Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Facebook buys Oculus Rift

Facebook buys Oculus Rift
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 26, 2014, 09:54 AM

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2014, 11:17 AM

Ha!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 26, 2014, 12:05 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 26, 2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
That's been met with some mixed reactions.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2014, 03:21 PM

Universal reaction from my office (we're an IT company) was WTF as well.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2014, 10:37 AM

Notch's reaction pretty much sums up why he's so well-liked. "Facebook creeps me out."

Honestly, what value does Facebook see in buying a technology that's been so gaming-centric during its development?

OreoCookie
Mar 27, 2014, 12:01 PM

It's quite interesting how perception has changed: when Google and Facebook buy companies, the first reaction is concern and fear (»this is where companies go to die«) rather than hope and joy.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 27, 2014, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
It's quite interesting how perception has changed: when Google and Facebook buy companies, the first reaction is concern and fear (»this is where companies go to die«) rather than hope and joy.
This is a different case. If google had bought OR, there would be the usual eye-rolling, but the possibilities would be obvious. with facebook, the possibilities are lacking.

OreoCookie
Mar 27, 2014, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
This is a different case. If google had bought OR, there would be the usual eye-rolling, but the possibilities would be obvious. with facebook, the possibilities are lacking.
To me, the reactions resemble those when Google bought Nest, people who liked the Nest were concerned as well. I also don't think the reaction would have been any different if Google instead of Facebook had bought OR, to me, the possibilities are not at all obvious. In both cases, a non-gaming company buys a gaming gear company.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 27, 2014, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
To me, the reactions resemble those when Google bought Nest, people who liked the Nest were concerned as well. I also don't think the reaction would have been any different if Google instead of Facebook had bought OR, to me, the possibilities are not at all obvious. In both cases, a non-gaming company buys a gaming gear company.
Then you're neglecting that there are rumors of a google gaming console, something that OR could be a huge boon to.

The Nest furor was over privacy concerns, something that OR can't be exploited for (ATM).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 27, 2014, 01:22 PM

Given what I just posted, I wonder if OR wasn't a middle-finger to google. I feel like facebook and google are in a cold war. Should be interesting if it comes out later that google was sniffing around OR.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 27, 2014, 01:30 PM

I've seen this compared to Yahoo buying up Flickr and Tumblr - a company that is able to see its own demise in the distance buying up companies providing either a tangible product or companies that aren't going out of style.

Now that everyone's grandma has Facebook, it's on the wrong side of cool. Better buy up something with a promising future to avoid the writing on the wall.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 27, 2014, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I've seen this compared to Yahoo buying up Flickr and Tumblr - a company that is able to see its own demise in the distance buying up companies providing either a tangible product or companies that aren't going out of style.

Now that everyone's grandma has Facebook, it's on the wrong side of cool. Better buy up something with a promising future to avoid the writing on the wall.
Of course, Flickr and Tumblr are web services, not hardware. The OR guy's post on Zuckerberg makes it sound like he bought them as a sort of philanthropic sort of gesture. To give them room to breathe and to sell the product at cost. Really odd.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2014, 02:07 PM

Maybe FB is trying to position themselves as "fun", versus the Google... I don't know what the **** it is, but it's only kinda fun. It's an overlord's idea of "fun".

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2014, 02:56 PM

A friend of mine thinks this is a great idea because Facebook can scale. Ok, what does that have to do with VR? I don't get it.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

OreoCookie
Mar 27, 2014, 02:59 PM

Then you're neglecting that there are rumors of a google gaming console, something that OR could be a huge boon to.
Yes, and if you're talking to gamers, how many of them want Google making their next console? I don't see Google as a gaming company, so OR would have been something that's far away from their main business. (The same applies to Facebook, obviously.) If Microsoft had bought them, I don't think there'd be that much concern, because Microsoft is trying hard to be number 1 in the console business.

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 27, 2014, 02:59 PM

I can see why Facebook bought them. They want to be the creators of the next big platform. Basically, they want to be the people that create the Metaverse (Snow Crash) or OASIS (Ready Player One). They realize that VR is actually going to happen this time, so they're positioning themselves at the ground level. Having a hardware company helps them build that foundation, helps ensure that VR is well funded and doesn't fizzle out of the gate, and, of course, gives them access to even more information about people. They'll have Rift sell gear to gamers because that's the in. That's how it gets into people's homes. The social platform comes next. There will be lots of VR hardware manufacturers, and that's fine with Facebook. Because eventually, if all goes according to plan, everyone will be using their platform as the default jumping off point.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 27, 2014, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
They realize that VR is actually going to happen this time
Let's see the prices and effects first. 3D "actually happened" for all the good it did it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2014, 04:02 PM

Sorta like "Will It Blend", I think our VR future should have the site "Will You Barf".

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2014, 11:05 PM

It'll never succeed unless they can do it without requiring people attach a box to their head. Sure someone convinced the Jews, but it's a much smaller box.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules