Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook recommendations? From your friendly admin 'lax

PowerBook recommendations? From your friendly admin 'lax
parallax
Admin Emeritus
Dec 6, 2003, 05:43 PM

Hey y'all, this is gonna be my first laptop purchase /ever/.

People seem to be having some problems with the 15" PB (I'm looking at the SuperDrive one), so what do you guys recommend? Wait till MacWorld and purchase one? Is there a time Apple says this stuff'll be fixed? Is it too minor to worry about? Any other stuff a first-time laptop buyer might wanna know?

Many thanks in advance,

- 'lax
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2003, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by parallax:
Hey y'all, this is gonna be my first laptop purchase /ever/.

People seem to be having some problems with the 15" PB (I'm looking at the SuperDrive one), so what do you guys recommend? Wait till MacWorld and purchase one? Is there a time Apple says this stuff'll be fixed? Is it too minor to worry about? Any other stuff a first-time laptop buyer might wanna know?

Many thanks in advance,

- 'lax

My advice is to look for a bargain used machine .... I always like to stay at least 1 step back from the bleeding edge of technology!

Let the others pay full retail and work the bugs out!

DrDre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2003, 06:11 PM

I'm in the market for a new PB also. I'm planning to wait at least until after MWSF to see if something new comes along.

I'm looking at the 12" PB model, and I hope that it will be speed bumped and perhaps add FW800, etc come MacWorld. The specs on the 12" model are just too close to the 12" iBook for it to be currently competitive. I've got to believe Apple will update it soon.

As for the 15" model, I bet it will be updated as well...perhaps with a 128 MB graphics card and a speed bump.

Our university Apple reseller is having a deal "while supplies last" for the Al-15 inch model with Superdrive for $2100. Makes me think they are trying to clear inventory for something new come MWSF.

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2003, 06:24 PM

I have the aluminum 15'' combo drive and i haven't had any of the white spot or latch issues reported. I love the machine, and am infinitely happy with it.

hldan
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2003, 07:18 PM

Not trying to slow down Apple's sales but it really would be wise to not buy anything now. Macworld is exactly one month away from today and it's Apple's 20th anniversary of the Macintosh so it's a sure thing that they will come out with something really special in honor of the occassion so if you don't want to be one of the people like last year who bought the 1Ghz Tibook in December and got upset in January when the ALbooks with light up keyboards were announced then you should wait. More than likely it will be worth the wait.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2003, 07:53 PM

I'd really wait if you can at least until Macworld in January.

However, you can get a 17" Powerbook 1.3 ghz G4 on Amazon for a very good price (under 2900 with free shipping), plus a free iSight webcam!

So..I have one ordered, and it will arrive on Wednesday next week.

I had to have it though for work reasons (I had to have a large screen and a DVD burner for a movie project I'm doing)..so I could not wait any longer.

I think by late January hopefully Apple will have the white spot problem fixed on the 15" models. (I would have purchased a 15" myself, but got spooked on that model by all the screen problems people are having).

Another thing..if you wait you'll have a better chance of the laptop shipping with Panther preinstalled. I understand that most resellers are still shipping Powerbooks with Jaguar.

krux`
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2003, 10:21 PM

My advice is, dont wait for anything at all, you buy what you want whenever! I just got this Powerbook and WOW am i amazed at the level apple is at.. the pictures are posted in my sig check that out! i Will say to you, that even if a new one comes out, i have put my money in the right place, a place that will pay off later!
( Last edited by krux`; Dec 6, 2003 at 10:40 PM. )
15"AluPB1.5GHz1GBR80GBhdbcklitkeyboard 10.4.8
email: [email protected] iChat: [email protected]
http://www.davidgclark.com/

Religion is for those who have never had a spiritual experience.

Tek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2003, 11:18 PM

isn't it also feesible that new stuff will be announced at macworld but not sold for another 2 months or so...?

May God Be With You.
-Matt

krux`
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2003, 04:09 AM

Yes Tek your correct, you said you were looking for a powerbook now, then get the current one forget the new one! i ordered mine a while ago, and though it shipped 7 days early with 3 instead of 7 (7 was free though!) it took about 1 1/2 month after i ordered it! so be prepared for a Huge delay on new ones, If the new ones even come out.. This powerbook is an ideal machine like i said, a faster one isnt even needed for what i do and i do some intensive stuff! get the current one and you Will be happy, theres no way your going to win the tide of technology, its always against you no matter what.
15"AluPB1.5GHz1GBR80GBhdbcklitkeyboard 10.4.8
email: [email protected] iChat: [email protected]
http://www.davidgclark.com/

Religion is for those who have never had a spiritual experience.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 11:11 AM

UPDATE on Amazon and the 17"..they have a 1 ghz brand new powerbook with free iSight for just 2,599.00.

No tax, No shipping charges. You have to include the iSight with your order and its free.

What a deal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules