Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" loses wireless connection after sleep...

12" loses wireless connection after sleep...
hall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2003, 10:23 PM

My 12 powerbook doesnt have a ip after it wakes back up. I tried all the tricks from the forums and apple site. Nothing works...

So, I called Apple Care....

They told me that it was a common problem and there was no fix.

They weird thing is I dont remember reading at any forum that people where having the same problem.

Anyone having this problem?

(i'm using a AE card w/ linksys AP)

Hall

MikeD
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2003, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by hall:
My 12 powerbook doesnt have a ip after it wakes back up. I tried all the tricks from the forums and apple site. Nothing works...

So, I called Apple Care....

They told me that it was a common problem and there was no fix.

They weird thing is I dont remember reading at any forum that people where having the same problem.

Anyone having this problem?

(i'm using a AE card w/ linksys AP)

Hall
This happens to me all the time but never think of it. At home, I just select my network again and my keychain stores the WEP key. But at my unviersities library, the ssid isn't broadcast so I have to select "other" manually enter the network name and then a 128bit wep hex key!!! Now that's a pain everytime my laptop goes to sleep in there.

Is this normal behavior? Not sure and I never called Apple. That would be nice if I could store the wep at the university library in my keychain too so I wouldn't have to enter it in all the time. Also, sometimes, I have to re-enter my home WEP key which is weird because it should always be stored in my keychain...

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

bbales
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2003, 11:33 PM

Mine pauses after being awakened -- in fact, I can see the bands, which immediately go away. But if I wait, say, 10 to 15 seconds, it almost always comes back. In fact, today, twice I had to use the assistant to get things back and that was pretty unusual. That had not happened since I upgraded the firmware. By and large, mine recovers after less than 30 seconds, I'd estimate.

Beth

kmingis
Mar 3, 2003, 04:39 PM

It's happening to me, too. And strangely enough, it doesn't happen every time I put my Powerbook to sleep. But when this little bug hits, it's a pain! I can't reconnect easily not matter what I do. In fact, sometimes my PB won't see the base station at all. Sometimes it will see other nearby base stations but not mine. And sometimes it will see my base station but give me an "error" when I type in my password to connect. I've restarted the laptop, shut down the laptop, changed the Network settings, turned the airport card on and off, restarted the base station by unplugging it, and finally, when this happened last night, trashed my Network preferences. (That finally worked.) I'm using the PB with the 802.11g card (obviously) and an 802.11b (snow) base station. I'm beginning to think these two different wireless protocols aren't as compatible as thought.

skyman
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by bbales:
Mine pauses after being awakened -- in fact, I can see the bands, which immediately go away. But if I wait, say, 10 to 15 seconds, it almost always comes back. In fact, today, twice I had to use the assistant to get things back and that was pretty unusual. That had not happened since I upgraded the firmware. By and large, mine recovers after less than 30 seconds, I'd estimate.

Beth
DITTO!

Sleep is still NOT perfect yet. But it sure beats shutting down and restarting.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 3, 2003, 05:20 PM

Yep, I just noticed the same thing last night. It doesn't happen every time, but when it does it seems like you either have to restart the computer or the wireless router to get things going again (I don't think putting it to sleep and waking it again worked). I generally leave my computer on all of the time (it processes video and burns DVDs, etc at night) so I didn't notice this right away, but it's really annoying.

Also, I noticed yesterday that my powerbook apparently turned itself off when in sleep mode. I put it to sleep and then was putting it into a bag to test out the fit. When I opened it up again, it was no longer in sleep and when I pressed the power button it started up as if it had been off.

I'm wondering if I somehow made the battery lose contact or something -- I sort of had to push it a little forcefully into the bag, since it was small. Disturbing.

I also have been having problems with the computer either not going to sleep properly or not waking up. I actually had a kernel panic yesterday when I put the machine to sleep, although I had just disconnected an LCD projector, so that might be the actual cause. There do seem to be sleep issues.

hall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2003, 07:28 PM

i've tried several ap's and i get a disconnect after sleep everytime. I took my PB to work so I could use some of my wireless survey tools to see what was going on. (i was to busy to try it today.. maybe tomorrow)

i'm wondering why it still shows the ssid and access point but no ip....

i know it will be fixed but, i want the sleep feature to work...that's the thing that made me jealous of all my mac buddies.. being able to close the lid, sleep, open lid and start surfin'.

i wish mine would do it sometimes like other reports..

torifile
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 07:47 PM

Hmm. I don't have this problem at all. I do get a little pause, but then it's back. Might it be an access point problem (in combination with the AE)? I usually use a snow ABS. Sometimes a netgear AP (I think).

hall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2003, 09:10 PM

whats weird is that i've tried several vendors...

ctbritt
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by hall:
whats weird is that i've tried several vendors...
I, too, have had this problem with the 12-in., but only with the Airport Extreme Base Station. If I switch over to a Snow BS, no problems whatsoever.

What's weird is that the act of putting the 12-in. powerbook to sleep seems to kill the Xtreme BS, as I have Pismo with the old card in it that also loses the Xtreme BS when I put the 12-in. to sleep! And i'm using all the latest software and firmware.

I think it's a buggy base station, but i don't know.
Christopher Allbritton
MacOS X 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 15-in. 2.33 GHz MBP 2 CD
www.back-to-iraq.com

944turbo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2003, 10:55 PM

If you would quit using linksys and use a real airport extreme with your extreme card, it may work. You own an apple so use apple's extreme card to the extreme.

I bet you have a hotmail account too..

HEHEHE

ymmit
Mar 4, 2003, 11:35 PM

doh!
( Last edited by ymmit; Mar 5, 2003 at 06:22 AM. )

hall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2003, 12:34 AM

i've tried it with several different versions of access points.... ciscos, linksh*ts, colubris. (no vintage AE bubble though)

and i don't ever retain an ip address.... even after hours of sitting there.. i think that's why apple acknowledged there was a problem and didn't tell me to wait 30 seconds.

i used some wireless tools (kismet,airsnort, airmagnet) at work to check what it was doing (funny, i do wireless security and auditing for a living and i cant connect this client to the network.. that's almost as funny as 944terdblows' linksys joke) anyway, the AE card still associates with the old ssid but starts to try polling on every frequency. I see some beacon passes and freq changes but that's about it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 5, 2003, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by ymmit:
come on..

when your pb goes to sleep, it loses its ip connection to the router.

when your pb wakes up, it seeks out for the last IP address allocated to it. if it isn't available, it gets a new IP address from your router.

All this takes time, about 30seconds or so. that's why you don't have connection RIGHT AWAY after sleep.

it's normal behaviour, nothing wrong with your systems.
Did you bother to read the posts?

ymmit
Mar 5, 2003, 06:20 AM

heh.. apologies, I scanned the postings the first time around.

So is the problem with:
- the AE card in general?
- the AEBS in general?
- The 12" PB in general?

or is it a problem with hall's hardware alone?

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Mar 5, 2003, 07:24 AM

This never happens to my computer after sleep. I have a 'loaded' PowerBook, with a Airport Extreme BaseSation.

It is strange that this is happening to some of you fellows.

midwinter
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 07:27 PM

My 12" recently started exhibiting this behavior. Has anyone found a fix? At the moment, my powerbook must be restarted to fix it.

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2004, 09:25 PM

it's a bug with airport extreme and over 1gb of RAM installed apparently. we've been tracking this problem over @ this thread:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

apple has acknowledged there is a problem and a fix is forthcoming.

midwinter
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by wtmcgee:
it's a bug with airport extreme and over 1gb of RAM installed apparently. we've been tracking this problem over @ this thread:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

apple has acknowledged there is a problem and a fix is forthcoming.
Except I have 256 MB of RAM.

midwinter
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 09:31 PM

I took a quick look at the thread, which seems to be about Airport signal dropouts. What's happening for us is that when our powerbooks wake from sleep, they do not obtain an IP address--or obtain an incorrect one.

Mel Dada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2004, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by GlobalNomad:
This never happens to my computer after sleep. I have a 'loaded' PowerBook, with a Airport Extreme BaseSation.

It is strange that this is happening to some of you fellows.
i'm no computer whiz buti had the same problem with 12" 1.33 ghz pwrbiij, until i called apple care. ihad to reload the base station again. that meant starting from scratch and resetting the base station as well as entering in new ip addresses etc etc. it was pretty complicated to me. it took about a half hour. While doing this the support guy asked what kind of phone do I have. it's a 2.5 ghz wireless phone and he said the problem could have something to do with that. this could have scrambled things. just some food for thought.

mel

midwinter
Mac Elite
May 19, 2004, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by Mel Dada:
i'm no computer whiz buti had the same problem with 12" 1.33 ghz pwrbiij, until i called apple care. ihad to reload the base station again. that meant starting from scratch and resetting the base station as well as entering in new ip addresses etc etc. it was pretty complicated to me. it took about a half hour. While doing this the support guy asked what kind of phone do I have. it's a 2.5 ghz wireless phone and he said the problem could have something to do with that. this could have scrambled things. just some food for thought.

mel
What's weird is that mine just kind of started seemingly out of nowhere after working fine for nearly a full year.

