Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > PPPoE Recalled?

PPPoE Recalled?
mjuarez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2000, 12:23 PM

I was just at NTS' site, the makers of the #1 PPPoE software, and apparently they have recalled an OS X compatible version of EnterNet 300. Any suggestions for people who use PPPoE and OS X? Is it possible to use some sort of UNIX client for it?

lightmotive
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2000, 02:00 PM

Where did you read this? I didn't even know there WAS an OSX version.

mjuarez  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2000, 02:42 PM

I emailed NTS support about it, and they told me that it was out for awhile, but then recalled.

pip11
Sep 16, 2000, 03:39 PM

if i could get a copy of an OS X beta(DP4 or the PB, whichever had dev. tools), i would try to hack a copy of Roaring Penguin PPPoE(http://www.roaringpenguin.com) to work on OS X. OS X is supposedly based on FreeBSD 3.2, which RP claims compatibility on. I should be getting the PB soon, i'll keep you updated

Marko4
Sep 16, 2000, 05:07 PM

Would OS X be able to run a DSL setup if the dsl modem was connected to a DSL router and then into a hub? Would NTS still be needed and would the mac just run DHCP?

pip11
Sep 16, 2000, 05:24 PM

depending on what kind of dsl router it is, the router should route the PPPoE into standard TCP/IP and use DHCP too.As far as I know, OS X PB supports DHCP

HotDog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2000, 06:07 PM

Check out http://www.xdslresource.com/MacOS-X/ where it has been discussed.

Alex

MrKaiC
Sep 16, 2000, 08:13 PM

Hi.

Real simple...

I compiled this to assist anyone that could use it.

Get it from http://media.helioshealth.net/rp-PPPoEv22.tar.gz

It is *not* tested; I have a cable modem.

All of the sources, etc, are here...take a look at 'em. I didn't have to change anything.

To install, get yerself to a terminal, cd to the directory this all untarred to and typ ./pppoeinst.sh...it should be chmod'd +x already and just run.

This script copies everything where it should be, since you can't type 'make install' on the Public Beta...no make :/

To get it up and running, refer to the docs included and at http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/

mail me at [email protected]'ll help if I can (with it not compiling right)...you're on yer own for setup

One tip though. On our macs, the ethernet is at en0, not eth0...rember this when ou run adsl-setup.

OH YEAH...

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE IF THIS HOSES YOUR MAC. If it breaks, you keep both pieces I'm trying to help y'all out,
but by using this YOU ABSOLVE ME OF ALL DAMAGES.

If you aren't comfortabe with this, I suggest you get the gnu toolchain, and the needed headers and such from Apple, and compile it for yourself.

-K

MrKaiC
Sep 16, 2000, 09:29 PM

Arrrgh...no preview on the board..

One More time:
http://media.helioshealth.net:8080/rp-PPPoEv22.tar.gz

-K

CvW
Sep 17, 2000, 09:57 AM

I guess the real question is why one would have PPPoE running on any machine in the first place. I much rather shell out the $150 for a MacSense Router that supports PPPoE dial-in automatically. It works great at my in-laws-in-training and offers 4 hub ports to boot.

Other routers are even cheaper but I don't recall PPPoE compatibility.

Constantin

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2000, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by CvW:
I guess the real question is why one would have PPPoE running on any machine in the first place.
Because I only have two hands, one pair of eyes, and one Mac, and don't see why I should pay $150 for even more boxes and cables if there could be a simple software solution.

schwei
Sep 17, 2000, 11:24 AM

http://www.nts.com/products/enternet_model_features.pdf

has listed EnterNet 300 v1.4 as being compatible with OS X, and I've downloaded a eval (30 day) version of v1.11.

I suspect we'll have to wait for EnterNet 2.0 to "ship", and it'll have to be OS9/X savvy.

Since Apple and Earthlink want to stay ahead, you can expect PPPoE to get support, since Earthlink's "MindSpring Max" DSL service uses EnterNet for PPPoE. A lot of users will be clamoring for this, so stay tuned.
Mac evangelist since 1986

mjuarez  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2000, 01:44 PM

Interesting thing I just thought of...

How am I suppose to get the Roaring Penguin client downloaded onto OS X if there is no PPPoE support originally for me to download it with... Hmmm...

