Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Where can I buy screws for MBP?

Where can I buy screws for MBP?
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2007, 02:40 PM

I just upgraded the hard drive on my MBP. Unfortunately I misplaced a couple screws. One is the small screw that goes on the back of the computer near the hatch and the other is one of the torx style screws that is on the rubber pieces on the hard drive itself.
Where can I get replacement screws for this? I'd like if it I could simply get a assorted collection of these small screws, phillips and torx style and screws for 2.5" hard drives.

williedog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 09:48 AM

I upgraded last night -

thought I had lost a couple of the screws, but then noticed that the power magnet had attracted them into one of the connector slots on the left side of the machine -

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2007, 09:43 AM

I truely doubt you can get replacement screws. mbps are not a standard manufacture where any company can make parts for it. You may have to find a local service provider and quizz them.

Im guessing that apple may void your warranty if you tell them what you have been doing.

I would try real hard and find the screws you have lost. They cant be too far from the area you worked?

goodluck

rob

bighill
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2007, 10:21 AM

check with a place that repairs Macs. for instance, here in NYC, i would check with
tekserve.
my macs: quicksilver dual 800 g4, 1.24 gig ram, 500 gig hd, 20 + 17 inch displays
(first mac i've ever owned, bought brand new)
2.16 core 2 duo macbook pro, 2.0 gig ram, 120 gig hd

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
I just upgraded the hard drive on my MBP. Unfortunately I misplaced a couple screws. One is the small screw that goes on the back of the computer near the hatch and the other is one of the torx style screws that is on the rubber pieces on the hard drive itself.
Where can I get replacement screws for this? I'd like if it I could simply get a assorted collection of these small screws, phillips and torx style and screws for 2.5" hard drives.
I hope your MacBook Pro wasn't still under warranty, because if it was, it won't be once Apple finds out. If it was still under warranty, better hope you can find replacement screws that look exactly like the ones you removed, and make sure there are no scratches around the screw holes either, because those are tell-tale signs it has been opened.

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
I hope your MacBook Pro wasn't still under warranty, because if it was, it won't be once Apple finds out. If it was still under warranty, better hope you can find replacement screws that look exactly like the ones you removed, and make sure there are no scratches around the screw holes either, because those are tell-tale signs it has been opened.
I think some of you guys are freaking out to much about this HD upgrade.
My computer was sent for a repair several times, and I have upgraded both the super drive and the HD.
there were scratches on the screws, and I even lost one.
Plus, they cannot deny you warranty as long as you did not break anything.
Apple will claim that your warranty was void, but if push comes to shove, you can fight this easily.

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2007, 01:06 AM

if you want to try to look for the lost screws take a big magnet over the area your worked in, (without the mbp around)

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by MrNo View Post
I think some of you guys are freaking out to much about this HD upgrade.
No, we are not freaking out to* [sic] much. The hard drive is not a user replaceable part on the MacBook Pro, and it can void the warranty IF Apple finds out. Most people are not aware of that, so we point it out to them.

Oh, and the OP lost some screws. Unless he finds replacement screws that are exactly like the ones Apple uses, then is warranty will most definitely be void.

That way they don't come back and claim Apple is being unfair.

Better to be safe than sorry, and not replace your hard drive yourself, unless your laptop is no longer under warranty.

* it's "too much" not "to much"

Photios
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2007, 01:03 PM

Ifixit.com sells a screw assembly kit for powerbooks. The powerbook and the macbook pro are pretty much identical. I purchsed screws from them a couple of years ago, when I had my first generation Powerbook 17". I unfortunately used the wrong screwdriver on the external screws, and messed one up pretty bad. I purchased a screw kit from ifixit, and everything was good as new. You didn't mention whether your macbook was 15" or 17". I would guess that the powerbook screws would work just fine. The kit does not include the hard drive screws, though. I definitely don't have a hard drive screw, but I might have the other screw you need. From your description, I'm still not sure which screw you are missing from the exterior.

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2007, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
Search, Apple Mac and iPod Accessories

Search, Apple Mac and iPod Accessories

Ouch. It is going to cost you. Next time have a small container to put the screws in. If the url is not showing what you want, put "screws" in the search area and you will find what you need.
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2007, 09:26 PM

076-1222 17" MacBook Pro Hard Drive Screws and Grommets, Apple Mac and iPod Accessories

This one will help better. Other screw can be found at this site.

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
No, we are not freaking out to* [sic] much. The hard drive is not a user replaceable part on the MacBook Pro, and it can void the warranty IF Apple finds out. Most people are not aware of that, so we point it out to them.

Oh, and the OP lost some screws. Unless he finds replacement screws that are exactly like the ones Apple uses, then is warranty will most definitely be void.

That way they don't come back and claim Apple is being unfair.

Better to be safe than sorry, and not replace your hard drive yourself, unless your laptop is no longer under warranty.

* it's "too much" not "to much"
Apple HD replacement will cost you 2x as much as DIY plus the down time. I have opened PB from G3 Pismo, PB 15"& 17" 1.67 DL, recently the 15" 2.16 MBP and 17" 2.44. They are all very intuitive to get into.Make sure you have the proper tools. There are also instrution out there. When you really need Apple Care you can always put the old drive back
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

PartialPants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2007, 12:53 AM

You might try going to your nearest Apple Store. I know that shows you voided your warranty and such but catch one of those guys in a great mood sometimes and they give you free replacement stuff.

I took my MBP and my wife's old iBook in and they replaced her non Apple Care'd way way way out of warranty iBook's keyboard (she had worn off several letters) with one in the back he had for free.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2007, 05:18 PM

The screws in the back of the MBP are not the same length as any from the PowerBook. Apple certified service centres can get these screws. Wether you can get them to sell them to you is another matter. Don't give them your serial number.
The hex screws in the drive I think are the same as the ones from the iBooks. Any Mac repair centre should have those.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2007, 05:46 PM

Scratch that last bit. Maybe.
The HD mounting screws in the MBPs are different to those in iBooks. But I suspect the iBook ones would work OK.

Forum Links
Forum Rules