Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Upgrading a 600/CD

Upgrading a 600/CD
mark9939
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2002, 08:54 PM

Hello, I've never done any work in laptops, let-alone an iBook, so please bare with me here.. ;-)

I dont exactly have enough $$$ to buy mysels one of those new iBooks or Ti's on the 6th. So, I thought I'd do the next best thing... upgrade!

Now for the questions...

1) What kind/size of HD do I have to use? I'd like to put in a 60 GB.

2) Is there any way to upgrade the 128MB soldiered RAM on the motherboard?

3) I have a CD drive and I'd like to make it a combo... how do I do that?

Thanks in advance!
-Matt
MBP 1.83 GHz CD/iPod 30GB

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2002, 09:06 PM

1) Upgrading the built in hard drive is pretty difficult because you have to take the whole thing apart. www.mcetech.com can do the upgrade for you, though. You may also want to just get an external Firewire hard drive to save the trouble (check www.dealmac.com for good deals).
2) You cannot upgrade the builtin RAM. Best you can do is add a 512MB module in the RAM expansion slot. Check www.dealram.com or www.ramseeker.com for best prices. Upgrading an iBook's RAM is easy enough for a monkey to do, fortunately
3) Like the hard drive, this upgrade is also VERY difficult. It would also require that you can find the right drive to fit and work in the iBook. I'm not sure how possible that is. You may want to just get an external CD Burner (check DealMac again; you can probably get away for under $75).

If all else fails, just sell your current iBook and put that money (plus what you were going to spend on all those upgrades) towards the purchase of a newer model. I think external expansion options will be much easier and cheaper, though.

Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2002, 12:04 AM

If you are looking to upgrade the iBook's hard drive, you will need a 9.5mm high 2.5 inch hard drive. You can get them in capacities of up to 60 GB these days. They aren't even terribly expensive (I paid less than $150 for a 40GB a month or two ago). However, the iBook is EXTREMELY difficult to take apart, and you need to take the whole darned thing apart to get at the hard disk. So I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you want to risk screwing up your iBook. If you go for it, make sure to get a Torx T8 screwdriver, which is kind of hard to find. I had my iBook all disassembled when I realized that the T10 that I had was too big to remove the mounting screws from my old drive, and it was too late to make a run to Home Depot.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2002, 06:18 PM

1)60Gb is possible if you're willing to pay and invalidate your warranty
2)nope impossible
3) Yes! a company takes your iBook and changes the CD drive to a DVD/CDR drive will post link when I find it
we don't have time to stop for gas

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2002, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
3) Yes! a company takes your iBook and changes the CD drive to a DVD/CDR drive will post link when I find it
There just happens to be a link to that on the MacNN homepage today! These people will do it for $250.

Forum Links
Forum Rules