Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Sharing a Library between users on a machine?

Sharing a Library between users on a machine?
vfbr2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2007, 08:52 AM

Hi - I like the look of the library. I want to use it on my laptop. In the real world my partner and I share a library of books, music and DVDs etc. Is there a simple way, then, of sharing the same delicious library? Is there a simple way to share the database between users?

Christian Heard
London

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2007, 05:23 PM

At this point you may be better off waiting for Delicious Library 2, which has sharing features built in. Otherwise, your best bet is to catalog your library on one computer, then copy the data to the other machine.

The data are stored, in your home folder:
~/Library/Application Support/Delicious Library/

Ptitboul
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2007, 09:21 AM

You can share the files using Unix techniques.

For example, the following commands will allow to share it among all admin users. Using Terminal.app in the account that is currently using DL, you type
mv ~/Library/Application\ Support/Delicious\ Library /Users/Shared
chgrp -R admin /Users/Shared/Delicious\ Library
chmod -R g+w /Users/Shared/Delicious\ Library
ln -s /Users/Shared/Delicious\ Library ~/Library/Application\ Support
This last line is to be typed in all other accounts that you want to use the same library.

There will be some inconsistencies (e.g. the link with addressbook for loaned item will not work), but I am using this trick.

Of course, it is better to create a dedicated Unix group, other than "admin", but I don't want to bother you with that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules