Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook review from NotebookReview.com

MacBook review from NotebookReview.com (Page 2)
jsousa
May 24, 2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Reize
Icruise; I'm sincerely curious, what was so wrong about how he relayed the product's problems? This was just his first experience, and he will probably say that the product he recieved at first was a defect and this new one is fine, that is, he will in his final review.

jdrumstick; I don't understand your logic. Maybe he prefers the stickers to stay on because he likes how it looks. There's no need to throw out names because of what you assume from a simple picture of his machine. The first three letters of the word assumption serve more than one purpose. Just because you think a student can't have impulse control doesn't mean it's true, he may very well have saved up and bought that himself, I'm fifteen years old and I'm currently saving up to buy a laptop, it's not very difficult if you know how to allocate your money and not to waste it.

First of all, i was just demonstrating what someone else had said about the laptop sitckers with some crappy PhotoShopping skills.

2ndly I happen to know for a fact that their arn't many college students who can afford a $450+ Monthly car payment + Insurance, + pay tuiton for shcool, + rent + food. I'd consider that an extravagant lifestyle. Fact is, a student in Rexburg Idaho, (this is college) will make maybe $6.50 an hour (minum wage is $5.50) say he could manage 30 hours a week while still being a full time student.

$9,360 a year, -10% for taxes, - $3,000 for tuition, - $300 for books (thats generous), and $2,500 for rent (again possible but not likely). That leaves him with $2,624. Divide that by $450, and he can make almost 6 payments a year, so his car was repossed long ago, plus he's not even eating; and his car is uninsured (Insurance would be prolly $150-$200 montly for sub 25 year old).

Its very rare for a kid to drive a nice car while in college that his parents didn't buy for him. And then when he doesn't even take care of it. It just shows that people do not take care of things that they don't have to work hard for. And I was saying that the fact that he left those ugly stickers on made me as angier as the kid who drives his daddy's BMW.

jjspace
May 24, 2006, 04:49 PM

Dude, get over yourself about the stickers. They are stickers who cares. I bet it bothers you when those emo kids put stickers on the outside of their laptops (bothers me as well but I don't flame people on the internet for it.)

Secondly, sure it's easy to save for a laptop when you are 15 years old when you live at home with your parents and you have no living expenses. Please do not claim that nonsense about impluse control. At 15 in most states you cannot even get a job. Talk to me after you have been working a few years and have to pay for things yourself. Chances are you are saving the money your parents give you for mowing the lawn. Also at 15 you don't have many things you can buy on "impluse" since you can't go anywhere to buy anything. Then again you are only 15 years old so you probably won't realize the truth in this post.

Also, while we are on the topic of Idaho, which I have to meantion because who seriously uses Idaho as an example. Those college costs are too cheap, and I would even say far unrealistic if you goto a "good" university. I would simple kill to be able to pay 2500 in rent for 9 months (about 2 semesters) instead of the $460 per month I have to pay becuase this city the college is in is a bunch of jews. I would multiple thoses costs by 2 give or take a few thousand here and there.

jsousa
May 25, 2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by tehfoiler
Dude, get over yourself about the stickers. They are stickers who cares. I bet it bothers you when those emo kids put stickers on the outside of their laptops (bothers me as well but I don't flame people on the internet for it.)

Secondly, sure it's easy to save for a laptop when you are 15 years old when you live at home with your parents and you have no living expenses. Please do not claim that nonsense about impluse control. At 15 in most states you cannot even get a job. Talk to me after you have been working a few years and have to pay for things yourself. Chances are you are saving the money your parents give you for mowing the lawn. Also at 15 you don't have many things you can buy on "impluse" since you can't go anywhere to buy anything. Then again you are only 15 years old so you probably won't realize the truth in this post.

Also, while we are on the topic of Idaho, which I have to meantion because who seriously uses Idaho as an example. Those college costs are too cheap, and I would even say far unrealistic if you goto a "good" university. I would simple kill to be able to pay 2500 in rent for 9 months (about 2 semesters) instead of the $460 per month I have to pay becuase this city the college is in is a bunch of jews. I would multiple thoses costs by 2 give or take a few thousand here and there.
You don't relize that I actually do live in Idaho, and thats what I'm paying. Ofcourse, those rent figures pay for half of a bedroom in a really old crappy apartment with 5 other guys living in it.

