Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Bittorrent Question

Bittorrent Question
jasong
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 09:27 AM

Hi all. I am downloading some things via bittorrent, and I noticed something strange. The files were downloading between 10 to 25 kb/sec. for a total download speed of around 70 kb. Nothing amazing, but not terrible, or so I thought. I was also uploading back at around 45 kb/sec, which is about my total upload capability (I did not have a cap on upload speed). I needed to email a file to someone, so I put a cap on my upload speed at 30 kb/sec so I would have some room to upload. Suddenly my download speeds more than tripled!

I understand that downloading requires a certain amount of upstream bandwidth, but why would bittorrent function in a manner that adversely affects its ability to download? Or is this not the case and my downloads (which had been running for a few hours) coincidentally speeded at the same time I made the change. Should bittorrent upload speeds be capped at something below your top upload speed?

Thanks for your help.
-- Jason

ghporter
Administrator
May 20, 2006, 10:36 AM

Torrents are all about more sources, rather than giving you better download speeds. I can't say why cutting back upload speed by 1/3 would tripple your download speed, but I'm not terribly surprised. BitTorrent (and similar apps) is full of surprises, many of which adversely affect everything on your computer except the upload speed of what you're hosting.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thinine
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 12:26 PM

It's possible that by limiting your upload speed you allowed your download stream to communicate with the various peers faster, which sped the downloads. I'm assuming you're on cable? Cable's upload bandwidth is usually so limited that BitTorrent can't decide what to give it to.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 03:25 PM

What you say is true.

You cant have it use your full upload as it needs a bit extra to communicate with sources etc. you shouldset it to 80 or 90% of your max upload
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules