Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Getting RAW files from Aperture

Getting RAW files from Aperture
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2010, 05:58 AM

I promise that I've searched long and hard for this. Its probably something really simple. I'd like to backup the RAW files (NEF actually) that are 'in' Aperture. The only time that I've seen the RAW files are when I delete and they're in the Trash. I don't want to backup the Aperture Library (thats already done). I'd like in the end to burn the RAW files to another media and be able to maybe open them with another application in the future.

So, is there a way to backup the RAW (NEF) files outside of Aperture?

SkaGoat
Jun 22, 2010, 10:29 AM

All you have to do is select all your photos, then choose File -> Export -> Masters

There are options in that dialog to have it split them up into folders based on the Projects etc. So just have it spit all your Master files into a folder on your desktop, then you can back them up however you wish.

OreoCookie
Jun 22, 2010, 10:53 AM

Or you can export the whole project -- which also saves your edits. Just having the RAW files is almost worthless.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by SkaGoat View Post
All you have to do is select all your photos, then choose File -> Export -> Masters

There are options in that dialog to have it split them up into folders based on the Projects etc. So just have it spit all your Master files into a folder on your desktop, then you can back them up however you wish.
Exactly whats needed, cheers.

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Or you can export the whole project -- which also saves your edits. Just having the RAW files is almost worthless.
Why worthless? If I use another photo editing or management app, then I can use the RAW files. IIUC its also a good method of (near)future proofing photo backups.

OreoCookie
Jun 22, 2010, 05:38 PM

Regarding the RAW files, all the work goes into custom edits, crops, tagging and sorting. All that gets lost. Of course, you still have the original, but you'll lose most of your work.

Regarding backups, you should back up whole projects or use Aperture vaults. They contain the edits and the original files. It's a much better backup strategy. In principle if you choose to migrate to another piece of software, you can export the RAW files to whatever file format you prefer in order to keep a lot of your work.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules