Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Indian killed in response to WTC attacks

Indian killed in response to WTC attacks
parallax
Admin Emeritus
Sep 16, 2001, 10:21 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/16/gen...ing/index.html

My god. How bad can this get?

Funny thing is, I was just imagining something like this would happen. You wonder how terrorists could do such a thing against the US, but THIS?

In my opinion, this guy is worse than those terrorists who hijacked the plane (suicide terrorists do this out of faith, not malice).

In addition, I haven't seen this story advertised on the news (other than tickers), but I have seen less important stories take up much time!

Where the hell are our priorities?
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2001, 10:41 PM

"The land of the free, and the home of the brave..."

Originally posted by parallax:
<STRONG>In addition, I haven't seen this story advertised on the news (other than tickers), but I have seen less important stories take up much time!

Where the hell are our priorities?</STRONG>
Our priorities, or at least those of the media, are exactly where they've always been: money. If they tell stories about how American's are banding together in this time of need and how everyone's supporting everyone else then people get all enthusiastic about the cause and the general hysteria that the media exploits so well continues. If they let people know that Americans can be horrible too, even at times like this, the mob mentality that most people are experiencing right now will fade, and people won't be quite as susceptible to media control. As long as there is hysteria, of any sort, the media is profiting.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2001, 10:44 PM

There was another story on the news channels about a group of small town kids. They are brown. They work in the local coffee shop of a small town of about 10 000 people. The shop had to be closed by the police because in the hree hours since they opened (after the NYC and Washington attacks) they'd recieved hundreds of threats. The kids were basically to scared to go home.

People want to put the fear of God into some TERRORISTS, fine, that's probably a good idea (only there isn't much fear you can put into people willing to kill themselves just to take a few of us along with them) But Indians, Pakistanis, and Arabs are NOT your ENEMY: skin color doesn't make them terrorists, neither does a thick accent, or a different kind of dress. In a lot of ways new immigrants are the most American Americans that America can get. Some recognition of your fellow citizens? It's not so hard to do.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2001, 11:01 PM

"struggling against fanaticism"

not exactly a response, but good words, ny times...

i worry about everyone's anger, and where it goes...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Sep 16, 2001, 11:20 PM

that b*st*rd, the sad thing is all he will get is a slap in the wrist for taking someones life.... that is really sad.. I knew it would happen, there are a lot of racists out there.
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

steve666
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2001, 11:23 PM

The media also didn't report the stories of arabs cheering the bombong in patterson, NJ westbury LI and atlantic ave in brooklyn. Guess they don't want to inflame emotions. I can't belive people wopuld just attack others without knowing what they're feeling, just because of their ethnicity. Damn ignorant. Those cheering should have been beaten, but not innocents......................................... ................................

knifecarrier
Banned
Sep 16, 2001, 11:45 PM

Ya know... if the dude had said something like "bullseye" and then got his ass kicked until he died, I really wouldnt feel sorry for him. If it was just some racist dumbass who killed him for no reason, then that is wrong. Well, both is wrong, but one was sorta asking for it.

- Ca$h

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2001, 03:23 AM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
<STRONG>Our priorities, or at least those of the media, are exactly where they've always been: money. If they tell stories about how American's are banding together in this time of need and how everyone's supporting everyone else then people get all enthusiastic about the cause and the general hysteria that the media exploits so well continues. If they let people know that Americans can be horrible too, even at times like this, the mob mentality that most people are experiencing right now will fade, and people won't be quite as susceptible to media control. As long as there is hysteria, of any sort, the media is profiting.</STRONG>
You can't be serious. You think a bunch of media barons are sitting in their plush offices rubbing their hands together with glee saying, "This is great!"? Maybe William Randolph Hearst, but he's been dead a long time.

The TV networks ran nonstop coverage of this thing for days with no ads. They lost tens of millions of dollars doing that.

And as to the "coverup" of the outbursts of hate against Arabs: My local newspaper published a large photo of an Arab convenience store clerk behind bullet-riddled glass (it was bullet-resistant, so he wasn't hurt, thank God). CNN just an hour ago had a shot of someone with a sign saying "Islam is not the enemy." Probably every local newspaper has run stories about the fears of the local Muslim community.

All those people you see buying flags and attending rallies and memorial services: That's a real outpouring of emotion, not "media control."

What happened in Mesa was horrible, but the reason it's not splashed across national TV is probably this:

A motive for the shootings has not been determined and police said they can't say whether the attacks were racially motivated.
So, he may have been killed "in response to the WTC attacks". Or, maybe not. We don't know.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2001, 03:36 AM

<STRONG>In my opinion, this guy is worse than those terrorists who hijacked the plane (suicide terrorists do this out of faith, not malice).</STRONG>
When it comes to murder, comparisons become meaningless. I wouldn't want to say the Sikh person's life is worth more or less than those who died Tuesday. I do hope whoever killed him is brought to justice and put away for a long time.

