Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 9.1 included in Mac OS X? Ouch!

Mac OS 9.1 included in Mac OS X? Ouch!
tsung
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2001, 05:17 PM

What a slap in the face for the people who bought the full install Mac OS 9.1 CD. I was able to get mine at the $20 rate through Mac Up-to-Date. But imagine if you shelled out $100 for a full install of 9.1 and $30 for Mac OS X Public Beta only to find out that you 9.1 comes free with X? I think apple should come up with an upgrade structure for people who bought 9.1 and/or the Public Beta. Thoughts?

Ham Sandwich
Feb 1, 2001, 05:26 PM

I think that most people that bought the 9.1 update at full price probably won't be upgrading to X anytime soon.

Maybe just me but I thought there wasn't much of a reason to buy a full upgrade when the "big" upgrade was just a little further down the road.

-s'fit

PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2001, 06:07 PM

I read somewhere at these forums that people who bought the PB will get a $30 discount on the final version. Don't quote me on that though. Don't know if the same goes for the full 9.1 CD.
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2001, 12:08 AM

Just trying to stop some mythology here.

There is only ONE CD for 9.1 - they (Apple) refer to it as "update" if you qualify for the discount price,
the "full install" is if you have to pay the heavy freight (not eligible for discount) - you get the same CD
- there's only one.

The download update to 9.1 is not a complete 9.1 as the read me's make clear - Apple recommends
9.1 be installed from the CD.

WDL

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2001, 03:28 AM

I ordered the 9.1 CD for $20 and I'm glad I did. OS X will include "OS 9.1 for Classic compatibility," but I'm not convinced that means you would be able to install a separate, bootable 9.1.

I plan to keep two bootable partitions: 9.1 on one and OS X on the other.

Of course, I'm all for that $30 discount for PB owners

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2001, 11:18 AM

I didn't want to wait for an "incomplete" update CD, I had the 9.0 (not 9.0.4) and then, I like having a bootable, current CD/Installer. I expect(ed) that for 9.1 buyers there would be a coupon discount in addition to the $30 for PB beta (which I also bought).

I have no qualm, no illusion, I've got boxes of old software, parts, disk drives, cards, from past projects (including SuSe Linux etc).

I bought the Pro keyboard expecting it to include the update CD, but was too early, and thanks to lack of ability to power-on (I keep the PowerMac 3' away to reduce noise etc), I'm still using trusty old ADB Extended keyboard (and ADB LCD monitor). So I also have three unused USB keyboard (iKey, the hockey puck mouse and k/b, and Pro k/b) back in their boxes. Now THAT was a waste.

Come spring I'll do some spring cleaning and unload this.

OS 9.1 full install saves me so much grief, works so much better, it's paid for itself is time not spent on crashes, repair etc. If it saves me a day of trouble-shooting - I come out ahead.

Greg

Phaedrus
Feb 3, 2001, 03:46 AM

Gregory,

If you want to sell the pro keyboard please email me...I'll give you a fair price for it. I'm on the micro USB keyboard and not likeing it as much as I do the pro keyboard. My hands are big and sometimes I get tripped up on this tiny keyboard.

[email protected]

Thanks!

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Feb 3, 2001, 04:08 PM

Well I would agree that those that purchased the full OS 9.1 CD probably don't want another one. If I were in their shoes I'd be a little miffed myself.

What would be great is if Apple offerred a non-OS 9.1 CD included OSX 1.0 for those that already purchased the full 9.1 CD. I'd say a 50% discount of the full OSX with OS 9.1 CD cost would be fair (but still more expensive).

So what do people with these spare OS 9.1 CD's do? Sell 'em on e-bay

Hmmm maybe it's on the same disk :-/

Mike

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 3, 2001, 05:31 PM

I have 8.1, PowerMac B&W 8.6, 9.0 gathering dust. And while a coupon discount for 9.1 owners makes a lot of sense, probably looking at $20 if Apple did. Maybe I should sell my 9.1 now also?

I already placed pre-order w/ discount with Apple - and actually I hope that it ISN'T 9.1 but rather an even more current (Carbon 1.3, QT5, etc) version.

As for how many CDs, the OS XPB was full already, and 9.1 has 500MB worth.

Greg

huggs2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2001, 05:44 PM

Yes i bought 9.1 at the full price in readiness for osx the day after it was announced at macworld.I notice now that you can pre-order osx
at the apple store but there is no rebate for me.This means i pay $229 in the space of 3 months.? Now if it were announced at macworld that 9.1 was included with osx then that would be another matter.

austeros
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2001, 02:19 AM

i love being a student, i found out that i can get osX for $69. man am i happy =)

There's someone in my head but its not me...

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2001, 02:46 AM

If you also own the Public Beta of OS X and have given feedback on the beta to Apple you can use the $30 off coupon, but not on the education store website. They will give the $30 discount to you if you call the 800 number for the Apple Education store. Therefore you can get OS X final for $39 net!

mkbhatia
Administrator
Feb 4, 2001, 03:16 AM

I don't think there's any requirement that you give Apple feedback. Anybody who ordered the Public Beta is eligible for the rebate.

m.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2001, 04:12 AM

I gave zero feedback and got the rebate.

Gabriel Morales
Feb 5, 2001, 03:36 AM

It's true that Apple should have stated Mac OS X would include 9.1 before they put Mac OS 9.1 standalone up for sale. But I mean- It only takes a little common sense, guys...

Most of the problem with this next generation operating system has centered around compatibility. How could Apple possibly ship Mac OS X without the ability to run (non-carbonized) classic Mac OS apps??

Sometimes, it's better to wait things out before second guessing. I bought the Mac OS 9.1 CD because my Mac can't run Mac OS X and it'll be at least a while before I can get a new Mac (which I have been planning to do anyway). Otherwise, I would've just waited and ordered Mac OS X.

------------------
Gabriel Morales http://GabrielMorales.net/

huggs2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2001, 04:06 PM

apple store rang me today in reply to my e-mail and have agreed to credit me towards osx as soon as i send back the 9.1 disk.
well done apple. My faith in them has well and truly been restored.

Forum Links
Forum Rules