Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > beltway sniper is NO sniper

beltway sniper is NO sniper
jcadam
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2002, 02:44 PM

Good read:

Newsmax article
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Lerkfish
Oct 20, 2002, 03:00 PM

the initial information is interesting, but the anti-liberal hogwash, completely unnecessary at the end bungs it up.

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2002, 03:02 PM

It's all a matter of semantics. The word "sniper" is a good way for us ordinary people to identify him. Who gives a sh�t if he's not the perfect definition of a "sniper"? I really loved how that article defined him as a terrorist, OH!! but not the "Islamic variety" [sic] I guess now there are two or more types or terrorists.

Sniper, predator, murderer, terrorist, Jimbo Jones, or a Ninja Turtle... I don't give a fu�k. Catch him and let the others call him "fish".

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2002, 03:04 PM

Interesting article. He have a good point about deer hunt season start soon and it will be even more harder to find the murderers.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 20, 2002, 03:11 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if this was a anti-gun nut.

Lerkfish
Oct 20, 2002, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
suuuuure...that's logical

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 20, 2002, 03:40 PM

It is, I know if I was a anti-gun nut (not saying everyone that is anti-gun is a nut) I would be out shooting people with no reason to try to prove a "point"

Look at all the anti-gun points that are no being brought up again because of this guy. This isn't helping the pro-gun side at all, obviously this guy isn't for that cause.

It isn't logical in a normal person's view of things. Butnuts don't do logical things.

Like tree spiking, or the like.

What a better way to push the anti-gun laws than to do something like this?

I doubt that this person is doing it for this reason, I just said I wouldn't be surprised that some of the anti-gun zealots wouldn't go as far as doing something like this. That is all.

cheerios
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2002, 03:45 PM

very biased article, all on something that's kinda irrelevant. Who care's what we call this guy? Creepy thought on the trap bit, but all in all, not something that I'd site in a research paper.
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

pooka
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2002, 03:52 PM

I didn't see the word liberal anywhere in the article. Unless "anti-Second Amendment politicians" is synonymous with liberal these days. I'm really not into politics so I dunno.

The only problem I have with the article is the downplaying of the .223. It's a very common round used in hunting and military rifles. Someone could be using it for that very reason. I highly doubt it but I think it's a little silly to try and label it a rabbit rnd.

I also agree most of what is said about ballistic fingerprinting. Barrel, ejectors and firing mechs are some of the most common and easiest modifications made to firearms. It's often necessary.

I say it would be easier to track people. If we had little chips implanted in our hands that fed our locations into some state run database it would be much more effective than tracking barrel twist marks on a bullet.

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
the initial information is interesting, but the anti-liberal hogwash, completely unnecessary at the end bungs it up.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2002, 04:08 PM

Of course he's a sniper. He shoots at people from a concealed position. That's what a sniper is. He may not be a military-grade sniper, but he's still a sniper.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 20, 2002, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
Of course he's a sniper. He shoots at people from a concealed position. That's what a sniper is. He may not be a military-grade sniper, but he's still a sniper.
I guess it depends on what def you use. The 1st or 2nd.

snip�er Pronunciation Key (snpr)
n.

1. A skilled military shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place.
2. One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2002, 04:22 PM

I bet he's just pissed off because he wasn't good enough to be a military sniper.

crazycylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2002, 05:11 PM

Notice how no Arab American 's are victims of this so called sniper/shooter. Wouldn't surprise me if the shooter was a naturalized American from Saudi Arabia.
As a man comes, so he departs.

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2002, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by crazycylon:
Notice how no Arab American 's are victims of this so called sniper/shooter. Wouldn't surprise me if the shooter was a naturalized American from Saudi Arabia.
Was the cab driver, one of the earlier victims, a Muslim? Or was he Hindi? I'm sure he was brown. No matter what the nationality of the murderer, I don't think this is religiously/politically/racially motivated.

arrested502
Senior User
Oct 20, 2002, 05:44 PM

That site couldnt be more right-wing
"Devil ether, it makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel. Total loss of all basic motor skills. Blurred vision. No balance. Numb Tongue. The mind recoills in horror. Unable to communicate with the spinal column. Which is interresting, because you can watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it"

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 20, 2002, 05:47 PM

As many of the lib articles posted in this forum are off of left-wing propaganda sites.

I guess tit for tat I guess.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2002, 06:08 PM

It does bother me when I see him referred to as the sniper. We glamorize these people too much.

And it's the media's fault. Let's be honest, the media LOVE this. Their ratings are up, they have something to talk about, and adding mystery to this sick fuck helps them.
This is great. And Timothy McVeigh was a left-wing plant trying to make right-wingers look bad, and George Dubya is a Democratic mole trying to make Republicans look like buffoons.

Zimphire, I think you must be a liberal posing as a conservative.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 20, 2002, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by BRussell:

And it's the media's fault. Let's be honest, the media LOVE this. Their ratings are up, they have something to talk about, and adding mystery to this sick fuck helps them.This is great. And Timothy McVeigh was a left-wing plant trying to make right-wingers look bad, and George Dubya is a Democratic mole trying to make Republicans look like buffoons.

Read my post explaning it, makes perfect sense.

Zimphire, I think you must be a liberal posing as a conservative.
I am neither.

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2002, 06:18 PM

Read my post explaning it, makes perfect sense.

I am neither. [/B]
You're right, it makes sense. But that doesn't mean it's right. Occam's razor, you know?

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 20, 2002, 06:22 PM

Oh I agree this is probably not the case here. I just said it wouldn't surprise me.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2002, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:

yeah, god forbid you have to read THE TRUTH.

Nick
Oct 20, 2002, 11:36 PM

Uhm... I thought people who were against guns were left-wing hippies who hate guns because they're used to murder people.

I'm not sure what my position is on gun control, but there are clearly two views: the gun advocate thinks he has a right to own a gun responsibly; the gun-control advocate thinks that if guns were made harder to get, there'd be less murders.

Gun advocates obviously don't want guns for killing people. Likewise, gun-control advocates do not hate guns for the sake of hating them!

I agree with the first part of the NewsMax article -- this guy probably isn't a professional shooter. However, he is a sniper, by definition.

See here: http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=sniper

Military meaning aside, a sniper is who shoots at other people from a concealed place.

The rest of the article is junk. The hypothesizing about the "Dear Policeman" note is silly. The author most likely used "policeman" instead of "police" to sound mysterious, for a lack of better words.

I won't even touch the "hunting season for the suspect" thing -- it's the stupidest thing I've read all day.

I DON'T think a ballistic fingerprinting database would be worth implementing, simply because any gun sold on the black market would end up having the inside of the barrel scratched.

It's a decent idea, but was brought to the table without much thought. What I don't understand is the vehement opposition from gun advocates -- they never say why they don't want it. The only argument (albeit a good one) against a fingerprinting database is that it would be a waste of taxpayers' money.

"Of course when it comes to gun-grabbing anti-Second Amendment politicians, they could well be all three."

LOL! What hypocrisy. This Geoff Metcalf is probably among those who would support giving up the civil liberties of himself and others on a dime.

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2002, 11:57 PM

"It's a decent idea, but was brought to the table without much thought. What I don't understand is the vehement opposition from gun advocates -- they never say why they don't want it. The only argument (albeit a good one) against a fingerprinting database is that it would be a waste of taxpayers' money."

umm....ballistic fingerprint database=registration. registration=eventual confiscation. always has been that way, always will be.

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2002, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by nvaughan3:
"It's a decent idea, but was brought to the table without much thought. What I don't understand is the vehement opposition from gun advocates -- they never say why they don't want it. The only argument (albeit a good one) against a fingerprinting database is that it would be a waste of taxpayers' money."

umm....ballistic fingerprint database=registration. registration=eventual confiscation. always has been that way, always will be.
umm...when are they coming for your car?

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2002, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by 3gg3:

umm...when are they coming for your car?

i'd worry about that as soon as driving was made a constitutional right and not a priveledge. until then the situations can't be compared.

superlarry
Senior User
Oct 21, 2002, 05:51 PM

one doesn't criticize a madman for using a "varmint rifle".. in fact, it was probably a smart move - much harder to trace.

a sniper is a sniper, as all of you have been saying. according to this article, an american soldier in wartime could be considered a sniper, but an opposing soldier shooting americans could not. calling someone a "murderous bastard" sometimes depends on your point of view (though i do agree that this guy is a murderous bastard).

and what's this baloney about lacking the professionalism of a sniper? this guy's obviously crazy and has some purpose, logical or not. of course he's not doing it to NOT draw attention.

ugh.. i don't even wanna think about it anymore

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2002, 06:00 PM

Sigh, that article isn't even worth commenting about. It was written by some guy who simply doesnt know any of the facts. It's all speculation by a guy who thinks he is a genious, but knows nothing at all.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2002, 07:04 PM

I must agree. This seems 150% biased. May have a few facts, but a lot of opinion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules