Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > SMB Shares on 10.3

SMB Shares on 10.3
Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2003, 02:47 PM

Hello ppl,

I am on a university network, and somewhere else on it, there is a machine which uses Unix to host some files I need to get access too.

However, when I try to connect, and enter my username and password (required) then I get the following sentence:

mount_smbfs: tree connect phase failed: syserr = Permission denied

Strange thing is that my IP is not ever found once in the log files though I tried this many times. It seems to have to do with my computer.

Other Samba shares, which are without log-in/password mount fine.

Anyone having an idea how to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

pat++
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2003, 04:13 PM

I would try and see in Directory Access (in /Applications/Utilities) if the workgroup matches the definition on the server. Not sure if this can cause a permission problem... do you manage to mount this smb drive on a PC?

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2003, 04:29 PM

See the sticky networking thread up top. But yeah, SMB is broken for some shares. Including our NT server at my work. Worked just fine in Jaguar, but I get the same error as you in panther. According to our IP guy, Apple acknowleged the issue, and has promised a fix.

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 12:56 PM

The guy who manages the server said workgroup shouldn't cause any problems.

I guess I have to wait ...
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules