM

Yeah the energy demands of the force armor option is a little low, the ingredients do make it endgame equipment though. It takes ~64 ender pearls and over 100 ferrous ore in the latest versions.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 26, 2014, 01:14 PM

one thing I've noticed about Minecraft is that, even with mods, it doesn't have a very strong end-game. The early game can be monotonous at times but it's challenging and varied. Depending on how fast you learn it can be a grueling process or it can be simple. The middle game is quite robust and gives you lots to do. (This is where servers shine and I've noticed the most game play,) The end game, sadly, can get monotonous and boring. My end game is building structures. For others it's making a process more simple, or compact. Others still are natural explorers (which, depending on the mods installed, can wreck havoc on a server... yes, I'm looking at you Twilight Forest). But in all honesty, once we get to the end game it definitely gets boring and we start looking for new mods or greener pastures.

For this mod list I want to keep the middle game going as long as possible. I know the end game will come, but the longer it takes to manifest the happier I'll be

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2014, 05:12 PM

As for TE, from what I read they re-balanced the power needed for various devices and either have or are considering adjusting the recipes a bit. Nothing significant to game play, but still nerfed.

I'm fine with most mod nerfings. So many of them are way overpowered as they stand (cough cough power suits cough cough )
TE replacing BC as a power source for AE2 (so many acronyms) is definitely going to save the server some tick rate at the very least. I'm very much done with oil and combustion engines. Extra Utilities adds a plethora of generators as well, ranging from food-based to powered by ender pearls. Powersuits were waaaaaaay overpowered on the DW server, the railgun being a prime example.

one thing I've noticed about Minecraft is that, even with mods, it doesn't have a very strong end-game. The early game can be monotonous at times but it's challenging and varied. Depending on how fast you learn it can be a grueling process or it can be simple. The middle game is quite robust and gives you lots to do. (This is where servers shine and I've noticed the most game play,) The end game, sadly, can get monotonous and boring. My end game is building structures. For others it's making a process more simple, or compact. Others still are natural explorers (which, depending on the mods installed, can wreck havoc on a server... yes, I'm looking at you Twilight Forest). But in all honesty, once we get to the end game it definitely gets boring and we start looking for new mods or greener pastures.

For this mod list I want to keep the middle game going as long as possible. I know the end game will come, but the longer it takes to manifest the happier I'll be
I think you've hit the nail on the head here. MIddle game is definitely my favored spot. Setting up a proper base, having enough resources to start delving into the mods but still have to go mining once and a while. Having fun trying out new ways of sorting and storage. Heading to the Nether/End for the first time.

Just throwing this out there, if we were to collaborate on a long term large-scale build we might not get burnt out as much. Also, I looked into the new Thaumcraft and I agree with Blaze, either easy mode (click to do research, spends points you get with the lens scanner thingy) or nothing. In the interest of making a lean mod list I can easily go without it.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 26, 2014, 07:57 PM

my thoughts on Thaumcraft... let's use it as an add-on. Meaning, start lean and see where things go. If we hit endgame and want to expand, add Thaum to give us some more life. Maybe add other mods occasionally as well.

Removing mods is DAMN HARD. Adding isn't that difficult.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2014, 10:27 PM

Any reason to not use 1.7.10? Available mods list is even longer than 1.7.2

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 26, 2014, 10:34 PM

That's worth looking at, yes.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 27, 2014, 10:54 AM

OK, looking more deeply into 1.7.10 here's what I see that interests me:

Applied Energestics 2
Backpacks (Eydamos)
Better Storage
BiblioCraft
Carpenter's Blocks
Chisel
Dimensional Anchors
Enhanced Biomes (instead of Biomes of plenty, which is apparently buggy in 1.7.10)
Extra Utilities
Immibis's Microblocks and Redlogic
Iron Chests
JABBA
Not Enough Items
OPIS
TreeCapitator
Vanilla Plus

Now for the "maybe" list:
PortaPortal (since Dim Doors is nowhere near 1.7.10 status)
Redstone Paste
OresPlus
Nether Ores

Now, regarding Magic. My thought is 'no at first' and use them as add-ons for later. Eitehr Thaum, blood magic, or both. I'm also debating IC2 but it's listed as BETA/unstable so probably not.

What do folks think so far?

Sek, as for a group project, what are you thinking of?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2014, 11:44 AM

Add Hopper ducts to the maybe list? Its from the redstone paste guy. They end up more expensive than the Extra Utilities pipes but use less exotic materials.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 27, 2014, 11:56 AM

That sounds like a good add.
Also the Dungeon Pack is 1.7.10 compatible. Formerly known as better dungeons. The giant buildings full of bad guys and such. Definitely lower the spawn rate though.

One thing I haven't experimented with is using technic with version 1.7.10 (and the new forge load). So this may get 'interesting' to load the mods on the machines. We'll see how it goes once I get a mod cocktail working well.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2014, 12:11 PM

Add Thermal Expansion to the list and you've got one heck of a modpack.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2014, 05:00 PM

TE isn't ready for 1.7.10

There's no terrain obliteration support in that for anyone thinking of building big.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2014, 05:00 PM

Sek, as for a group project, what are you thinking of?
Damned if I know, hah.

I'm envisioning something that would require materials not easily crafted on a large scale in early-mid game, but it would have to also be something we could work on right out of the gate. Castle/Village is a bit run-of-the-mill, Blaze already won the Dome Award 2 years ago, I use the same wooden stair roofs on everything... Andi always makes nice looking builds, maybe she'll come up with something.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2014, 05:05 PM

TE isn't ready for 1.7.10
Bummer, I had read 1.7.2 was kind of buggy in general and people have leaned towards 1.7.10. It'll probably be ready soon enough anyways we could move forward without it.

There's no terrain obliteration support in that for anyone thinking of building big.
Looks like Tinker's is Beta as well, so no ender quarry + excavator combo hah.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2014, 05:30 PM

I watch some of the Forgecraft guys on twitch and there are the TE machines but no pipes.

Gravestone Mod for the adventure challenged
Maybe Openblocks

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2014, 06:03 PM

I've just been watching Dire's new series, what guys on twitch do you usually watch?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2014, 09:40 PM

Soaryn, Packratt, sometimes sevadus or morvelaira if they're on.

BTW I can get on the modded server now.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2014, 10:26 PM

How?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2014, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
How?
The old one. The slabs are gone. Don't make Natura wood slabs

andi*pandi
Aug 28, 2014, 11:01 AM

back from vacation... hi all!

I never get to the endgame, certainly not as fast as you all (stuck in thaumcraft, find machines tedious) but like the adventuring/creating. If no twilight forest, then at least better dungeons would be great.

colorful portals
backpacks
carpenter blocks

as for a group project... pick a scene from a movie, or tv show? Have a large topiary/statue garden?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2014, 03:03 PM

One to look into as well FastCraft

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2014, 04:58 PM

Uhh yeah that's looks cool, very cool.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 28, 2014, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
colorful portals
backpacks
carpenter blocks

as for a group project... pick a scene from a movie, or tv show? Have a large topiary/statue garden?
Right now, Colorful portals is 1.6.4 only. Haven't seen an update yet but have seen alternatives.

Backpacks are a must, so no worries there.

Carpenter blocks is looking really cool.

As for a group project, my first thought was 'skyscraper' but that quickly morphed into 'arco' a la Sim City. Size it so it fits in a single chunk load and is completely self sufficient. A basement down to near bedrock level and go up toward the sky limit.

Thoughts?

PS regarding adventuring...Twilight Forest can be added in later if we want it. In the meantime, better dungeons was renamed Dungeon Pack. No battle towers in this one, though. And i'll drop the spawn rate of the dungeons so they are more fun to go find.

