Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > DVD-Writer for Quick Silver?

DVD-Writer for Quick Silver?
pmg4lktan
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2006, 07:04 AM

hi guys ...

been trying to get an internal DVD-Writer for my Quick Silver as Tiger would require DVD (unless i acquire the CD version from Apple) ... but anyway ... i have a lot of stuff in my Quick Silver to back up to DVDs as well ...

may i know where can i find a list of compatible DVD-Writers for my Quick Silver? FYI ... brands like Lacie, Pioneer are extremely rare in my country ... preferably brands like LiteOn, LG, Sony etc ...

thanks in advance!
( Last edited by pmg4lktan; Apr 7, 2006 at 07:53 AM. Reason: not enough detail ...)
Best regards from,
pmg4lktan

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 07:15 AM

If are aware of drives from manufaturers that you can't get locally, I would try eBay.com and try to find someone that ships internationally.

pmg4lktan  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2006, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tuoder
If are aware of drives from manufaturers that you can't get locally, I would try eBay.com and try to find someone that ships internationally.
thanks for your idea ... well, although the transaction might be complicated for me ... but worth a shot though ...

to start with ... i still need the list of drives which will work with my Quick Silver ... do you have it? thanks ...
Best regards from,
pmg4lktan

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2006, 07:31 AM

Worth a look at xlr8yourmac database, do a search for your model, you'll find reports of people about working drivers both internal & external ones…

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2006, 07:44 AM

http://www.welovemacs.com/app5826.html

They ship internationally, it appears that they ship to Malaysia. They don't give any specific model of drive, unfortunately.

PatchBurn may also make drives work that wouldn't under normal conditions, but I am inclined to think that they wouldn't be bootable.

pmg4lktan  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2006, 07:52 AM

thanks for the feedbacks guys ...

forgot to mention ... i'm looking for internal ones ... thanks!
Best regards from,
pmg4lktan

spork
Apr 7, 2006, 08:05 AM

brands like Lacie, Pioneer are extremely rare in my country ... preferably brands like LiteOn, LG, Sony etc
I live in Brasil and have the same problem finding drives. Installed an LG 4160, see sig, and it's great. It even reads DVD-RAM and the physical install was a snap. Patchburn allows it to work with native programs, while toast recognizes it no matter what. Pretty cheap also, considering.
www.xlr8yourmac.com is the bomb. so much great info. use it.
good luck
Mini Intel Core Duo 1.66, 1.5ram, super, 17" CRT Cinema Display, Intuos 3 tablet
G4 PB 1ghz 15", 60gb, 256ram, super, Wifi

Stephen Hanasew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2006, 11:41 AM

Try OWC, they ship internationally and the price is right!!

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optic...ives/powermac/
17" iMac G4 "Superdrive" 1.25 GHz w/2GB Ram running OS X.4.5
PowerMac G4-Dual 450MHz- w/ 1GB Ram running OS 9.2.2 & 10.4.5

pmg4lktan  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2006, 03:22 AM

i tried out OWC's shipping calculator ...

and heck ... these are the shipping quotes i got ...

UPS Worldwide Express: $42.82
FedEx International Priority: $31.91
US Postal Service: Global Express: $35.44

well, i'll have to do some "homework" ... and read through the reports in xlr8your mac.com then ... it will be definitely much much more cheaper to look for the same model locally ...
Best regards from,
pmg4lktan

Stephen Hanasew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2006, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by pmg4lktan
i tried out OWC's shipping calculator ...

and heck ... these are the shipping quotes i got ...

UPS Worldwide Express: $42.82
FedEx International Priority: $31.91
US Postal Service: Global Express: $35.44

well, i'll have to do some "homework" ... and read through the reports in xlr8your mac.com then ... it will be definitely much much more cheaper to look for the same model locally ...
That sucks! The drive price was pretty good too!
17" iMac G4 "Superdrive" 1.25 GHz w/2GB Ram running OS X.4.5
PowerMac G4-Dual 450MHz- w/ 1GB Ram running OS 9.2.2 & 10.4.5

pmg4lktan  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2006, 05:56 AM

thanks for all the replies guys ... well ... i decided to get a cheap drive and see if it will work with my Quick Silver ...

by the way ... anyone know where i can get a drive installation guide for my Quick Silver? the one at xlr8yourmac.com doesn't cover mine ... thanks in advance!
Best regards from,
pmg4lktan

kavka99
Apr 8, 2006, 07:39 AM

If I were you I'd search through the www.xlr8yourmac.com drive database first with the exact
model and model numbers before you make a purchase of the limited drives that are available to you.
Nothing worse than buying a drive that can't be firmware updated on a Mac.

D

mountainash
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2006, 11:20 PM

Maybe you have the drive already, but I could suggest mail order from Honk Kong, Taiwan, Singapore or Australia. There are also eBay sellers with Pioneer drives, that will send to Malaysia.

The install guide (video) you seek is at: http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_cente...directory.html

also check patchburn support at: http://www.patchburn.de/
( Last edited by ShazamItsDavish2; Apr 16, 2006 at 11:40 PM. )
Power Mac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz 1.5GiB RAM, 2x 80Gb ATA HDDs, 320Gb SATA HDD, Radeon 9650 256MiB, Airport Extreme compatible PCI card, Zip 250, Pioneer 110, Firewire DVD burner, 21" CRT, Harmon Kardon Apple Pro Speakers, OS X 10.4.6
Powerbook Pismo G3 400MHz, 768MiB RAM, 80Gb HDD, AirPort Extreme PC Card, Bluetooth 1.1, DVD-ROM, OS X 10.4.6, Ubuntu 5.10, MacOS 9.2.2
To buy: RAM for Pismo, CPU upgrades

pls7868
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2006, 09:48 PM

hi guys ...

been trying to get an internal DVD-Writer for my Quick Silver as Tiger would require DVD (unless i acquire the CD version from Apple) ... but anyway ... i have a lot of stuff in my Quick Silver to back up to DVDs as well ...

may i know where can i find a list of compatible DVD-Writers for my Quick Silver? FYI ... brands like Lacie, Pioneer are extremely rare in my country ... preferably brands like LiteOn, LG, Sony etc ...

thanks in advance!
the sony DRU 820A or the 800A work well
you will have to download a program call patch burn to make it burn you can also boot with drive
you can use the LG GSA 4166B or LG GSA 4163B I Know for a fact that they will work
I use both the sony and the LG drive in my G4 400 AGP Sawtooth

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2006, 11:17 PM

….....................
Originally Posted by pls7868
the sony DRU 820A or the 800A work well.
I have a Sony DRU 710A in my Quicksilver 867 (single processor). It works perfectly with Tiger, no additional software needed. I'm sure the 820A would work just as well. They have been on sale here over the last few weeks in places like BestBuy for about $60.

pmg4lktan  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2006, 10:31 AM

well, my sis bought a Lite-On SOHW-1673 already ...

just the matter of time before i get home and try if it'll work ... i saw some reports on xlr8yourmac.com that it'll work ... thanks for the help guys!
Best regards from,
pmg4lktan

CaptainUnbannable
Baninated
Apr 20, 2006, 04:13 PM

hi guys ...

thanks in advance!
My suggestion, if could throw in my own "2 cents"; I recently purchased a DVD-/+ RW drive for a Mac quicksilver that came with software that lets you burn a label right onto the disc called Lightscribe. It's made by LaCie and sells for about $75.00 US. I highly recommend this manufacturer as all their products are Mac compatible and they are one of the oldest and best suppliers of Mac peripherals. No need to worry about downloading extra patches or wonder if their software will mess up your machine . It just works .

Here's the URL if it helps: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827187041

Dan

Forum Links
Forum Rules