Zim
Senior User
May 20, 2004, 09:17 AM

I had this same problem with my 12" at first, a few wacky things...

Under one of the Network/Location areas, there are several choices for how you will connect (Airport, modem, etc).. make sure Airport is listed at the TOP of this list (Human Interface Whoops on Apple's part, never seen this paradigm before).

For grins, I also made sure my SSID was the first alphabetically (altho this is a red herring I think), and I put the password in my keychain (using one of the 2 encryption modes, tho I forget exactly which).

I also made sure my router (NetGear) had the latest update, and took it back to basic settings until I had everything working, then started turning on the options (g-only, MAC-addr restrictions, etc).

Anyway, I ahve it working now. My only issue now is how to get it to auto-remount my drives on my desktop machine when it has rebooted.

Best of luck,
Mike

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2004, 01:47 PM

Well i have the reverse issue here at work. I can't connect to our LAN at the office. I brought it to the Apple store, woke it from sleep and it worked right away when he plugged it into there LAN connection. Weird. Go figure.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2004, 01:52 PM

You could also try resetting the PRAM or going into open firmware and resetting things from there. I did that at the Apple Store and now my Airport Conneection works better.

Here is what I did. WARNING: I TAKE NO RESPOSIBILITY IF THIS F*CKS UP YOUR MACHINE. I USED THIS AND IT WORKED FOR ME. BE VERY VERY CAREFUL WHEN DOING THINGS IN OPENFIRMWARE, YOU CAN SERIOUSLY SCREW UP YOUR MACHINE. YOU MUST TYPE THIS EXACTLY.

to enter into open firmware restart hold down cmd+opt+O (letter o not zero)+ F

reset-nvram
[hit enter key]

set-defaults
[hit enter key]

reset-all
[hit enter key]
( Last edited by typoon; May 20, 2004 at 02:18 PM. )
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

midwinter
Mac Elite
May 26, 2004, 09:22 PM

Problem still exists after updating to 10.3.4. Grr.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 05:17 PM

Someone on the apple boards has found a workaround (it seems related to the latest airport extreme update): set up a dummy user and when you wake the machine, switch to the dummy user and then back again. Works for me.

Hopefully 10.3.5 will fix this.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2004, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by midwinter:
Someone on the apple boards has found a workaround (it seems related to the latest airport extreme update): set up a dummy user and when you wake the machine, switch to the dummy user and then back again. Works for me.

Hopefully 10.3.5 will fix this.
Haven't fully tested it but apparently the bug still exists. I had to pick my wireless network manually after reboot. I might try the dummy tip next.

edit some hours later: Now I woke my machine up from sleep and it connected itself to the last network. Go figure.
( Last edited by sniffer; Aug 10, 2004 at 03:31 AM. )

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 12:49 AM

I have the same problem too!

Usually it'll work again if I close the lid, put it into sleep mode, then reopen the lid. But sometimes even that doesn't work, so I'd have to hook it up to a cable, which totally defeats the purpose of having wireless

midwinter
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 12:51 AM

Turns out the fix doesn't work consistently for me. At the moment, we're trying to track down whether or not this is related to some kind of software.

Do any of you experiencing this problem have Pocketmac installed, by any chance?

raferx
Senior User
Aug 10, 2004, 01:29 AM

Nobody has mentioned it yet but...

Is your Airport Network setting for joining "Automatic"?

We had this problem on my wife's Pismo, and my TiBook when I had it set for "Specific Network"... after I switched to "Automatic" it never happened again.

Everytime after wake it pauses for about 1/4 a second, then picks up the wireless again.

We both have Airport Cards, and use a Linksys Wireless B Router.
Cheers,
raferx

midwinter
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 01:34 AM

Yes. Automatic. It seems that for all of us everything was working fine until one of the airport extreme updates, and then the problem began.

tvbi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 11:38 AM

mine picks up the network..full signal but can't suft the web at all. I have to turn off the router and turn it back on for it to works again This happen once every 10 sleeps
Mac Pro: 2.66Ghz • ATI X1900 XT • 8 GB • 1TB • 10.5.1
Powerbook (12"): 1.33Ghz • 1.25GB • 100GB

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2004, 11:57 AM

I'm glad it's not just me with this problem. I kept blaming my D-Link access point but it's the Mac. At the moment I think I'm going to have to restart the PB as even resetting the AP, which normally sorts the problem, is not curing it.

Grrr. And I'm on 10.3.5....

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

mosch
Aug 10, 2004, 03:15 PM

PB12 Rev A. 867 with 640MB of RAM.
AEBS, with modem.
Location set to Automatic.

I've never known what the problem was, but it's intermittent, and the only reliable "solution" seems to be to reboot both the base station and the laptop.

Very, very annoying. Hopefully 10.3.5 fixed it!

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2004, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by mosch:
Hopefully 10.3.5 fixed it!
It didn't...

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 04:03 PM

This is so annoying! I haven't been able to use wireless since 10am PST this morning. I'm connected via cable right now to post this rant

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2004, 04:42 PM

i lose my network occasionally (i swear it seems to happen when i suddenly see a commercial network in my network list).

my netgear b router lost signal regularly; my new dlink g (with a revC 12"pb) is much better)

usually there tho when i wake from sleep...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

midwinter
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 07:10 PM

I'm beginning to suspect that this is related to the last Airport Extreme card firmware update. Does anyone know if there's a way to re-install it or uninstall it?

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2004, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by WOPR:
Grrr. And I'm on 10.3.5....
You called? Erm, anyway.. My 12" rev b pb has never done this. My 1.2ghz eMac does it often though. Yet both are set up the same way, running the same OS, both with airport extreme cards, and connected to a Netgear DG834G wireless ADSL modem.
pb has 768mb ram. eMac has 1gig ram.
So i'd have thought this bug is not specific to certain kinds of Macs? IE powerbooks.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2004, 01:25 AM

I lose airport connections after sleep occasionally. I simply select another location and then reselect the one I want to use. The connection comes back up. I do have a one tip that seems to help when a system gets confused. BTW, I do have the locations set to specific wireless networks rather than automatic.

Tip: Go into network preferences and intentionally enter an INCORRECT password for the wirelss network. Apply it and you'll see a dialog complaining it is the wrong password. At this point (this step is vital) either quit the system preferences or at least switch to another preference panel. This forces the incorrect password to be saved. Once, you have stored the wrong password, repeat the entry and application of network password in network preferences. This time, enter the correct password and force it to be stored by quitting system preferences.

After doing that, my balkier machines that fail to reconnect automatically after wakeup once more connect upon wakeup.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2004, 04:56 PM

I HAVE A WORKAROUND!!!

Chalk it up to going out of town and fighting with a ski resort's wireless access. Here's what you do:

Set up a dummy location/network and tell network preferences to always connect to it.

When you wake your PB up from sleep, it'll connect to the dummy network that's not there. Select your airport network from the airport signal drop-down and you should reconnect to your network just like normal.

Been working for me since Thursday with no problems.

I'm off to post this to the apple discussions.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2005, 01:48 PM

I kind of assume this will never be fixed and is a hardware problem with the 12" PB. I even bought a new router and it still does it.

GRRRRRR!!!!!

/does Hulk smash

rapsac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2005, 01:33 AM

I have had problems connecting using my 802.11b airport card and tiger.
I found a way around the problem.
Go to Network preferences and duplicate your airport port configuration
This worked instantly for me. Which indicates that perhaps the slower connection speed of the 'b' cards is affecting connection, with only the second connection able to connect properly.

rapsac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2005, 01:38 AM

WAIT!!!

I ALSO made both airport configurations first on the list of port configurations to be checked..
so EITHER method could be the correct one (OR BOTH)

J0KER
Mar 25, 2006, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by rapsac
Go to Network preferences and duplicate your airport port configuration
Finally, something that worked for my iBook, 10.3.9. Problem: after changing users or bringing out of sleep with lid closed airport would immediately lose IP and I had to reconnect manually. I've been doing this for almost a year at a loss for a fix, but I did the above and am finally rid of the problem. I think what broke it was security patch 10 months ago. Thanks, rapsac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules