Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Question on IP address

Question on IP address
jeff k
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2009, 01:33 AM

I'm with residential DSL Verizon. A friend says I have dynamic IP address. Is that correct?
He said if I unplug my modem and router it may produce a new IP address.

You see, there is a website that sees my IP and is making go through annoying hoops to post my ads there. I want to beat this.

I tried the unplug modem/router, did not work -- so far. Don't want to hide the IP, I just want it to change -- legitimatlly. thanks

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2009, 02:01 AM

This website is probably not discriminating based on your IP address because it can change so easily as you have been told, and because you could very easily access the site elsewhere. If it is giving you special treatment, it is doing it based on your account on that site - you're barking up the wrong tree.

Why don't you contact the owners of the site to find out why your account is getting this special treatment?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2009, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
IYou see, there is a website that sees my IP and is making go through annoying hoops to post my ads there. I want to beat this.
Am I parsing this wrong, or is this guy asking us to help him get around anti-spam measures?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2009, 04:03 AM

I don't know, but his whole description is pretty vague and cryptic.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 6, 2009, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Am I parsing this wrong, or is this guy asking us to help him get around anti-spam measures?
That's my read too.

IT IS THE FORMAL POLICY OF THESE FORUMS THAT WE WILL NOT CONDONE OR ENABLE ANY ILLEGITIMATE ACTIONS. Specifically, we will not help anyone "get around" or "beat" any protections put in place by the legitimate owners of sites or networks. Further, these forums WILL NOT do ANYTHING to help anyone generate and distribute spam for any purpose.

Jeff, all residential-grade DSL service in the US provides a dynamic WAN IP. However, those "changing" IPs are in a block that belongs to your ISP, in this case, Verizon. Simply renewing your IP and getting another one will not "fool" any site that prevents you from posting something based on your IP because any IP you get will still be a Verizon IP.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2009, 08:03 PM

Thanks GH,
just trying to understand the IP issue.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2009, 09:59 PM

jeff,

This seems to be related to this:

http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...bsite-know-me/

Why don't you tell us what website that is ?
Why don't you tell us WHY it bothers you that the website recognizes you ?
Have you been banned from there ?
What kind of "ads" are you trying to post ?

-t

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2009, 11:11 PM

JUst help wanted ads on popular website with initals CL.

They have a moron flagging system, where no life idiots can flag your ads if they don't like your rate of compensation. ..a basic hourly rate or sometimes free exchanges -- (people photographer for print models) which the website has no problem or issues with at all!

Hence, the flagging of the ads and then the IP ID to make me register.

I seem to have the problem solved for now. But the flaggers can make the posting of totally legit and valid ads very difficult.

Forum Links
Forum Rules