[1.7.10][SMP/Bukkit][Forge][DungeonPack][+24 Dungeons][+3 Bosses][+2 NPC-Villages] Mod Support! - Minecraft Mods - Mapping and Modding - Minecraft Forum - Minecraft Forum

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2014, 11:33 AM

You're not talking about a single 16x16 chunk I hope. With the mods listed it's possible to make a tree farm like I did before with redpower blockbrakers only 90% AE.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Aug 29, 2014, 12:52 PM

no, I was thinking more of a 48x48 (3x3 chunk) block or even an 80x80 (5 chunk) block. From experience, 80 x 80 is fairly massive when doing in tower format.

Again, just an idea. As an update, I have a working 1.7.10 server. Now to layer in the mods and get the Technics package developed. First up, Forge

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2014, 12:29 PM

Wow, moving right along, awesome.

If you get something up and running today/tonight just post here, the little lady is out of town for a couple days so I've got some time on my hands.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 1, 2014, 10:03 PM

so here's the scoop. I'm not sure why, I'm not sure how, but microblocks is being a pain. it will load on the server just fine, but try and load it through Technic and it errors out. I'm going to try removing it all together and see if that works, but it's bizarre.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 1, 2014, 10:12 PM

AHA! turns out Dimensional Anchors has an error with the latest version of immibus mods (redstone and microblocks). I'm going to ditch dim anchors for now and see if that clears the air. we can work in another chunk loader later.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 2, 2014, 10:30 AM

Well, that was a fun weekend. Progress is being made, but slowly. First the bad news:
1- I still can't get a client to connect to the server without it crashing. The server works, the client works. Together they no workie.
2- Immibus mods are out. Causing some kind of conflict. Went to an alternative redlogic product instead.

the good news:
1- the client side works great locally. I'll post how to get it through technic later today/tonight.
2- I suspect the server side is more an issue with memory and Java than it is the mods itself. Or possibly configuration issues. Regardless, I don't think it's a deal breaker.

So far the second biggest hurdle after immibus has been the extra biomes add-ons. I may switch to Plenty of Biomes to see if that's better, but it's still under heavy 1.7.10 development. Do we need more than stock biomes? or, better question, should we look into alternative biome generation (like underground biomes) and keep the surface ones stock?

cycl0pse

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2014, 10:53 AM

The extra biomes are pretty but some of them have large leafy trees that cause client render performance to drop. I can live without them. My tree farm plans are birch because I'm guessing no Natura.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 2, 2014, 11:17 AM

I hadn't considered Natura this time, but you raise a point. How about ditch any extra biomes but add Natura for variety?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2014, 04:10 PM

...I can live without them...
The biomes are really cool, but I can't play on a render distance far enough to really enjoy the landscape, so I can live without it as well.

andi*pandi
Sep 2, 2014, 04:11 PM

sounds good to me. Underground biomes could also be fun! <mine mine mine> Hey, a jungle! It's the lost world!

Is there a dinosaur mod? JUST KIDDING.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2014, 04:20 PM

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 2, 2014, 08:40 PM

OK, natura is not fully fleshed out yet, so I'm going to hold off on it. Removing additional biome add ons. underground biomes just adds a ton of new rocks and such but no 'underground jungles' so it might be more lag than needed

tinkering around now to see if I can get something stable...

andi*pandi
Sep 2, 2014, 10:49 PM

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2014, 12:06 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2014, 11:08 AM

I guess this means the sequel won't be on PS4.

andi*pandi
Sep 11, 2014, 10:13 AM

argh.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Sep 16, 2014, 01:38 PM

well, as a distraction to the news of Micro$oft buying Minecraft...

so far the new server is being a giant pain for me. The issue seems to be the particular mix of mods... when something works on the server, it crashes the client. tweak here, mod there and it works on the client and crashes the server. it's definitely becoming a 'two steps forward, one step back' scenario, which is annoying...

So I've decided to pose a question: is there a stock Technic pack folks would want to play around in while I continue to fight my way though this 'two steps forward, one step back' madness?

cycl0pse

Forum Links
Forum Rules