Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mann... The new $50 bill is ugly!

Mann... The new $50 bill is ugly!
spatterson
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 10:07 AM

I was watching the news this morning and saw a spot about the new $50 bill. It�s so damn ugly! It�s like there are a bunch of people designing these bills without any experience with art or graphic design.

Lets start with the back of the bill... You can see the US Capitol building with the background feathered into the bill. Yellow 50's surround the picture for reasons I don't know. In the corners there are currency numbers and are printed with 3 different fonts. WTF�

The front of the bill would look ok if the stars and stripes were removed. It really looks second-rate with the stars and flag. They don't fit in with the rest of the bill design.

I have to say that this is the worst looking bill I have ever seen out of any currency. I rather use monopoly money. Has anyone seen the EURO� they are beautiful. The US Treasury should take notes from those guys� When I lived in Germany I loved using the Euro�

http://www.moneyfactory.com/newmoney...currency/new50

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2004, 10:11 AM

It's not all about design. There are security features that need to be integrated into the banknote.

The Euro banknotes were designed by an Austrian.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 10:27 AM

If you can't stand it, I can help you. Send all your ugly $50 bill to me.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2004, 10:49 AM

I think it is cool that we are getting colored money and all...

-Owl

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2004, 10:53 AM

whatever money is money, im just wondering when the US will hop on the descending bill size bandwagon. THAT is a good idea.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2004, 10:55 AM

I think it is mega cool! Looks solid and nice you're finally getting color on your money

About time eh?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

spatterson  (op)
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
I think it is mega cool! Looks solid and nice you're finally getting color on your money

About time eh?
There are too many styles on this note. I like the portraits on the bill... They look good, but I would take 5 steps back and redesign the whole thing. Maybe some white paper, I like colored money... but it needs to be in good taste. The current design looks as if it was created with some MS Word clip art. When they introduced the new bills a few years back the looked awesome� Now they are adding elements that take away from the professional look of the bill. I would like to see some kind of hologram with our flag in that. I think that would look really cool. Our money is our pride.... so lets put some work into it. It represents our country, and I think this bill looks sub-standard.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2004, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by spatterson:
There are too many styles on this note. I like the portraits on the bill... They look good, but I would take 5 steps back and redesign the whole thing. Maybe some white paper, I like colored money... but it needs to be in good taste. The current design looks as if it was created with some MS Word clip art. When they introduced the new bills a few years back the looked awesome� Now they are adding elements that take away from the professional look of the bill. I would like to see some kind of hologram with our flag in that. I think that would look really cool. Our money is our pride.... so lets put some work into it. It represents our country, and I think this bill looks sub-standard.
Well, I've not seen the new $50 up close so I have to admit that it may look crowded 'in the flesh'. The thumbnails look good and Ulysses always looks good

ryju
Professional Poster
May 1, 2004, 11:43 AM

I like the recent Canadian bills out now, especially the $5 bill with the hockey players!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2004, 11:54 AM

I doubt that I will ever actually physically have the $50 bill.

I actually like the look of the new bill, a nice change from all green.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2004, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by wdlove:
I doubt that I will ever actually physically have the $50 bill.
Why? Isn't it in circulation yet?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 1, 2004, 12:04 PM

Anything is an improvement on the old US bills.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 1, 2004, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Anything is an improvement on the old US bills.
Well old US money is some of the ugliest in the world and the new one still seems to keep the crown.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 12:16 PM

I like it, grant looks like hes on acid.

djohnson
Professional Poster
May 1, 2004, 12:21 PM

Looks good to me! I will have to pick at least a few up just to keep.

spatterson  (op)
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Well old US money is some of the ugliest in the world and the new one still seems to keep the crown.
Here here!!!

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 12:37 PM

yeah, i never really liked the new bill designs. they reminded me too much of monopoly money. The color 20s look okay on the front, but pretty stupid on the back with all of the little yellow '20's... looks like some little kid with a rubber stamp went a little overboard.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by spatterson:
Holograms would be good, and will prolly be introduced before too long, as I think the treasury dept. has given all paper currency around a 10 year life span (maybe a bit less) before redesigning.

White paper, however, would only benefit counterfitters. The texture, weight, and color of the paper used in the currency is one of the more difficult things to duplicate. Unfortunately, we US citizens aren't that savy to this.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

fireside
Professional Poster
May 1, 2004, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Holograms would be good, and will prolly be introduced before too long, as I think the treasury dept. has given all paper currency around a 10 year life span (maybe a bit less) before redesigning.
not gonna happen on US money until the way to stick the holograms becomes better. US has very very strict standards on the literal strength of the money, i hear they do all sorts of tests to see what you can do to it before it falls apart. unfortunately, holograms on bills in other countries haven't really been sticking to well.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2004, 01:39 PM

There was red in some of our bank notes a long time ago... but it was only the lettering or something...

I like the notes, they keep the traditional while implementing the futuristic...

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
whatever money is money, im just wondering when the US will hop on the descending bill size bandwagon. THAT is a good idea.
You mean where the bill gets bigger as the value goes up? That is the worst idea, ever.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2004, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by dlefebvre:
If you can't stand it, I can help you. Send all your ugly $50 bill to me.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
You mean where the bill gets bigger as the value goes up? That is the worst idea, ever.
I strongly agree.

Krypton
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
I'm sure this has been debated before, but having all your paper money the same size makes it prone to fraud - i.e. just bleach low value notes and print high value on them.

Every country apart from the US does this. So why are you opposed? It's also a good idea for the blind too.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2004, 02:49 PM

this looks like Monopoly money that got wet and sat in the sun:

Personally, I have always loved Canadian Money. It is coloured well and easy to read.
http://members.rogers.com/dougyb/sample_bills.htm

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 1, 2004, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
yeah, i never really liked the new bill designs. they reminded me too much of monopoly money. The color 20s look okay on the front, but pretty stupid on the back with all of the little yellow '20's... looks like some little kid with a rubber stamp went a little overboard.
Heh, yeah.

But they're not random, and they're not there for aesthetic reasons: it's digital watermarking to prevent digital counterfeiting. It's actually the circles that form the watermark, and the same pattern can be found on all recent new currencies, such as the Euro (where the circles are hidden in a fake constellation), in the last Deutschmarks, and British pound notes (where the circles are hidden as musical notes).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EURion_constellation. It contains the link to a PDF with examples.

Adobe Photoshop CS will not open any file with this watermarking. PS CS contains a "little black box" from the Central Bank Counterfeit Deterrence Group. Adobe doesn't actually know how it works. Other programs contain the black box as well, but Photoshop is the only Mac program I am aware of that has it.

tooki

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2004, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
I'm sure this has been debated before, but having all your paper money the same size makes it prone to fraud - i.e. just bleach low value notes and print high value on them.

Every country apart from the US does this. So why are you opposed? It's also a good idea for the blind too.
exactly where i was going with what i said. i like being able to look quick and see what im grabbing. work well in the dark.

Link
Professional Poster
May 1, 2004, 04:08 PM

Let's all pretend we're a bunch of europeeings and make fun of the US right now.

Ha ha ha... wait it isn't so funny.
Aloha

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Let's all pretend we're a bunch of europeeings and make fun of the US right now.

"That's Yurp? Better fix my tie for them Yurpeans. They care about such things."

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2004, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:

"That's Yurp? Better fix my tie for them Yurpeans. They care about such things."

BWAHAHAHA! great pic.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 1, 2004, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by Link:

You don't have to be "europeeings" to know the US is not perfect. Nobody is.

The fact is the US money is some of the ugliest in the world.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 1, 2004, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
this looks like Monopoly money that got wet and sat in the sun:

Personally, I have always loved Canadian Money. It is coloured well and easy to read.
http://members.rogers.com/dougyb/sample_bills.htm
Ugh, looks like something from a bad sci fi movie

Zimphire
Baninated
May 1, 2004, 10:48 PM

I like the watermarks.

A bit of the old, mixed in with the new.

Classy.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
May 1, 2004, 10:54 PM

I just wish the paper money in the USA was color coded.

The designs are bland, but what really makes them just awful is the similarity and uniformity of design.