I guess I could try patching through using Classic...

pip11
Sep 17, 2000, 02:10 PM

mjuarez-os x supports HFS+, so you should be able to mount your classic drive and then move the file over.(I know more than I probably should on this subject-LinuxPPC still doesn't have HFS+ support)
also-Enternet directly modifies the System files when it is installed, so I seriously doubt it will run under classic.

MrKaiC
Sep 17, 2000, 03:03 PM

Once you get MacOS X Beta, you'll see that your "classic" drive is viewable in the finder, so downloading what you need on OS9 then booting into OS X is a simple thing.

Actually, if you are brave, the best thing to to is to install X on the same drive/volume 9 is on if you have the space.

The two systems are installed, for want of a better word, in parallel. The OS X installer won't erase your drive; it installs 'around' OS 9.

BTW, since the harware is "virtualized' under/in classic, once you have your link up via PPoE (or whatever) on the OS X side it "just works" on the classic side...you won't need your again, download the client from the (correct) link above and let me know if it helps.

-K

Fink Nottle
Sep 17, 2000, 10:17 PM

Mr KaiC,

First of all, thanks for the help with the issue. I am a subscriber to Bell Sympatico in Canada, which uses PPPoE. Anyway, I was able to download the app as described and then install it while logged in as Root. It created several files and seems to have been successful. When I try to run the ADSL-Connect it tells me I need to reinstall as it can't find etc/sbin/ppp.conf. (As I had to reboot into OS 9 I writing this from memory but I'm pretty sure that was the message.) I couldn't find an 'etc' directory at the root level... it was actually inside an invisible folder called 'private' which was at the root level. I could find no mention of this folder in the documentation so I suspect this may be something extra that MacOS X throws in for security etc. In any case, I was unable to get around this problem.
If you have any suggestions they'd be much appreciated. In case you can't tell, this is my first foray into Unix type apps... but I'm pretty sure I followed the directions properly.

Thanks again!

MrKaiC
Sep 17, 2000, 10:54 PM

> Mr KaiC,
>
> First of all, thanks for the help with the issue. I am a subscriber to Bell
> Sympatico in Canada, which uses PPPoE. Anyway, I was able to download the app
> as described and then install it while logged in as Root. It created several
> files and seems to have been successful. When I try to run the ADSL-Connect it

Ok. First problem

After you download the package, do NOT let Stuffit uncompress. it. If it does, don't worry. just don't use any of the crap it unstuffed.

Copy the .tar.gz file to /Users/yourhomedir/ppoe on your Mac OS X drive/volume. use *Your * Home folder

Now, boot back into OS X.

Open a terminal, and type su

The system will ask for a password; type the admin/root password.

Now, type cd /User/yourhomedir/ppoe

good.

now type tar xvfz rp-PPPoEv22.tar.gz
this will uncompress everything *properly*

now, type ./pppoeinst.sh

this should copy everything to where it needs to be.

now, type /usr/sbin/adsl-setup and follow the instructions. Rmember, on macs ethernet is en0, not eth0

After you get everything in , type /usr/sbin/adsl-start

You should be connecting at this point

let me know how far you get following these steps. PLEASE email me back and let me know...we'll get it up and running

I will try and see if i can make a proper MacOS X installer to take care of (some) of this. Also, I have someone looking into make a full GUI for this similar to Apple's PPPConnect deal.

Once we get you up and running, i'll tell you what you need to do to have the system do this *automatically* when you boot up.

-K

MrKaiC
Sep 17, 2000, 11:23 PM

My Bad folks....

The shell environment in Beta is *really*crippled and Sanitized for Your Protection.

You won't be able to run my installer script as is. I'm helping this guy get it all up and running and will post a patched version at the above url when we figure out just *how* crippled the whole thing is.

Stay tuned...

-K

KillerDeMouches
Sep 18, 2000, 07:42 PM

I succefully install the script with 2 or 3 malual comands line... But it does not work. It seems that PPP implantation of MacOS X does not work in Kernel, according to the error message i recive when i do 'adsl-connect".

Grrr...

Also, after i do a "adsl-start", system seems to be more and more slow...

I wait for another Client...

Fink Nottle
Sep 18, 2000, 09:29 PM

MrKaiC has been walking me through getting this working. I think we're pretty close but not quite there. The script installed successfully and I was able to configure it. However, when I run it I don't get a TCP connection and when I check on the status I get the following message:

adsl-status: Link is down (can't read pppoe PID file /var/run/adsl.pid.pppoe)

Any Unix people care to take a stab at it... I'm all ears!

Thanks to MrKaiC for the help so far!

Fink

MrKaiC
Sep 19, 2000, 09:52 AM

Hi all.

I've tweeked my script a bit and got it to install everything.

Now, about that "no ppp support in kernel" messaage.

That error message is misleading.

Here is what you need to do:

Run Apple's PPP Connect application. Put in some bogus values, hit connect, then cancel.

The ppp daemon should work again.

If you open the terminal and type /usr/sbin/pppd, you should see it sending frames instead of giving you the error message about no kernel support. After it times out, run /usr/sbin/adsl-start as normal now.

Please post your results here. It's the best way for me to get feedback into what needs to be tweeked.

-K

MrKaiC
Sep 19, 2000, 12:11 PM

Hi all.

I've tweeked my script a bit and got it to install everything.

Now, about that "no ppp support in kernel" messaage.

That error message is misleading.

Here is what you need to do:

Run Apple's PPP Connect application. Put in some bogus values, hit connect, then cancel.

The ppp daemon should work again.

If you open the terminal and type /usr/sbin/pppd, you should see it sending frames instead of giving you the error message about no kernel support. After it times out, run /usr/sbin/adsl-start as normal now.

Please post your results here. It's the best way for me to get feedback into what needs to be tweeked.

-K

artix
Sep 19, 2000, 01:28 PM

here's how things work for me.

install PB fresh.

install developer pak from DP4.

run the pppoe installer > everyhting install correctly.

run the adsl-setup.

start the ppp.app and then adsl-start.

it will connect correctly.

my only problem is the dns resolving.

i get "no route to host" using pings.

network-setting and adsl-setup have correct entries of the ISP-DNS.

what am i doing wrong? Help

MrKaiC
Sep 19, 2000, 01:42 PM

Alright!!

I'm glad to see confirmation from someone that they got a connection

Now, from what I gather from Roaring P's site, and a couple of the other Linux guys here, you need to make sure that the ethernet interface is *not* being configured by MacOS X at boot time.

The easy way to do this would be to go into the Network settings under System Prefs and select "No Connection".

After this, reboot, run adsl-setup again for good measure, then run adsl-start again.

Let everyone know what your results are.

BTW, you do NOT need to d/l the darwin dev kit. In fact, this is NOT ADVISED, as things will be changing "real soon".

After I/we get someone up and running, I will put my final revisions to the installer script up for everyone to download and use.

-K

KillerDeMouches
Sep 19, 2000, 05:47 PM

Thanks for your help.. but i've another problem..

I lanch PPP and all PPP kernel problems are revolved.. But..i've another error:

ioctl (TIOCSETD): device not configured..

I'll try 2 or 3 things this night but thanks for a reponse :-)

Artix
Sep 19, 2000, 06:01 PM

ok.

here's my problem. i only get a connection if the en0 ist configured by the network control panel of set to no connection i get an error from adsl-connect stating that the interface is not configured.

one advice. DO NOT set the local IP in the network CP to 0.0.0.0 as a buffer. OS X will not come back up.

still trying. my main problem is the right routing of my connection. the connection itself works beautyful.

any thoughts?

btw. i used the dev tools from dp4, are those the darwins?

Artix
Sep 19, 2000, 07:05 PM

ok, guess what. I am running the T-DSL on my OS X with the help from MrKaiC.

read above for what i did!

after having the routing problem i disabled the networking from OS X in the control panel (CP).

after boot execute a "ifconfig en0 up mtu 1500" in the shell for the ethernet card to become active. or add it to the adsl-connect-script, which only does this on linux.

then i use adsl-connect which promts me with:

/usr/sbin/pppd: Couldn't set device to non-blocking mode: m: Invalid argument
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyp5
/usr/sbin/pppd: Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has world and/or group access: Invalid argument
/usr/sbin/pppd: Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has world and/or group access: Invalid argument
local IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
remote IP address yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

now the routing problem was solved by adding a "route add default yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy"
in the shell.

i am online! GREAT! thans again for the compiled pppoe.

MrKaiC
Sep 19, 2000, 07:21 PM

*Excellent*

So, I was correct: you must set the system to "No Connection"

I will look at the scripts that handle connections, etc to make them add the route automatically.

What i need to have happen now is for someone (Arctic? up for this?) that got a connection up to email me so i can chat online w/ them to help me test and clean up the scripts for final distribution.

-K

Artix
Sep 19, 2000, 07:47 PM

Aaaalllllllright.

always glad to help. was kinda tough for me to since i am not into unix, well that much.

whenever you get your installation finalized could also mail the link to versiontracker.com? Plus how about a list of working ISPs with the distribution? allthough all should work, but some just don't. Just a thought for starters. shout: who is going to do the gui? :-)

let's rock!

MrKaiC
Sep 19, 2000, 07:49 PM

*Almost* there...

I have fixed the scripts to solve this problem:

after boot execute a "ifconfig en0 up mtu 1500" in the shell for the ethernet card to become active. or add it to the adsl-connect-script, which only does this on linux.

However, since, like i said, i do't have adsl, I need someone to et their link up and running and email me while they are online so I can finish it.

The remaining problem is in the routing;
the script *is* setting this; we need to find out why it doesn't stick.

I need to see if there is a programatic way to determing the IP address of the other end of the link; when that is done, we are in good shape.

-K

MrKaiC
Sep 19, 2000, 07:53 PM

Join #macosxppoe on #EFnet so we can get this puppy cleaned up and ready for (ome) of the world...

-K

Artix
Sep 19, 2000, 07:54 PM

ok. i'd be ready to do the testing with you. but remeber i had to install the dp4 dev tools to install you're distribution in the first place. maybe it's my fault because it was a previous version from you. but i still have them installed. other than that count me in. mail me at [email protected] :-)

But i have to get some sleep now!

Artix
Sep 19, 2000, 07:58 PM

allright i'll stay up. but i have to get an irc client first. since i can't reallt check my mail without going back to os 8.6. so wait up!

MrKaiC
Sep 19, 2000, 09:21 PM

I guess...

He went to bed

Fink Nottle
Sep 19, 2000, 09:24 PM

Waaah!!! Someone's got a connection and I'm still stuck with the same problem as before:

adsl-status: Link is down (can't read pppoe PID file /var/run/adsl.pid.pppoe)

Seriously though, I'm anxiously waiting for the final script and procedure to make this work.... maybe even tonight?

Good luck and Thanks MrKaiC and Artix!

MrKaiC
Sep 19, 2000, 10:01 PM

grab my new archive from http://media.helioshealth.net:8080/PPPoE-OSX.tgz and try the install again.

remember to follow all of the tips outlined above, namely:

1. uncompress from command line (for now)

2. remember that ethernet is en0 not eth0

3. Set Networking to No Connection

4. Run Apple PPP Connect once with bogus info

5. Add your route manually (for now) after the link is up.

And use adsl-start...not adsl-connect!!!

-K

MasonMcD
Sep 19, 2000, 10:14 PM

Would you be able to post explicit step-by-step instructions for the command line challenged (like me)? Like "Start a terminal session by..." and "Type this in exactly as shown in the quote marks..." Stuff like that. Or maybe just email me at [email protected]. Thanks.

MrKaiC
Sep 20, 2000, 12:22 AM

Explicit Step-By-Step Instructions Available

I've put up a page at http://media.helioshealth.net:8080 with step-by-step instructions.

All of the disclaimers here apply.

BTW, Im working on getting a GUI wrapped around this mess...but i can't promise when, or if, it will happen.

Good Luck,

-K

MrKaiC
Sep 20, 2000, 12:41 AM

Explicit Step-By-Step Instructions Available

I've put up a page at http://media.helioshealth.net:8080 with step-by-step instructions.

All of the disclaimers here apply.

BTW, Im working on getting a GUI wrapped around this mess...but i can't promise when, or if, it will happen.

Good Luck,

-K

davidaug
Sep 20, 2000, 12:53 AM

>http://media.helioshealth.net:8080 with step->by-step instructions.

It appears that currently the URL for the file PPPoE listed on the above Web page is slightly incorrect. (We're all excited here.)

I believe it needs to be changed to:

PPPoE-OSX.tgz

The "-" was missing.

I'm sure it will be corrected soon, I just didn't have a way of contacting the author, MrKaiC.

