Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Magic Mouse: The truth about its battery life?

Magic Mouse: The truth about its battery life?
HamSandwich
Jun 24, 2012, 02:13 PM

Hello,

my dad and I gave my mum a Magic Mouse for christmas, which she adores very much ever since (I adore it as well, obviously). However, the one thing I was somehow suprised by appears to be its battery life. I used a Magic Mouse for over two years on my laptop and battery life seemed to be between four and six months to me, but I don't use the computer / mouse extremely much; if I use it, I write a lot, and I work through most of my paper with pen and paper still. So her situation is very different, as she uses it pretty much, works somewhat, edits photos etc.

So what is the truth here? To me, battery life with her seemed to be between four and six weeks; is that right? I googled awhile, and apparently Apple originally advertised the Magic Mouse as 'extremely energy efficient', 'about four months battery life', and later removed the latter. Any experiences? Any advice, too?
The mouse is lovely, so we'd rather go and buy the Apple recharger which appears to be cool, but I don't know yet.

Greetings!
Pete

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2012, 02:29 PM

When I had the cheap 12-pack batteries from IKEA, battery life was anything from three weeks to two months.

When I switched to the Apple rechargeables, it went to about three months.

Thorzdad
Jun 24, 2012, 04:55 PM

My Magic Mouse eats batteries like nothing, especially rechargeables. I might be able to get 3 weeks out of rechargeables. Sometimes four, if I'm not at the Mac all the time. Standard batteries fare far better. I can get a couple of months out of regular alkaline batteries, sometimes more.

I do a lot of graphics work...Illustrator and Photoshop, mainly...that's a ton of clicking and mousing all day.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2012, 06:37 PM

When I got my new iMac, I did RT tests on Magic Mouse batteries...

Here's what I found.

My iMac averages 10 hours per day usage.
S.M.A.R.T. reporting into my Excel SS.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

HamSandwich
Sep 22, 2012, 08:09 AM

Hey,

I have another question regarding this... I upgraded a 2007 iMac from 10.5 to 10.8 a few weeks ago, and so far, it seems battery life is better with the Magic Mouse than it was before. Is that possible at all possible? Maybe it's only a subjective difference...

Greetings,
PeteParker

Forum Links
Forum Rules