Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > importing from file

importing from file
pushbutton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2007, 11:36 PM

This may be a rather simple question, but I'm a new user so forgive me. What file types are supported for importing? And how should they be set up?

More specifically; I've already cataloged my CDs with lala.com and I'm trying import my have list.

Here is the list I want to import: http://tinyurl.com/2w4nvk

Although scanning with my iSight is actually quite fun, I'd rather not scan my 170+ CDs if I don't need to. Thanks in advance.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2007, 11:27 AM

Delicious Library imports a tab-delimited text file, with headers, meaning the first line should be a tab-delimited list of what the underlying columns are meant to contain. So, in this case, you should assemble something that looks like:

creator(tab)title
America(tab)History - America's Greatest Hits

If you want to spend a little quality time in TextEdit you can make it easier on yourself by adding a third column to tell Delicious Library what kind of media to restrict its searches to.

creator(tab)title(tab)format
America(tab)History - America's Greatest Hits(tab)CD

The downside of a list like this is it doesn't have any kind of unique identifier, such as barcode number or ASIN, so when you reload them (to get images and additional data) you are going to have to disambiguate the results manually.

(Probably still faster than scanning everything in.)

heimi99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2007, 07:20 AM

Puh, had a hard time to find this one ;-)

Is there anywhere any kind of documentation that describes the possible import tags. And I am on a german OS, should the terms be in german then ?

Please give me some directions on the file import because I have 300+ Audiobook to import and all I could see so far was a hourglass in DL...

Thanx
Andreas

heimi99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2007, 08:46 AM

Ok, I found it somwehere on delicious-monster.com (in the section: Import from other programms ???).

Nothing about that in the german translation of the Help System. Hey Guys ! This really should be in there !

Kr
Heimi

Morbus Iff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2007, 09:16 AM

Yeah, I've seen that same Help document. What I'm more looking for is a list of ALL the fields they're willing to import from a file. I would assume that if I export my library, I'd be able to import the same file, so I'd use that as a basis for all the field possibilities. I wonder, though, if I can import IMAGES from an import file - is there a magic "imageurl" field I could use? Especially important for non-Amazon accessible content.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2007, 03:05 AM

You know I thought there was a thread on here about this very subject. Maybe that was just an email exchange I had. At any rate, there are no secret fields or anything like that. I did manage to make setting images scriptable for 2 tho.

Forum Links
Forum Rules