Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Dial number via Address Book to Cell Phone

Dial number via Address Book to Cell Phone
mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2007, 01:43 PM

THis kind of spans applications/OSX and I guess hardware... but this seemed like the best place to me. Admins, please move if necessary.

Okay, what I have is:
- Sony Ericsson w810i
- Sallings Clicker
- my Address Book in OS X.

I noticed this option when you click on a phone number in Address Book:

What I want to happen is, if I click dial with "microWhoDisBe" (the name of my cell phone), I want the cell phone to start dialing for me without me having to scroll through the address book for the phone number on my cell phone.

The reason is, pure laziness. If I leave my cell in the bedroom, and I'm in my home office, I just want to dial out, and start talking on my BT headset. Basically, the option is there, I want to use it.

Anyone know how I can go about doing this?
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

mpancha  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2007, 01:44 PM

adding on to this one... I wouldn't mind being able to send an SMS message as well without having to type out a message using T9 on the cell phone. I know there are freeware apps/widgets that can do it... but again, the option is available right in Address Book, I'd love to just use that.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2007, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by mpancha View Post
THis kind of spans applications/OSX and I guess hardware... but this seemed like the best place to me. Admins, please move if necessary.

Okay, what I have is:
- Sony Ericsson w810i
- Sallings Clicker
- my Address Book in OS X.

I noticed this option when you click on a phone number in Address Book:

What I want to happen is, if I click dial with "microWhoDisBe" (the name of my cell phone), I want the cell phone to start dialing for me without me having to scroll through the address book for the phone number on my cell phone.

The reason is, pure laziness. If I leave my cell in the bedroom, and I'm in my home office, I just want to dial out, and start talking on my BT headset. Basically, the option is there, I want to use it.

Anyone know how I can go about doing this?
Pair your phone with your Mac via bluetooth. Then click the little bluetooth icon in Address Book's button bar. If your phone is supported, it'll activate the dial and SMS functions on Address Book. Worked with my old SonyEricsson and my Razor. Doesn't work with the iPhone, surprisingly.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Doesn't work with the iPhone, surprisingly.
What does?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2007, 03:55 PM

Pair your phone with your Mac via bluetooth. Then click the little bluetooth icon in Address Book's button bar. If your phone is supported, it'll activate the dial and SMS functions on Address Book. Worked with my old SonyEricsson and my Razor. Doesn't work with the iPhone, surprisingly.
No surprise there; BlueTooth on the iPhone is crippled to nothing-but-a-basic-headset. No A2DP, no ObEx, nothin.

mpancha  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2007, 02:14 PM

CharlesS >> I paired, and hit the button in Address book, the BT icon activated, my phone's BT icon shows that there's a connection... but when I try dialing and SMSing, nothing actually happens on the phone.

At least I've got the first step, will keep cracking at this one.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2007, 04:40 PM

Looks like you phone just isnt supported!!! My nokia n73 doesnt work but my girlfriends nokia 6300 works!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

mpancha  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2007, 05:40 PM

richwig83 >> that sucks. Oh well, can't have it all I guess.

off topic, do you like your Viewsonic 22"? I'm debating between a dell 22" and Viewsonic, but have never come across 2 side by side to compare.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2007, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
No surprise there; BlueTooth on the iPhone is crippled to nothing-but-a-basic-headset. No A2DP, no ObEx, nothin.
Not completely true. The bluetooth communications in my BMW works just fine with my iPhone - handsfree audio, I can browse the contacts list, dial from the contacts list or dial a manually inputted number. All the same features I had with a Motorola Razor.

mpancha  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2007, 10:35 AM

Not completely true. The bluetooth communications in my BMW works just fine with my iPhone - handsfree audio, I can browse the contacts list, dial from the contacts list or dial a manually inputted number. All the same features I had with a Motorola Razor.
THe BMW part probably works fine, as I'm guessing a few other automobile partners Apple has.

But overall, its pretty crippled. It seems like Apple only allowed select companies to work, but only as they see fit.

The fact that the BT address book link in Apple's own software not working ... that's pretty sad.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2007, 02:09 PM

THe BMW part probably works fine, as I'm guessing a few other automobile partners Apple has.

But overall, its pretty crippled. It seems like Apple only allowed select companies to work, but only as they see fit.

The fact that the BT address book link in Apple's own software not working ... that's pretty sad.
I've heard that iSync doesn't even work with the iPhone. Is that true?

Basically, Apple originally wanted to release the iPhone on Verizon, and it shows.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
I've heard that iSync doesn't even work with the iPhone.
Errr... what would iSync do for you that isn't integrated into iTunes for iPhone syncing?

And my BMW is 18 months older than the iPhone, so I don't think BMW was planning ahead for the iPhone.

mpancha  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 16, 2007, 09:41 AM

Nope, it doesn't work on iSync... it has to go through iTunes... which IMO is just odd.

Cadaver >> yea, iTunes handles the sync... but why? If all of our other cell phones go through iSync, why shouldn't the iPhone from Apple go through their own Syncing software? If its b/c of the content in iTunes then :
1) it should be called an iPod that makes calls (going with Steve's insistence that a Video iPod is actually an iPod that plays Video)
2) Many other applications (everything in the iLife suite) can interact with iTunes and iPhoto pulling in media. There's no reason they can't update iSync to do that, and just have you use iSync to Sync your iPhone.

At this point, either they need to rename iTunes to something more fitting, or ... use their Syncing software to Sync.

Logically, that makes the most sense to me.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2007, 01:54 PM

Errr... what would iSync do for you that isn't integrated into iTunes for iPhone syncing?
Syncing all your devices with one click instead of syncing one in one place, and all the rest somewhere else?

Syncing your phone from the iSync menu extra?

Being able to sync quickly by using an app that launches more quickly and takes less screen real estate than the increasingly bloated iTunes?

Syncing over Bluetooth? (the iPhone can only be synced via USB, according to this)

Intuitiveness? (how is anyone supposed to figure out that you would sync a phone's address book in iTunes, for heaven's sake?)
( Last edited by CharlesS; Aug 16, 2007 at 02:01 PM. )

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2007, 03:01 PM

CharlesS >> I paired, and hit the button in Address book, the BT icon activated, my phone's BT icon shows that there's a connection... but when I try dialing and SMSing, nothing actually happens on the phone.

At least I've got the first step, will keep cracking at this one.
I don't know about the dialling part because I've never tried it, but sending SMSs - you don't get any feedback from your phone that it has happened and the message is not saved to the Sent folder on the phone either. However, it does work.. you just have to trust it (and is very nice to use - not only is it easier to type something, but it also gives you a character count down as well). I would try again with a test message to someone you know will tell you if they received it or not.

Also, you can add support for the W810i very easily if it isn't already present. macosxhints.com - 10.4: Add Address Book support for SonyEricsson K750i (read the whole thread).
( Last edited by JKT; Aug 16, 2007 at 03:09 PM. )

mpancha  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2007, 11:55 AM

JKT >> the osx hints link worked like a charm. I can't believe I didn't check their myself considering I never go a day without checking for new updates there.

I ended up buying the Address Book Enabler from mobile.feisar.com. Simply b/c I didn't want to bother with redoing the AB plist changes whenever I format, or AB gets updated. It was only $3, so I skip a trip to the coffee shop, and I break even.

Thanks again!

Forum Links
Forum Rules