Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > power macbook sans keyboard/palmrest?

power macbook sans keyboard/palmrest?
raynman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2009, 03:23 PM

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a way to power up a macbook, for diagnostic purposes, with the keyboard/trackpad/palmrest removed? I am in a situation of needing to "bench test" a macbook board, and do not have an available top that I could plug in (unless I disassemble the one I'm typing on now! I really dislike the idea of doing that, but if I must, I shall)

(edit) That would be a white plastic macbook core 2 duo 2.16ghz if that makes any difference...

thanks for any ideas...

raynman
( Last edited by raynman; Jan 7, 2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: error in specifying macbook madel)

ibook_steve
Jan 7, 2009, 07:15 PM

USB keyboard and mouse?

That's the way we did it when I worked at Apple. You'd also have to find where to short the power button to turn it on. I can't help you there, but you can certainly figure out where the cable from the power button connects to the board.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

raynman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2009, 08:30 PM

keyboard, mouse, trackpad and power all seem to go into a single cable, looks to be 10 or 12 contacts...

any idea which contacts to jump? (they are VERY small)

raynman

ibook_steve
Jan 7, 2009, 08:38 PM

If you have the engineering know how to do this, you should know how to use a multimeter to find the correct location. I can't help you there as I don't have one of these machines.

Steve

raynman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2009, 09:00 PM

Thanks Steve - hadn't considered the multimeter because the contacts are significantly smaller than my probes will handle, but I guess I could fashion some pins into small probes and find the one with standing power and go from there...

I was really hoping that someone that had encountered this situation before would have a "simple" answer. By the way, you're right, on the ibooks I have worked on powering up was simple (jumper the two pins on the board where the power button cable plugs into the board) And, of course, the USB keyboard/mouse is the way to go for testing, I would think, just as on the ibooks, once I get it started!

Hard to believe that macbook techs have to attach a top plate to power on a board on the workbench - perhaps a "start/shutdown" button could be fashioned from a dead keyboard cable if one finds the correct pins.... sigh! ...another project for all of my future "free time"

anybody else have any other ideas?

thanks again,
raynman

ibook_steve
Jan 7, 2009, 10:50 PM

I'm willing to bet one of the pins (or holes) for the keyboard/trackpad/power button flex cable can simply be jumpered to ground, so they probably have fashioned a little push button switch for testing, like I used to do to connect to the old tiny Molex power button connector. It's just a matter of figuring out which pin it is.

Steve

idykenano
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2009, 11:40 PM

I'm in the same predicament amazingly with a IC2D 2.2 and have found no success. I even have an old keyboard from an iMac G3 and the power button on that keyboard doesn't do squat when plugged into the macbook.
The cable that connects the keyboard/trackpad unit to the logic board has 5 pins if that's helpful to you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules