Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > GMail and The iPhone. . . . .

GMail and The iPhone. . . . .
cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2007, 02:13 PM

Ok, so I've done a search, and didn't find what I'm really looking for. . . .

When i sync'd my iphone with my macbook, all of the mail setting and such went over just fine, however there is one issue I'm having, and I'm not sure if I can write a rule on the GMail site to prevent this or what.

When I send an email, wether it's from my MacBook, or my iPhone. . . it is ALWAYS showing up on my iphone as a new message. . . .like I have CC'd myself. I looked in the settings on the iPhone, and the auto cc is off. . . .

Is there anything I can do to prevent my sent messages from becoming new messages on my iPhone?

Thanks for the help!
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2007, 02:47 PM

It's a gmail thing, I've seen it do this when using POP access thru Mail.app as well. No clue how to turn it off, I'd like to know as well.

cSurfr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2007, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by itai195 View Post
It's a gmail thing, I've seen it do this when using POP access thru Mail.app as well. No clue how to turn it off, I'd like to know as well.

My mail.app doesn't do this. . . just the iphone. Strange eh?
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 04:22 AM

Mail.app does that for me on Gmail.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

tigas
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2007, 05:01 AM

In Mail.app and other clients, I configure a filter for all messages that come from my email address and call that folder "Sent". Easy, if you have filters...

Also, don't forget to use recent:[email protected] as your POP username to get only messages from the last 30 days
My Mac is a Pismo G4/550: 1GB RAM, 40GB 5.4k, Airport, DVD-R, and still black, silent and curvaceous!

mr breaker
Jul 2, 2007, 10:32 AM

1. You are seeing the messages sent to yourself because Gmail CC's yourself whenever you send an email. They do this so you can see your email conversation "threads" in your Gmail inbox. It would be nice if we could add filters in the iPhone's Mail app.

2. My question: Has anyone found a way to only have unread Gmail messages downloaded to the iPhone (or have the messages downloaded already marked as read)? If I have already read my email elsewhere, I don't need to be notified by the iPhone about it.

heatfan03
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2007, 12:03 PM

yea i have the same problem as the above poster .

kman42
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2007, 12:31 PM

Gmail needs to get it in gear and offer IMAP. POP is annoying and the primary reason I never use my gmail account.

Forum Links
Forum Rules