Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > how do you use AppleCare for PB?

how do you use AppleCare for PB?
madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2003, 04:32 PM

This may not be the correct forum, but none of the other forums seemed to fit, and since this does deal with a powerbook, this seemed the best suited one, so I appologize if this is an inappropriate place to ask such questions.
-----------------------------------

My PowerBook I recently bought came with a complimentary 90days of AppleCare support (in addition to the standard warranty). But when I goto the AppleCare website and login, I can view the knowledge base, etc; but when I goto "Review my cases" I of coarse have none and see no place to open a case or question with AppleCare support. And anytime I click a link that I think would let me open a case, I am forwarded to page to purchase AppleCare... WTF happened to my 90 days that came with the powerbook??? Do I need to activate it (it did not come with instructions to do so, nor do I see any place to do so)...

Am I missing something here? Anyone else have trouble getting access to their 90 days of AppleCare support?

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2003, 05:21 PM

I've never really used AppleCare myself, but to the best of my knowledge it's mainly an insurance policy of sorts. Should your computer cut out on you, you call AppleCare at which point (since you have 90-day freebie) you'll get some kind of assistance ranging from a workaround to the replacement of your machine.

Cases are generally given to those that have called into Apple complaining about a problem that Apple deems worthy enough to explore. I've never gotten a case number online, but rather have gotten them when I called the Apple tech support hotline to pick their brains about issues. If you haven't had a problem that you've called in which Apple has given you a case number for, then you shouldn't see any case numbers in your online AppleCare profile. For clarity, it's important to note that there are three factors here for getting a case number. 1) an actual problem with your computer 2) contact made with Apple 3) Apple deeming you problem worthy of exploration. All three must be met, unless I'm mistaken, before you will recieve a case number.

Hope that clears up some of the issues you've been having.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2003, 01:58 AM

Call Apple if you are having problems.

Technical Support Options

To get technical assistance by phone, call 1-800-275-2273. You may purchase per-incident support for $49 unless your product is within its 90-day complimentary support period or is covered by an AppleCare Protection Plan.

(from Apple's Support website)

HTH.

Palafo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 01:06 AM

by the way, it was worth it for me. I am on my third logic board -- this one finally works. there was a video card problem.

cobra7869
Nov 5, 2003, 07:17 PM

You call in for support. Their support is not activated on the site. If you are within your 90 day warranty, just call in and procedd with your request. Not too hard.

"Call 1-800-APL-CARE for:

Apple Certified Repairs
# Repairs are processed through AppleCare's direct mail-in repair service.
# Service professionals repair your system using genuine Apple parts.

Complimentary In-Warranty Repair Service
# Repair service is at no charge if covered by Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty or the AppleCare Protection Plan.
# For repairs not covered by Warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan, see the "Out-Of-Warranty" sections below."

STRAIGHT FROM THE WEBSITE
PowerBook G4 (12-inch): (Rev A) Current Mac
Original iPod, 15GB 3rd Gen, Two iPod Minis (Silver and Pink(for the wife))

Forum Links
Forum Rules