Many thanks to all those who have contributed to this effort; I'm off to try it now.

David

MrKaiC
Sep 20, 2000, 01:14 AM

The link has been corrected.

-K

mjuarez  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2000, 02:30 AM

Okay, I think I got everything installed, I'm stuck at one point.

On Getting Connected... I do the folllowing steps

[localhost:~] mjuarez% su
Password:
I enter the password and continue to the next step
[localhost:~] mjuarez% /usr/sbin/adsl-start
Then... I get
.............TIMED OUT

What's happening here?

Kuku
Sep 20, 2000, 02:48 AM

Same here, time out.

It appears it's not reading the ethernet port as the action lights on the DSL modem never blinked.

~Kuku

davidaug
Sep 20, 2000, 02:55 AM

I've given it a whirl. Although the installation went smoothly, ultimately,
"adsl-start" times out.

The console reports first that "this system lacks kernel support for ppp.."

If I open the PPP cp and use my bogus account to start pppd, I can pass the pppd working test.

When I try to run "adsl-start" again, console reports "Interface en0 is not up"

When I do "ifconfig en0" everything looks okay
ether: 00:05:02:2d:5d:57
etc...

Conclusions:

pppd needs to be started by opening the PPP cp after every boot.

not sure what's wrong with en0

I've tried resetting "no connections" in the TCP/IP panel several times.

Restarted once. Shutdown and restarted once.

--------------

Upon installation, actually untarring, I got this error:

tar: Access/modification time set failed on: .
<operations not permitted.

I went ahead anyway and everything seemed to go smoothly.

--------------

Again many thanks to MrKaic, Artix, and Roaring Penguin.

David

mjuarez  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2000, 03:03 AM

Mine times out, but my modem lights are blinking. Infact, I opened PPP Connect during the procedure, and you can actually see what's happening. Said Connecting to Server, then stopped at Authenticating...

Hope this tidbit helps.

Also, I wouldn't mind paying a small fee for a GUI version of this, as long as it's not a silly price like $29.95 or something.

davidaug
Sep 20, 2000, 04:06 AM

Another experience, although not entirely successful, I feel progress is being made.

The "adsl-start" runs fine (no console errors) and "connected!" appears.

However I'm not getting the output to manually configure the route and IE doesn't appear to work, nor terminal ftp nor ping to my ISP.

I can also run "adsl-stop" without errors.

-------------------------------

This is what I did different from instructions after boot:

Open PPP app to start (initialize) pppd

checked to see if it was working; it was

then: ifconfig en0 up mtu 1500

(I tried this because I was getting "Interface en0 is not up" errors.)

--------------------------

My ISP: Earthlink
Modem: Westell 516

Beige DT G3/300

--------------------------

David

lordshaq
Sep 20, 2000, 04:40 AM

Interesting, because im getting the same results as david -- I can run adsl-start, and it tells me i'm connected, but still IE does not work, even after setting the default route.Seems progress is being made however : )

Pacbell DSL btw.

-R

Artix
Sep 20, 2000, 05:06 AM

Well to solve the routing thing read my post above, or try this!

i use adsl-connect because it prints out the local an remote ip.

the in a shell just type "route add default {and the remote ip adsl-connect prints out}".

it works for me!

by the way. i awake now. good morning!

davidaug
Sep 20, 2000, 05:33 AM

Just back from another try; I can't let it rest. Again, I've already installed PPPoE and followed the directions specified...

Here's where I vary -- after fresh boot:

Open PPP app and hit connect, then cancel. This to start (initialize) pppd

then: ifconfig en0 up mtu 1500

then: ifconfig ppp0

ifconfig ppp0 lists the status of the ppp connection and I was hoping to get my ISPs IP number. The numbers appear like this:

inet 216.249.71.75 --> 216.249.64.6 netmask 0xffffff00

The number just to right of "inet" changes everytime I stop and restart "adsl-start"

I've tried to no avail to use this number as
"route add default," but I get an error message. When I try to ping the number I get the error "no route to host." I can ping the number on the far right and this number remains the same even after I reboot.

------------------------------

Next I will try "adsl-connect"

David

Artix
Sep 20, 2000, 06:00 AM

Usually the number that changes is the ip assigned to your host, which is dynamic. use the static one instead for routing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules