Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > disk copy question.

disk copy question.
posthumanus
Senior User
Feb 2, 2001, 11:51 PM

i've got a couple of CDrom's i got free when i bought my iMac a year ago and haven't really given them much attention cause they're being difficult.

world book encyclopaedia & falcon 4: i've slotted them both in and installed as per instructions, but whenever i try to play they both tell me to insert the CD: which is a no can do when i'm listening to music.

i seem to recall disk copy might be the answer but i've tried messing around with it and nothing's changed. they're both there, sitting on my HD, but they won't run without the CD!

seems stupid to me: anyone got the solution?

posthumanus over: and thanks in advance.

elzinat
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2001, 01:05 AM

with Disk Copy, you can make a "disk image" of your cd-roms, which is a (very large) file sitting on your HD with all of the data that was on your cd. this image can be "mounted," and then the cd-rom's icon appears on your desktop and the computer acts as though the cd were in an attached drive.
to create image: 1) insert cd-rom into computer 2) drag cd-rom icon from desktop to Disk Copy icon
to mount image: double-click disk image icon

this is wonderful, except that many software companies, to "discourage" piracy, have made it so that their application programs will not be "tricked" by a mounted disk image into thinking that the cd-rom is actually in the computer. if this is the case with the software you are using, I would recommend getting iTunes, encoding your music to mp3, and playing the music off of your hard drive, with the cd-rom in the cd drive.
I would actually recommend this above keeping disk images on your HD, since a full-length music CD compresses to ~70 MB, vs a 700 MB disk image.
hope this helps!

------------------
be happy!
-mac freak

posthumanus  (op)
Senior User
Feb 3, 2001, 01:54 AM

thanks elzinat:

will try it out tomorrow. storage space is not a problem as i have gigs to spare.

posthumanus out.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2001, 03:48 AM

um... i still cant figure it out... i want to play quake3 w/o the cd (i have the original) to save battery life(?!)

what is the best way to do it? please give a better detailed example if possible, and also use up minimum HD space.

Cipher13
Feb 3, 2001, 09:58 AM

Hm... perhaps the difficulty lies in the image rather than the app...
I'll grab a copy of Falcon 4 tomorrow (I was gonna buy it off a friend anyway, may as well be soon), and give it a go.
I'll try normally at first, then give CD Copy a go, as long as I can mount the damn image properly
If the problem lies in the image, then CD Copy will solve that problem.
Otherwise, I suggest you get on Hotline and find a CD crack for the game[s].
I'll have a look tomorrow...err, today for ya when I get on Carracho. Good luck...

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules