Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Scanning Photos for iPhoto

Scanning Photos for iPhoto
jasong
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2004, 12:44 PM

Hi all, I have albums of old photos that I want to scan and keep in iPhoto. I am currently using a 2 MP digital camera and am happy with the 4x6 prints I have made from it, so I wanted to scan the photos at roughly that quality.

I have an Epson Perfection 636 U, which allows me to scan at 72, 150, 300, 600, 1200, etc. DPI. Which of these settings most closely equals 2 MP?

Also, any suggestions on the best way to do this? Obviously I have a lot of photos to scan in, so any shortcuts or tips would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

-- Jason

clam2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2004, 12:20 AM

here is a nice chart of megapixel and dpi correlation.

due to the ammount of pictures i would highly recommend a batch scanning utility (epson has a free one). after you scan every page in without bothering with cropping or anything you can go back and make those adjustments.

i scanned in about half of one of my history textbooks a couple years ago so i didn't have to carry the book around with me, it worked just fine and took about half an hour per chapter. (30-50 pages).

--will

jasong  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 04:43 PM

Thanks, but I am a little confused. My 2.1 MP camera (a Kodak DX 3600) images download into iPhoto as 1800 x 1600 pixels at 72 DPI. I used the iPhoto service to make prints out of some of them at 4 x 6 and they are pretty much indistinguishable from "real" photographs (at least to my eye). According to this site 72 DPI is unusable. Does DPI work differently when dealing with photo printers as opposed to laser or standard inkjet printers?

Thanks again for your help.

-- Jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules