Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Applications folder issue

Applications folder issue
porrid
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2014, 03:54 AM

I asked the Apple Help menu:
how to get Applications folder into dock

no results even remotely applicable as an answer 

Earlier, foolishly perhaps I allowed a friend access to my computer while I had to go somewhere else for a while. On returning to my iMac (still running 10.6) I quickly noticed the Apps folder no longer appearing in the dock!

I then merely attempted to drag the Applications folder back to where it always belonged, but the dock disallowed me from doing so. 

Although it allows me to deposit any other folder, file or App, but the dock doesn't budge it goes completely numb and won't even squizzingly move as per usual.

I then logged out of my main account and logged into another and ran Disk Utility
logged back into my main one on noticing the apps folder hadn't returned, which I magically imagined, would have rectified the issue, alas no and then trying again simply to drag it into the dock - computer says no!

Any clues how I can get the Applications folder back into the dock would be mighty appreciated, thanks.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2014, 05:43 AM

Make sure you are dragging it to the RIGHT SIDE of the Dock divider (if the Dock is at the bottom), or the LOWER END of the Dock (if it's at the side).

P
Aug 30, 2014, 10:11 AM

Also make sure that the Dock is not locked (in the Dock Preferences).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

porrid  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2014, 02:48 AM

Aye, Spheric Harlot try as I might the dock becomes immobile or freezes when trying to do this. And P there is no facility in 10.6 to lock the dock.

A friend recently suggested that there is a glitch in the display of the dock (system thinks it is already there). So if possible how can overcome this ?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2014, 03:59 AM

You could try deletion the plist files for the dock in your user library. This will return the Dock to it's default state. This doesn't include the Applications folder by default but if there's a glitch it may iron it out.

edit: my bad the standard dock on 10.6 does include the applications folder.
( Last edited by Doc HM; Sep 1, 2014 at 04:00 AM. Reason: factual error)
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

P
Sep 1, 2014, 09:02 AM

I think you can lock the Dock in System Preferences, but in this case, it's probably time to trash the prefs as Doc HM suggests.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

akent35
Banned
Sep 1, 2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I think you can lock the Dock in System Preferences, but in this case, it's probably time to trash the prefs as Doc HM suggests.
One cannot lock the Dock in System Preferences, but one can do it via a Terminal Command:

defaults write com.apple.dock contents-immutable -bool true; killall Dock;

(This came from Quickly lock and unlock the icons in your Dock ~ Mac OS X ~ Junecloud)

That article also says one can download an Apple script to lock the Dock. I just tried it, and after launching the script, it asks whether you want to lock the Dock or not (said no, and moved the download to the Trash, and subsequently deleted it).

porrid  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2014, 09:20 PM

Yikes I think my system is really floored.

Having run the suggested script, the result was truly unexpected - it opened a folder in my Applications folder and highlighted a file I were recently reading "How To Use the Seatubes.inetloc File"

Any suggestions ?

akent35
Banned
Sep 1, 2014, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by porrid View Post
Yikes I think my system is really floored.

Having run the suggested script, the result was truly unexpected - it opened a folder in my Applications folder and highlighted a file I were recently reading "How To Use the Seatubes.inetloc File"

Any suggestions ?
Which script did you run? Hopefully, it was not the one I mentioned above, as that is for locking the Dock. Also, I tested it with Mavericks (OS 10.9.4). You are using Snow Leopard (OS 10.6).

porrid  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2014, 11:50 PM

Aye akent35 I ran the locking dock script. I'm guessing that was the wrong thing to do?

Perhaps I ought to have done what Doc HM suggested, only I wasn't quite sure where that file was!

akent35
Banned
Sep 2, 2014, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by porrid View Post
Aye akent35 I ran the locking dock script. I'm guessing that was the wrong thing to do?

Perhaps I ought to have done what Doc HM suggested, only I wasn't quite sure where that file was!
That's right! The question initially was whether your Dock was locked or not. The script I referenced is to be used for locking the Dock. I thought I made it clear that when I tried it, I did not select the Dock to be locked.

As for what Doc HM suggested, I just looked in my Users/myname/Library folder, and I did not see a folder entitled "Dock". But, I just did a search on this, and here is the answer:

"Your Dock preferences are in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist where ~/ is Unix shorthand for your home folder. Once you restarted and the Dock came up, a new .plist was created automatically. You simply have to drag the items you want and drop them on the Dock."

So, for you, the file should be in:

Users/yourname/Library/Preferences, and the file name is com.apple.dock.plist. Don't delete the one that says com.apple.dock.db. Make sure it's the one whose name ends in plist. The "yourname" designation is what you named it. For me, it is my first and last name together, in small letters. So, for example, if the name you designated is tomsmith, then the file will be in Users/tomsmith/Library/Preferences.

porrid  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2014, 07:42 AM

Thank you kindly
akent35

Although everything id set back to factory settings except, and I didn't mention this before, the folder icon for downloads folder is still missing, but really that's not too important, do you reckon?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2014, 07:50 AM

Is the Downloads folder itself missing, or is it just not showing the folder icon, but rather the contents within?

If the folder is missing, just drag it to the Dock. If the icon is the "wrong" one, hold the control key and click on the folder in the Dock for display options.

porrid  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2014, 08:37 PM

Yes Spheric Harlot, the Downloads folder itself missing in the dock, it simply shows icons the recent downloads kind of like one behind the other and thus is just not showing the folder icon in the dock

Holding the Control key down whilst attempting to drag the folder icon, computer says no can do. Simply dragging the folder immobilises the dock. Thing I've just noticed, the Icon in the sidebar of the finder window is a green circle with a downwards pointing arrow, but all the folder icons of the download folder in all other finder windows is a blue folder ?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2014, 06:23 AM

I wrote to hold the Control-key and CLICK, not drag.

porrid  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2014, 10:13 PM

Thank you kindly Spheric Harlot that did it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules