Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Not able to download Meteo 1.2.8

Not able to download Meteo 1.2.8
Jerommeke
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 01:52 AM

Hey pplz,

I am using Meteorologist and now every time it loads it indicates there is a new version. However, when I try to download it, it says the connection was reset, and it is saying this like for several weeks.

Does anyone know what the problem is?
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Wevah
Senior User
May 20, 2003, 02:39 AM

Have you tried going to http://sourceforge.net/projects/heat-meteo/ and downloading it manually?
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 06:23 AM

How do you mean 'manually'?

I went to the sourceforge poage and when it tries to download http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/h...8.dmg?download t says connection reset all the time in safari or downloads a 1 byte 'GIF' in Camino.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2003, 06:59 AM

we don't have time to stop for gas

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 07:21 AM

Thanx, that one worked for me

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2003, 10:56 AM

Wow, I haven't used this app in a few months. Coming along VERY nicely. I like it a lot

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2003, 12:47 PM

yeah its lovely, but it keeps quitting on me, or rather the menu item keeps disappearing

jjs357
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2003, 02:36 PM

I am using weather.com for 3 cities.

Since yesterday, meteo (1.2.8) is quitting unexpectedly. I suspect something in the weather.com data is not what meteo expects.

This happens periodically.

Jim

JellyBeen
Senior User
May 20, 2003, 02:47 PM

Has anyone experienced the app disapearing in the menu bar in 10.2.6?
Just wondering since I have been using it for months now and it never did that.
Thanks.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2003, 02:58 PM

I've got 10.2.6 and version 1.2.8 of meteo and it has been disappearing from the menu bar on me as well.
It had also started doing this with build 1.2.6 but it never occured till i upgraded to OS 10.2.6.
So do we feed this back to meteo or Apple?
KRO
Ali P

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2003, 03:00 PM

I think it is an error with Meteo, anyone know who creates this app?

tikki
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 03:22 PM

The last few builds haven't been updating the menu bar icon for me. I blame 10.2.6. It is the root of all evils.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by tikki:
The last few builds haven't been updating the menu bar icon for me. I blame 10.2.6. It is the root of all evils.
Seems a common problem, doesn't the creator have a MacNN username?

tikki
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
Seems a common problem, doesn't the creator have a MacNN username?
its an open source forge project now. He didn't have time to continue development I believe.

Ghoser777

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

malvolio
Professional Poster
May 20, 2003, 05:21 PM

Yeah, it's been handed off to the folks at sourceforge.
And I too am seeing (or rather, not seeing) Meteo fail to appear in my menubar. OS X 10.2.6 and Meteo 1.2.8.
Note that it does not quit, though. The Meteo process is still running.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 06:09 PM

Yeah, 1.2.8 is nothing but trouble on OS X 10.2.6. It disappears all the time, shows a refreshing icon all the time from time to time, etcetera etcetera.

I'm wondering what the developer is doing, I saw he graduated, so he should be partying by now, for which weather is of great significance

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2003, 06:11 PM

Are there any other alternatives to Meteo?

macmike42
Senior User
May 20, 2003, 07:55 PM

LOL. How about the program that Meteorologist was originally designed as a substitute for when it stopped working for a couple of days? There is a freeware and a shareware version. BTW, Meteo never so much as hiccuped when I updated to 10.2.6.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Wevah
Senior User
May 20, 2003, 09:20 PM

It's been turned into a Sourceforge project, which means that you can grab the source and (try to) fix it yourself...

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
May 20, 2003, 11:03 PM

Although Meteo has been sourceforged, I am still currently the only developer. With graduation Sunday, interviews Monday, funeral Tuesday, more interviews Wednesday... you can see what my life is like.

Yes, there are problems with 1.2.8 - I haven't figured out where the problem is, mainly because I've changed a lot of low level stuff in preparation for moving most of the processing code to an xml format that anyone can change. The city search mechanism is done, but not the weather data part. I was also trying to figure out where to access NWS weather feeds.

So, 1.2.9 is a tentative weekend project. The code is getting messy enough that it might be time to start (mostly) from scratch and rebuild it ground up based around xml and with a cleaner preference system.

So much to do... so little time...

Matt Fahrenbacher

fortepianissimo
Senior User
May 20, 2003, 11:11 PM

Hey Matt take your time, go on with your life first - we can wait...

puddle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2003, 11:33 PM

I thought I was going crazy. I'd look up to see the temperature and it wasn't there. No warning or anything, it just disappeared.

Anyway, I'm kind of glad it's not just me. But that means there isn't a quick, easy fix.
Chris
First Mac - 12" Powerbook, 15GB iPod

Thinine
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 11:40 PM

No sooner had I read that last post, looked up and the weather was gone. Damn it. Post the code! Or at least let a few other people help you. I thought the point of going opensource was so you wouldn't have to do as much work.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
May 21, 2003, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by Thinine:
No sooner had I read that last post, looked up and the weather was gone. Damn it. Post the code! Or at least let a few other people help you. I thought the point of going opensource was so you wouldn't have to do as much work.
well i think what he's trying to say is he wanted to clean things up a bit so others can more effectively involve in the project...

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
May 21, 2003, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by fortepianissimo:
well i think what he's trying to say is he wanted to clean things up a bit so others can more effectively involve in the project...
That, and the fact that I'm having problems integrating cvs with Project Builder... I think there's something I'm forgetting to set up because I continuously get permission denied errors.

Even though the source for 1.2.6 is up (which is remarkable similiar to 1.2.8), I haven't recieved a lot of emails from people on how to do x to make y go away. So at this point, I'm just going to work on the xmlization by myself and keep researching cvs + pb integration in my spare time.

Matt Fahrenbacher

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2003, 11:31 PM

Matt:

Any idea as to why the weather icon will stick with the "Updating" one until the menu bar is clicked alot of times with 1.2.8?

Thanks.

P.S. Congrats on graduating...best of luck on your interviews!

superfula
Senior User
May 22, 2003, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Matt:

Any idea as to why the weather icon will stick with the "Updating" one until the menu bar is clicked alot of times with 1.2.8?

Thanks.

P.S. Congrats on graduating...best of luck on your interviews!
Same problem here. Meteo menu disappears on me as well, but I use Wunderground as my source, so it's not a weather.com problem...at least not entirely.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2003, 02:25 AM

Me three. Same problem, the weather icon doesn't appear until I click on the update icon. Great little app though, apart from that.

Wevah
Senior User
May 22, 2003, 03:18 AM

Thanks for the info, Matt...best of luck to you with...well, with whatver.

Thanks for Meteo!

AfterTen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2003, 11:14 AM

[horn toot]WeatherManX Extras [/horn toot]
Dean Davis
http://www.afterten.com

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2003, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by AfterTen:
does that support weather.com
(UK person)

torifile
Mac Elite
May 22, 2003, 08:42 PM

Not bad. Is there anyway you could move the detailed info and extended forecast to a submenu?

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2003, 09:22 PM

Hmm, it keeps disappearing on me as well. And saying No Weather when I have Show City selected. Odd.

torifile
Mac Elite
May 23, 2003, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by Andrew 8808:
Hmm, it keeps disappearing on me as well. And saying No Weather when I have Show City selected. Odd.
Yeah, I've given up on Meteo, unfortunately. It's served us well for a long time, but with something changing someplace and it not really being actively developed at this time, I think we're going to have to find alternatives.

fireside
Professional Poster
May 23, 2003, 12:39 AM

meteo has been giving me problems lately, so i just switched to the free version of weatherpop. even though it doent have the nice features of Meteo, it works. :/

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
May 24, 2003, 11:56 AM

WeatherMax X is a really nice program - it's probably a good idea to keep all three around so that when one breaks, you always have a backup.

1.2.9 is out now, so I'm hoping this fixes most of the crashes people where having.

CVS is still pissing me off though. I can do one commit, and then I get errors about not having a working copy and that I need to do a new import...?!

Matt Fahrenbacher

malvolio
Professional Poster
May 24, 2003, 12:26 PM

Meteo 1.2.9 is working beautifully. Thanks, Matt!
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
May 24, 2003, 05:15 PM

I downloaded 1.2.9 on my parents' Tower, and it chokes when trying to download the weather icons.

Should I just trash the prefs file and try again, or is there a problem with the server?

fireside
Professional Poster
May 24, 2003, 05:50 PM

yay its working! hopefully it wont suddenly quit at random times.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
May 24, 2003, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
I downloaded 1.2.9 on my parents' Tower, and it chokes when trying to download the weather icons.

Should I just trash the prefs file and try again, or is there a problem with the server?
I'd try downloading the icons manually from sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/heat-meteo

and install them in either /Library/Application Support/Meteo or ~/Library/Application Support/Meteo.

I'm not sure why it would be chocking otherwise. Does anything get printed to the console log (/Applications/Console.app)?

Hope this helps,
Matt Fahrenbacher

torifile
Mac Elite
May 24, 2003, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
WeatherMax X is a really nice program - it's probably a good idea to keep all three around so that when one breaks, you always have a backup.

1.2.9 is out now, so I'm hoping this fixes most of the crashes people where having.

CVS is still pissing me off though. I can do one commit, and then I get errors about not having a working copy and that I need to do a new import...?!

Matt Fahrenbacher
Matt, thanks for this great applicaiton. I was able to make a switch to weatherpop, but I didn't like the interface. You've got it right. Now, how can the Mac community entice you to keep working on this great utility? I'd even *gasp* pay for it to keep working. Seriously. It's the best weather application out there. I'd hate for us to lose it.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
May 25, 2003, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by torifile:
Matt, thanks for this great applicaiton. I was able to make a switch to weatherpop, but I didn't like the interface. You've got it right. Now, how can the Mac community entice you to keep working on this great utility? I'd even *gasp* pay for it to keep working. Seriously. It's the best weather application out there. I'd hate for us to lose it.
A cable modem wouldn't hurt

Right now the best thing that can happen is for me to finish (and, well start) writing 1.3 (or 2.0, whatever I call it) where everything in site is xml-ized. Then fixes and updates can be done on a server somewhere and you won't have to always download new versions when a weather source makes some random change. That's the ultimate goal. To get there, I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Matt Fahrenbacher

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
May 25, 2003, 12:36 AM

I'd try downloading the icons manually from sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/heat-meteo

and install them in either /Library/Application Support/Meteo or ~/Library/Application Support/Meteo.

I'm not sure why it would be chocking otherwise. Does anything get printed to the console log (/Applications/Console.app)?

Hope this helps,
Matt Fahrenbacher
I downloaded them manually, but I still got the alert on startup. It seems that every time it tries to download the icons it gets hung up while downloading, ironically, the 'loading" tiffs.

There seems to be a problem downloading Menu Bar Icons/Loading-4.tiff. Make sure that your internet connection is active and that the folder /Library/Application Support/Meteo is writable. Would you like to try downloading again?
That is the message I get after it hangs for about a minute. However, it always says the error is for the next tiff it's trying to get: this one says Loading-4 when it was actually trying to download Loading-3. Earlier it said Loading-7 when it was stuck on Loading 6, etc.

Those are the patterns in the problem. Is there a direct link to download the icon set that includes the Loading graphics?

Thanks,
Chris

AfterTen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2003, 10:57 AM

Matt Fahrenbacher

Thanks Matt.
I run all three weather menubar apps all the time also.
It's fun supporting all these changes to the data source. Fun "business" we're in, isn't it?

As to the other questions in previous posts, WMX supports weather.com for US and Non-US cities and NWS for US Cities.

And it would be possible to offer an option to move information to submenus. I'll add it to my feature request list.

Now back to your regular Meteo programming.
Dean Davis

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2003, 01:33 PM

I run all three weather menubar apps all the time also.
Why would you want to run all three weather menubar apps at same time?

AfterTen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2003, 03:09 PM

Basically for monitoring the "competition". See if they are all getting the same data at the same time. See if one breaks down before the others.
If one of my users reports a problem city I like to see if the other programs are haveing a similar problem.
As you see this week all currently supported weather programs needed an update to deal with changes at weather.com
Dean Davis

Forum Links
Forum Rules