Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > slow Global Village modem in a PB 520c

slow Global Village modem in a PB 520c
ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2001, 07:21 PM

I am of the understanding that the Global Village Power Port Mercury modem in my PB 520c is capable of connecting at 19.2, but the fastest I have yet to connect at is 14.4. I tried two different ISP's (Earthlink and some local free thing) but got the same results. Is there a way to look at it and see if it's really a 19.2? Could it have the wrong command string typed into it so it only connects at 14.4? I don't really know much abut command strings but I think it's set to connect the fastest way possible. And Free PPP is set at 57600 or whatever the exact number is (PB isn't here right now). Does anybody else have one of these that actually connects at 19.2?

Val

Allah
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2001, 12:20 AM

That is often the case with modems. A 56k connects at 44 or 48. a 33.6 connects at 24.4 to 32 and so on.

What this means is when you dial up oyur ISP your modem talks to the ISPs modem first asking for it's maximum, then it goes down the list of speeds from highest to lowest till the ISPs modem says it can accomodate that speed.

The only way you might get more speed is by altering your modem script. If you have a manual for the modem it should give you info on what does what. If you have that try some "AT" codes from ClarisWorks communications module or some other app that servese the same function.
Good luck!
Carp� Bandwidth

Tim Michael [finboy]
Feb 1, 2001, 02:41 PM

Actually, with the GV for the 5xx machine, there is a little-supported protocol that allows you to get 19.2, but it's only supported by a few providers. I think I only got on AOL at 19.2 a few times the entire year that I had my 520. Sure it's conditional on the phone connection and line clarity, but it's also a special protocol that's needed. Even at the time it was introduced, calling it a 19.2 modem was controversial on the boards.

MacFan2001
Feb 3, 2001, 02:15 PM

I've used AT&T as my ISP ( worldnet.att.net) successfully with a PB540 and a Global Village 19.2 modem for six years. Make sure you are using the correct software from GV, and be patient. I sometimes have to disable the dial tone in order to get a fast connection.

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2001, 05:46 AM

Actually the 19.2 protocol went by the moniker v.32Turbo. It was the halfway point between 14.4 and 28.8 and was not a hardware improvement so much as a data compression improvement. For a long time I was with ISPs that supported the 19.2 protocol, but when I moved to Earthlink a few years back I was never able to get higher than 14.4, but I always got 14.4 when I logged on. That was about the time I got a new PowerBook, so I didn't worry about it much after that. I'm not on the second PowerBook after my 520/c and I always make connections between 48 and 49,999. Not bad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules