Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > new i mac in colours?

new i mac in colours?
omac
Banned
Apr 15, 2002, 04:10 PM

when will the new imac be avianlable in colours - like the old one??

white's boring.

gimme blue , pink , green -gloss black... silver .. ohmigod...

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2002, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by omac:
<STRONG>when will the new imac be avianlable in colours - like the old one??

white's boring.

gimme blue , pink , green -gloss black... silver .. ohmigod... </STRONG>
I think Apple is planning to offer the iMac in whatever color you want, as long as it's white.

Apple led the design world with fun colors for computers, electronics, appliances, etc, but the common thread with the rest of the industry, almost without execption, was the the colors made the products look silly and cheap. Apple has moved on. Hopefully the rest of the world will as well. Soon.

Paco

Commodus
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2002, 05:10 PM

I think that colours for the new iMac would work, but it wouldn't be in the same way as it was back in 1998 or 1999. How about metallic colours? A black or silver would work, and you could even do colours such as red, blue or green that would still seem tasteful.

The only real barrier is cost; can Apple afford to have multiple colour schemes (including manufacturing them), or would we be better-off with price cuts and/or system upgrades?
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2002, 01:04 AM

I personally would rather have some level of transparency rather than colors. I think the new iMac would look relatively good with colors but I really want to see what's in that base.

But if they were to offer colors, I think they should only offer two choices: white and graphite/black (whichever of the two looks better). I still remember how stylish the original iMac Special Edition looked. I was even at friend's house recently who bought a Graphite iMac, and I was amazed at how cool it still looked, not like Strawberry or Blueberry; those fruity colors just did NOT last.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2002, 07:35 AM

Brushed aluminum is the look of today - white like the iMac to a lesser extent and given the shape of the iMac and the cost of producing a metal dome I believe that white will be the only colour available for a long long time
this sig intentionally left blank

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2002, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by JLFanboy:
<STRONG>I personally would rather have some level of transparency rather than colors. I think the new iMac would look relatively good with colors but I really want to see what's in that base.

But if they were to offer colors, I think they should only offer two choices: white and graphite/black (whichever of the two looks better). I still remember how stylish the original iMac Special Edition looked. I was even at friend's house recently who bought a Graphite iMac, and I was amazed at how cool it still looked, not like Strawberry or Blueberry; those fruity colors just did NOT last.</STRONG>
Heh heh ... then you had those other two short lived colors ...

FlowerPower
AND
Spotted Dog ...
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

omac  (op)
Banned
Apr 16, 2002, 08:56 AM

if they bring out the new imac in flower power.. thats it..

im getting a pc..

iamnid
Senior User
Apr 16, 2002, 11:46 PM

Honesty! What the hell was apple thinking with the blue dalmatian and flowerpower? I knew they wouldn't sell the minute I saw them! People kept saying, "they look so much better in person." NOT TRUE, they look terrible in pictures and in person.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2002, 01:14 AM

The new iMac would look dreadful in colors.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2002, 01:35 AM

I think a white and black offering would be nice. I saw a black one in pics from the Tokyo Macworld (someone must have spray-painted it or something) and it looked nice. Or maybe even a graphite one would look nice (a transparent graphite like the old iMac, though). Or even snow! But ... definitely not colors.

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Apr 17, 2002, 04:05 AM

The machine was designed in 2001 hence the 2001 : A Space Odsyssey look along with the iBook. It's not going to change unless a new design comes out. The consumer Apple computers are all adhering to the 2001 look.

Tigerabbit
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2002, 04:15 AM

Originally posted by KellyHogan:
<STRONG>The machine was designed in 2001 hence the 2001 : A Space Odsyssey look along with the iBook. It's not going to change unless a new design comes out. The consumer Apple computers are all adhering to the 2001 look.</STRONG>
I still want a Sage, although I'll settle for an iLamp.
If you put a bullseye on yourself, don't be surprised when someone takes a shot at you.

omac  (op)
Banned
Apr 17, 2002, 04:20 AM

what WAS the best old imac colour - graphite ?

i like the classic 'bondi' look..

slider
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2002, 04:30 AM

I really like sage too, ruby would look good as would indigo. I don't think the fruit colors would make it. In a similar thread, someone mentioned that colors were out and textures were in, they pointed out some interesting points about the new iMac and I appreciated it from a texture point of view. Use "color" to search for the thread. Crystal, there's a thought.

omac  (op)
Banned
Apr 17, 2002, 04:33 AM

mirror chrome?

then you could see reflections of all the pi$$ed off pc users around you !

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2002, 02:13 PM

what WAS the best old imac colour - graphite ?

i like the classic 'bondi' look..
I also think bondi was the best COLOR, but for overall look, I think my favorite would be graphite. That iMac Special Edition is my favorite computer of all time. Gorgeous machine, great design.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2002, 02:14 PM

Graphites are ugly.

I used to think the imacs were matte finished/frosted, but now I know they're shiny.

(graphite's just ugly!)
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Sosa
Senior User
Apr 17, 2002, 02:37 PM

The colorful original iMacs were hit partly because of the fruity colors. Perhaps they may be passe for some, but certanly not for others. I for one find metallic colors dull, just like 99% of car paint jobs. I do not like graphite or snow as much as sage or lime, for example. This is just personal taste. I don't think anyone can venture to say what color is "best" unless they qualify that into "what color is best for sales." It would be difficult to conduct such a study because colors were not available on all configurations, meaning that other considerations are taken during a purchase. So it would seem that to say some color is better for sales than another is purely opinion.

The other consideration,as someone else noted, is that more varieties of color add to the expense of manufacturing machines. It is perhaps for this reason the Apple has chosen to stick with snow and graphite. From a consumer perspective however, the more choices available the better. As consumers then I don't see why anyone here can criticize the option of having more colors to choose from. Colorful iMacs would be fun and would sell just as much as snow and graphite iMacs.

[ 04-17-2002: Message edited by: Sosa ]
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

MikeMarco14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2002, 02:37 PM

Personally, I miss the Sage iMacs. That was perhaps the best iMac color ever, IMHO.

My iMac was graphite. Personally, I think it's classy. Then again, I'm not one for very bright colors; I tend to dress in neutrals. I think it's just a personality thing (which is the whole reason why there were colors in the first place). Might be nice to get iMac colors back, but nothing too outlandish. An iMac with the same finish as a TiBook would probably look pretty cool, but then I guess the manufacturing process for that might be too expensive...

fletch521
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2002, 11:12 PM

How about something that looks like granite of marble?

Fletch
MacBook Air, 2.13GHz, 128GB solid-state drive
24-inch Apple LED Cinema Display
iPhone 4

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2002, 11:31 PM

Snow was nice from what I've seen.

Graphite is absolutely UGLY!

We have two Graphites at school and I won't go near them with a twelve foot pool... good thing I never have to fix em

It might be because of the guys working on them though

Anyway, Graphite I would say was the WORST iMac.
If you want Graphite, or Grey, go pro and leave the CONSUMER product alone.

Acctually my opinion would be to make kidna like a semi pro coloured machine.
For the more creative user, and the guy who wants to fork out a ton of cash.

Like in the next wave, put one low end iMac at 800, another at 900, and put a 1Ghz moddel with a Blue and indigo case.

The thing that Apple's never done is make a DUAL tone comp.

They've always been semi white and something.
DO Blue and blu eand white!

Bluberry was by far the BEST iMac colour ever, even my mom loves it, Strawberry wes pretty nice, but my masculine side says no
The fruity ones after Rev D were kinda ugly cause of the slot loading bay.
But the orignals MOI!
Beautiful comps, I'm gona upgrade mine to a 600Mhz pretty soon hopefully

But do something where you give the person a bit more than a faster proccessor, put in like a swoosh of blue, give it a real video out, MAYBE even a PCI slot but not REQUIRED...
Give a better system bus, and some included apps, maybe an entry level of Peak or some audio software, and a carbonized Photoshop Elements.
Or better yet make some sorta "Blue App" kinda market it as soem sorta Creative Hub or something.
Let the blue audio app edit your itunes files, let the people try frame by frame editing of their iMovies maybe, or at least edit their iPhoto pictures.

Kinda bridge a bit of that huge gap between the iMac and Power Mac.
THE BLUE MAC!
haha

But serious, I would like to see the new iMac in something more than white. But it may not be to cost effective.
I think Apple's still having trouble making sure they're making enough cash AND providing the computers well.

Oh and something else for the blue edition, a built in low end web cam of some sort in the monitor... maybe even mount the speakers back into the design.

Hopefully apple will go back to coloured Comps soon, granted it takes some of the heart break out of choosing between 5 differnt colours.
And stupid companies like Compaq and E machines ruined the uniqueness of some of those colours, but you can still do it you just gota think differnt

Forum Links
Forum Rules