Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Power Mac G5 Commercial on ESPNEWS!

Power Mac G5 Commercial on ESPNEWS! (Page 2)
tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2003, 01:11 PM

Check this out.

If you click on the link above and load the commercial, watch carefully. In the opening scene, on the left hand edge of the picture halfway between the branch and the bottom of the picture, you can just see the mechanism that pulls the dummy from right to left. Just after it actuates, the dummy comes flying through the picture.

RGB
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 01:12 PM

I'm not impressed.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2003, 01:13 PM

Another TV ad that focuses on the hardware and not the OS... I just don't get it...

When are they going to showcase the OS (most people know about Unix so they could spin that) They also never talk about all of the cool applications that come with the mac.

Why aren't they also showing off the iPod with all of these items. MANY people know what the iPod is, but don't have a clue as to what Apple Computer is.

I like the ad, but I think they need to focus on the software more.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jul 16, 2003, 01:32 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 15, 2004 at 05:42 PM. )

things
Jul 16, 2003, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by JLFanboy:
I kinda like the ad. But, yeah, it could be cut a lot better. I think the initial shot should be more violent. We should have a wide shot of the house so we can see him being thrown through the wall.

Anyway, I posted this in another thread, and I still think it would make a damn fine commercial:
uh... no it would'nt.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2003, 02:04 PM

Do people type "uh..." because they're actually thinking as they type? Adds that extra unnecessary level of superiority or sarcasm, I guess. Uh ... I guess. Yeah, that's it.

Man, the commercial is cool. Every single commercial that Apple puts out, there's always the "man, Apple needs a new ad agency <insert rolleyes>" people. The commercial was perfect, quick, and to the point. Power Mac G5: most powerful and fastest personal computer; it's going to blow you away. The end. I would've gone with Jeff Bridges, though, for the voice, definitely. Even if I couldn't stop thinking of the dude. "The Power Mac G5 ... man. <puffing sound> The Dude abides, man." Yeeeeaaah.

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2003, 02:09 PM

uh... no it would'nt.
uh...thanks for the input. I'll log that away.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2003, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Do people type "uh..." because they're actually thinking as they type? Adds that extra unnecessary level of superiority or sarcasm, I guess. Uh ... I guess. Yeah, that's it.
hehe

When I go "hmmm, I don't know" or something like that, I really am thinking, or expressing my emotions, and manner of speaking in a more personal or more human conversational way.

Though with the "Uhh..." they are just being an ass . Its just like saying "Like, duh, idiot".

Cool commercial, but on the part of it being hardware based vs software, I agree, though I think they have the right to do the hardware aspect in this area. The G5 is supa fast now, its a real big deal. But yes, Apple needs some OS X commercials

-Owl

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 17, 2003, 07:59 PM

So where is that d@mn ad? I want to see it.

Who's got a mirror? All the original links are down.

EDIT: Doh! Never mind. Now at Apple.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Jul 17, 2003 at 08:09 PM. )

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2003, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
Agreed. But my choice of voice talent would be somebody like:

James Earl Jones
You want Darth Vader to be the Voice of Apple? More appropriate for Microsoft, IMHO.

John Corbett (aka 'Chris in the Morning') has a folksy/regular guy/drinking buddy voice that I think would work for a computer for the rest of us..

Voices to avoid: Estelle Harris, Joey Lauren Adams, Gilbert Gottfried or Bobcat Goldthwait. And Keanu Reeves ( "Apple's G5. Whoa!" People would think Apple was ripping off the Dell Dude).

This ad is amusing, but it hardly will persuade users to switch. I think a far more effective commercial would have been a side-by-side shot of the G5 running an automated Photoshop task next to a Xeon system, as in the WWDC presentation. It's a great "show, don't tell" demonstration of that fact that the G5 systems are rockets.

Alternately, for humor a great ad would feature an outraged John Cleese complaining about his Windows computer to Michael Palin, who sold it to hm.

Forum Links
Forum Rules