Also, I think the terrorists were acting largely out of malice -- toward the United States. Just because they yelled "Allahu akbar!" (sorry if I got it wrong; I don't know Arabic) as the plane slammed into the tower doesn't make it an act of "faith" -- even if that's what they deluded themselves into believing.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2001, 08:33 AM

I don't know what to say.

It's sad; when tragedies like the WTC happen, it really brings out the best and the worst in America. And while the best is really darn good -the likes of which I've never seen elsewhere- the worst is equally bad, and again just as unique.

But that may just be US-centrism creeping in again, I suppose...
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 17, 2001, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by CaseCom:
<STRONG>The TV networks ran nonstop coverage of this thing for days with no ads. They lost tens of millions of dollars doing that. </STRONG>
Actually, they are losing hundreds of millions, not tens! Seethis news from the AOL news ticker for more...

tooki

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2001, 11:20 AM

I'm not a prosecutor, but if I was, I would look into whether it's possible to charge someone who is looting or ripping victims families off after something like this as an accessory after the fact. Throw the book at them.

As for these stupid people spitting on, verbally abusing, physically attacking and killing people who look like middle easterners, in a time of war, attacking another U.S. citizen could be cosidered an act of treason, couldn't it? And if they aren't a citizen, but a non-citizen immigrant, throw the book at the racist bastards anyway.

Racism, terrorism - "I don't believe in isms, an ism in my opinion, is not good. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me." And he should know, after all, he was the walrus. I could be the walrus - still doesn't change the fact that I don't own a car." - Ferris B.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

vega24
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2001, 12:28 PM

In my opinion, this guy is worse than those terrorists who hijacked the plane (suicide terrorists do this out of faith, not malice).
A suicide bombers' faith is put above the value of human life. Their hate for Americans and western values is their faith and they slammed those planes into the Pentagon and WTC because their minds were consumed with malice. Faith and malice are one in the same when dealing with people like that.

A fair and balanced news channel should report BOTHthe attacks on muslims and muslim "looking" people here in America ANDthe cheering and celebrating being done by some muslim and muslim "looking" people here in America and around the world. Now, those are the people that are worse than the suicide bombers because they were still alive to rub it in the face of America and the rest of the world, which is what they did.

My god. How bad can this get?
Just think if another attack is made against the US or it's allies.

nana2
Senior User
Sep 17, 2001, 11:50 PM

When the next attack is a nuke in the back of a truck, it will be much, much worse.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2001, 01:22 PM

Update:

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/18/national/18ISLA.html

(free registration required)

A continuing wave of attacks yesterday on Muslims, Sikhs and others who appear to be Middle Eastern brought condemnation from President Bush and murder charges against an Arizona man accused in a weekend shooting that has been deemed a hate killing.

In Mesa, Ariz., the authorities say the man shot and killed the Sikh owner of a Chevron station on Saturday afternoon, then 20 minutes later, fired on the Lebanese clerk at a Mobil station and proceeded to shoot into the home of an Afghan family.

The man, Frank S. Roque, was charged on Sunday with the killing of Balbir Singh Sodhi, the Sikh, and with two counts of attempted homicide and three counts of drive-by shooting. The Maricopa County attorney, Richard Romley, said additional civil rights charges were being considered.

"Mr. Sodhi was killed for no other apparent reason than that he was dark-skinned and wore a turban," Mr. Romley said.

chingwei
Sep 18, 2001, 02:08 PM

<STRONG>
</STRONG>
In my opinion, when it came down to it, the hijackers/murderers did it out of malice, not faith. At the human level, when you are about to kill someone, take away someone's life, it doesn't matter whether it is for some faith-based "mission", malice is what makes you do it. Just in my humble opinion.

Originally posted by vega24:
<STRONG>
A fair and balanced news channel should report BOTHthe attacks on muslims and muslim "looking" people here in America ANDthe cheering and celebrating being done by some muslim and muslim "looking" people here in America and around the world.
</STRONG>
An even fairer news channel would include the reports you've mentioned above, as well as report the attacks on non-muslim/muslim "looking" people here in America and the world, and the cheering and celebration being done by some non-muslim/muslim "looking" people here in America and around the world, AND the mourning, crying, and condemnation of the attacks by muslims, muslim "looking", non-muslims, and non-muslim "looking" people in America and indeed Around The World, Even in the Middle East, even in Afghanistan. Agree?

-Ching-Wei

Forum Links
Forum Rules