Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Video Card - PM 9600...Which one To Get?

Video Card - PM 9600...Which one To Get?
instigator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2001, 02:52 PM

I'm in the market for a PCI video card for my 9600/300. It currently has the 8 meg card that shipped with it. Any suggestions on a real good card? Im not a real big gamer but would like the option. My main interest is improving screen re-draws while surfing etc. Does my systems 50 mhz bus speed affect which choice I should make?

Thanks!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2001, 04:37 PM

I would recommend a Rage 128 card or Radeon. Either card would help with screen redraws. The Rage 128 card should be alot cheaper - I believe ATI is not manufacturing them anymore, but stores will still have them. They are still supported. The Radeon is going to be more expensive, may be more than you need, and may be under-utilized by the machine.

The ATI Rage 128 cards are available in retail as the ATI Orion, ATI Nexus 128, or ATI Xclaim VR 128. More info is available www.atitech.com
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Osglith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2001, 05:17 PM

i agree. Don't go with the Voodoo cards. They just got bought. I would say that a RAGE 128 would be best. It's $150 at the apple store, but if you call someone like maczone or mac mall they can beat that.

My 9600 has two ATI RAGE Orions. They are 16MB and o.k., but not as good as my RAGE 128 PROs.

instigator  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2001, 07:46 PM

Cool. What is the benefit of having two video cards? Is it to run two or more monitors or is there something else? Can they be hooked up to work together on one monitor?

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Feb 4, 2001, 09:50 PM

Well, you can Surf on Macnn on one screen and do totaly something different on another. Just plugem both up to monitors, and you can set everything in the monitors control panel of what resolutions and positions you want everything in. Another words, while one monitor is in 800x600, the other can be in 1600x1200, of course being hooked into their respective boards. I LOVE dual Monitor systems. Now If I only had a bigger desk...
- Eric

Forum Links
Forum Rules