I was especially dissapointed to see the new 50's background paper color is similar to the new 20. The goal of the treasury is apparently just to thwart the counterfit community, and all we are getting is a new set of currancy designs that are very user-unfriendly.

I like the color and size coding of the Euro. The designs are bland, but at least you can easily tell them apart by glancing....without having to actually carefully look at each bill like you have to now with US currency.
( Last edited by NYCFarmboy; May 1, 2004 at 11:00 PM. )

im_noahselby
Senior User
May 2, 2004, 12:01 AM

Here is a video that shows some Canadian paper money and all the security features embedded into them. Notice how many security features are in our new $100 bill! Amazing...

http://qtp01sea.activate.net/actcana...rr-128k-en.mov

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/English/BoC/2004_100.htm (Front & back pic of our new $100 bill)

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 2, 2004, 12:05 AM

Set your faces to stunned.

Zimphire hates Canadian money and likes the American money.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 2, 2004, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
I just wish the paper money in the USA was color coded.

The designs are bland, but what really makes them just awful is the similarity and uniformity of design.

I was especially dissapointed to see the new 50's background paper color is similar to the new 20. The goal of the treasury is apparently just to thwart the counterfit community, and all we are getting is a new set of currancy designs that are very user-unfriendly.

I like the color and size coding of the Euro. The designs are bland, but at least you can easily tell them apart by glancing....without having to actually carefully look at each bill like you have to now with US currency.
Bingo. The same colour for everything is a ridiculous thing to do. It is also incredibly bland. It looks like it was designed by Microsoft.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2004, 12:23 AM

Bingo. The same colour for everything is a ridiculous thing to do. It is also incredibly bland. It looks like it was designed by Microsoft.
Ridiculous? Just because the US makes everything the same size and same color doesn't make it any better or worse then any other country. Perhaps the US likes to have consistency in their money.

Also, the new $20s and up use more security features then just about any country in the world. If you can't tell a fake, you aren't looking.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
May 2, 2004, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Ridiculous? Just because the US makes everything the same size and same color doesn't make it any better or worse then any other country. Perhaps the US likes to have consistency in their money.
Same size is a good thing, same colour is stupid as hell.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2004, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:

Also, the new $20s and up use more security features then just about any country in the world. If you can't tell a fake, you aren't looking.
Reminds me of the simpsons: "Our health-care system is the best in the world... after canada, australia, all of europe.."

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2004, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
Reminds me of the simpsons: "Our health-care system is the best in the world... after canada, australia, all of europe.."

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 01:27 AM

did any one notice the thread is spelled Mann?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2004, 01:33 AM

Zim, this is the one time I will allow you to post the stupid kettle picture. Please do.

Brien
Professional Poster
May 2, 2004, 03:52 AM

Who wants to bet Uncle Pennybags is on the $100?

Zimphire
Baninated
May 2, 2004, 10:11 AM

SWF hates American money and likes the Canada money.

I never said I HATED IT. I said I disliked that particular one.

The rest is ok.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 2, 2004, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Zim, this is the one time I will allow you to post the stupid kettle picture. Please do.
Heh, yes I noticed that as well.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 2, 2004, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Ugh, looks like something from a bad sci fi movie

It's not that dark of a red. It's a pinkish red in real life.

Chris

Zimphire
Baninated
May 2, 2004, 11:59 AM

I wasn't really commenting on the color, but the over all look.

Willy looks like a mix between Shatner and Big Brother from 1984.

I also dislike how they cut him off at the chest, without nothing to "support" him underneath. It's bad design.

m_young
Forum Regular
May 2, 2004, 02:03 PM

Why do we spend all this money putting new features in the new bills, when people can continue to make and spend counterfeit old ones? What incentive is there to counterfeit a new 50 with all the new features, when I can still make the old one?

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 2, 2004, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by m_young:
Why do we spend all this money putting new features in the new bills, when people can continue to make and spend counterfeit old ones? What incentive is there to counterfeit a new 50 with all the new features, when I can still make the old one?
Because they phase out the old money, it just takes time.

Here in Canada your beginning to see all new 5's and 10's as the old ones are replaced. It only took about 2 years too.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules