Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > File Sharing

File Sharing
ethan79
Feb 3, 2001, 05:14 PM

Hi.... today ... out of a sudden ...
my ibook 466 SE had a problem with the File Sharing ...

Previously, in fact all along ... i am not sharing any files since i am not connected to any network. However, today my ibook keep prompting me to click on my finder with the message " unable to share files " ..

I have to uncheck the file sharing extension under the file extension before the message stop appearing. Does anyone knows what is the problem ? For if I am not wrong, there is no need for me to uncheck it as i am rather sure that before this problem appear, I have the file sharing extension checked, and that the files sharing icon is on the control strip. Now that i have unchecked it at the file extension, the icon at the control strip disappeared.

Before i unchecked the file extension, i click on the icon on the control strip, the status of file sharing is off. So what is the problem ?
Not Fatal, but just would like to keep the default factory settings on my ibook if possible. Would really like a solution to solve this problem.

What is the problem ? Or for all of you out there, the file sharing was actually unchecked all along ?
Thank you for helping.

[This message has been edited by ethan79 (edited 02-03-2001).]

ethan79  (op)
Feb 3, 2001, 05:52 PM

Hi ... back with a solution ...

For other users facing the same problem...
decided to try unrelentlessly to solve the problem until i see a solution on the forum.
Below is what i do to solve the problem, may not be the best. But it works !

first i enable the file sharing extension again, then i click away the error message. Then i click onto the icon for file sharing on the control strip. I click open the file sharing control panel, then i entered the particulars for the users/password/computer name (WHICH i previously left it blank before the problem arise) after that i check the box on enable file sharing over TCP/IP and then the files sharing is activated.

Upon acitvation of file sharing, i open icon again and then turn off the file sharing. After this is done, i restart the computer. The problem is solved.

Can anyone tell me what causes the problem ? and why is there a need for me to do so to resolve the problem?

Thank you very much.
From a Mac newbie

Forum Links
Forum Rules