But this shcool does suck; and this will be my last semester, I'm going to try to get into a school back home in SoCal.

donovan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2006, 12:15 PM

Icruise; I'm only trying to have a constructive conversation about it, I'm unsure as to why you're sick of this as if it was an out-of-control fight..

jdrumstick; Where did al this come into aply, I was speaking of affording a laptop, which can very well be done before going to college, which is why I gave the example of myself. You don't have to have a car for college, maybe he bikes, he lives in New York and who likes to drive there? You can also get scholarships toc ombat the tuition costs, so then there's the rest. Rent, food, taxes and books are unavoidable, however, maybe he got a cheap little place, doesn't eat much, conserves energy and bought used books? that would help against those. Then of course the laptop can also be bought in monthly payments.

tehfoiler; A little comment on the stickers, laptop thefts are commonplace in many cities, some put stickers on there to make them look cheaper and thus are usually spared of said crime. As I said before, you can buy a laptop pre-college and thus my example stands.

As for commenting on my age as a bad thing and saying I wouldn't understand the truth in the post because of it, that's a low blow. If you cannot contemplate my intelligence from the way I virtually articulate myself and simply assume it's low because I stated my age to be as well, then that is, a low blow.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 25, 2006, 12:49 PM

I'm sick of it because I've already said everything I have to say and yet you're still bringing up the same issues. I don't think it's such a big deal if a few people on a message board don't like a review on your favorite site. Just move on.

jsousa
May 25, 2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Reize
Icruise; I'm only trying to have a constructive conversation about it, I'm unsure as to why you're sick of this as if it was an out-of-control fight..

jdrumstick; Where did al this come into aply, I was speaking of affording a laptop, which can very well be done before going to college, which is why I gave the example of myself. You don't have to have a car for college, maybe he bikes, he lives in New York and who likes to drive there? You can also get scholarships toc ombat the tuition costs, so then there's the rest. Rent, food, taxes and books are unavoidable, however, maybe he got a cheap little place, doesn't eat much, conserves energy and bought used books? that would help against those. Then of course the laptop can also be bought in monthly payments.

tehfoiler; A little comment on the stickers, laptop thefts are commonplace in many cities, some put stickers on there to make them look cheaper and thus are usually spared of said crime. As I said before, you can buy a laptop pre-college and thus my example stands.

As for commenting on my age as a bad thing and saying I wouldn't understand the truth in the post because of it, that's a low blow. If you cannot contemplate my intelligence from the way I virtually articulate myself and simply assume it's low because I stated my age to be as well, then that is, a low blow.

I was actually talking about how stickers equally frusturate me as the kids who have BMWs. Im not saiying that you can't afford a laptop at school because this school as most others require business majors to have Laptops.

As for Icruize. If your sick of the discussion quit posting and it will soon die out!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 25, 2006, 01:38 PM

If people would stop addressing things to me I would!

donovan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2006, 05:08 PM

That's your personal preference and that's fine, I just don't understand how small stickers on a palmrest equate to kids getting spoiled to death by their rich parents..

I don't care if they don't like the review, however, what I'm comcerned about is the attacking of it because they take things out of context. For example, the name had the word review in it, and thus half of the people who read it thought it was a full and complete review because they simply scanned through. They took NBR's name and ran it through the dirt because they took things out of context and I don't want to see that done.

Look at it this way, if someone on here who was one of the greatest contributors to the site, reviewed a laptop, specifically stating several times in the review that it was a preview then it was linked from another site and everyone said it sucked because it didn't even have certain things that a full review should have, I'm not sure if you'd be fine and dandy about that if you liked and respected the aforementioned hypothetical member.

redhot_nyc
Forum Regular
May 25, 2006, 06:13 PM

I didn't know that I was supposed to take off the Centrino sticker! I didn't realize it made me look like a spoilt rich kid.

You guys need to calm down - if I'm not mistaken, you all live in the richest country on Earth and are whining about different definitions of rich.

Remember that "broke" is a temporary state in life, whereas "poor" is a state of mind. (or if you live in India, a caste you're born into and can never escape)

Forum Links
Forum Rules