Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 3GS Screen Coating

3GS Screen Coating
cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2009, 07:24 AM

First off, I apologize if there is already a thread covering this topic, but I didn't see it in my search.

I picked up the new 3GS last night, and when I took the film that covers the phone, I was surprised to see that the screen is indeed glossy, just like the original 3G. The store didn't have any on display, so I wasn't able to check out wether or not they had a matte coating on the screen. That said, all of the pictures that I have seen in reviews of the phone, the screen looks as if it has a matte coating. Has anyone else seen this, or is the screen of the new iPhone indeed glossy like the original? I do know that my original iPhone, and then my 3G were fingerprint magnets, and this one seems to resist them quite a bit more. I was just wondering about the matte coating I've seen at several media sites.

Thanks all!
-Dann
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2009, 07:38 AM

The screen was updated slightly to make it easier to clean and more resistant to smudges. A welcome change.

cSurfr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2009, 08:00 AM

You're right about that. . . I can tell it's less prone to being a magnet. I just thought the screen was going to be matte from the factory. I guess they had to keep power support in business

I do with they would have applied the same coating to the back of the phone as well!

I can say without a doubt, the phone is MUCH faster than the original 3G.
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2009, 09:01 AM

Yep - my brother just got the 3GS and we've been doing side-by-side comparisons on most applications. Noticeable differences in even the simplest of tasks - eg. opening photos.

cSurfr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 24, 2009, 09:13 AM

Do you or your bother have any kind of protection on your iphones? I'm thinking of going with an invisible shield this afternoon, only because it seems that every single case that I have seen scratches the chrome bezel within a few days of being installed.

Bearsfan34
Jun 25, 2009, 01:40 PM

I wouldn't bother with a screen protector on the 3GS personally...that would negate the oleophobic coating.

If you're speaking more of the bezel/back/sides of the iPhone protection, that's not a bad idea. I'd shy away from Bodyguardz, unfortunately. I got Bodyguardz protectors for the original iPhone, and it worked GREAT. Then I got a 3G, bought Bodyguardz again...and the screen protector was great, but the rest of the 3G plastic covering sucked HARD. It was not cut correctly or something, but everything I tried simply didn't work. I even had someone in my family who has a much more steady hand than me who's done stuff like this before try with the 2nd set of Bodyguardz, and it was almost worse than my attempt.

Invisible Shield I've heard is "good." It's cut better, but is more of a pain to put on than Bodyguardz. Application of Bodyguardz is no big deal, but a friend of mine who's done Invisible Shield said it was NOT easy to put on, FWIW.

I just went with an iSkin solo FX case.
-Core i5 MacBook Pro, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; iBook G4 1.2GHz, 1.25GB RAM
-5G white iPod 30GB; original U2 iPod 20GB mono; now on 32GB Black iPhone 4
-...oh, and a PC too.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2009, 01:51 PM

Won't your screen get scratched all to hell without screen protection?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Not at all actually. The screen has proven to be the most durable of the shell as far as I've seen. I had my original iPhone for 2 years with no protection at all, and I dropped it quite a bit. The screen is still perfect with zero scratches. The back was the only part that got scratched but even then it was just a few scratches.

You can find all sorts of videos of people trying to scratch the screen. Putting the iPhone in a baggie with rocks/keys/etc and shaking it. The screen comes out unharmed.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2009, 01:59 PM

It's surprisingly difficult to scratch the screen itself. I don't use any protection and have only one noticeable scratch, which I didn't cause.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2009, 04:45 PM

Nope, like others said.

I had my 3G for a year, not protection, and I have not even a scratch on my screen.

-t

ibook_steve
Jun 25, 2009, 04:55 PM

Sing it with me: "Bill Nye the Science Guy!"

Giz Bill Nye Explains: The iPhone 3GS's Oleophobic Screen

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2009, 03:16 AM

Not at all.

In fact when the iPhone came out I remember some guy did a Youtube clip where he put the iPhone in a bag together with some coins and keys. He shook the bag for a while to 'emulate' regular wear and tear. He took the iPhone out of the bag and it looked absolutely perfect, no scratches, nothing. At the time I didn't really believe it would hold up that well. I have now had a 3G for a year and never used any kind of protective case. I just carried it around in my pocket. And indeed, it still looks as good as new.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2009, 06:14 AM

Well, I do have a case for my iPhone 3G and the one and only time I forgot to put it back in it, I ended up with a scratch on the screen

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2009, 07:20 AM

While the screen is quite scratch resistant, I've been reading reports that the coating can be scratched. People who treat their 3Gs as they did with their 3G only to have some scratches which is presumably the coating.

Since it is a coating and there's little history on the durability of the coating, I'm getting a case that includes a flap on it, so when its in my pocket it will be that much more protected.
~Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules