Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > emac cd door...

emac cd door...
dinkdink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 05:13 PM

I'm sure all you emac owners can all agree with me that the door on the cd drive of the emac is extremely loud when it slams shut. I am a recent switcher and this is my only problem with the beast. I was commenting to my wife the other day that I wish it had that slow shutting feature like so many boom boxes of the late 80's. Then, we go to a compusa store and I got to playing with an imac and hit the eject button and when the door closed it had that delayed close thing. I know it's a better machine but don't leave something so small like that off the emac, come on Apple! Talk about some quality feeling products, everything else is great, this is just my peeve.
Any of you have a way to customize this door so it closes quitely?
Maybe some door stops or a big wad of kleenex, ok sorry about the rant and the stupid jokes... I'm done.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2003, 05:34 PM

personally i kind of like when it slams shut, that way i know its closed ...it is rather loud but its an emac...

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2003, 11:47 PM

I kind of agree.. My only gripe with my eMac is that the entire front panel looks and feels kind of cheap. Which is backed up by the plasticky clank of the CD door flapping shut.
But hey, it IS a cheap Mac. So I really don't hold much of a grudge about it, as it's otherwise a brilliant Mac for the money.
I was planning to fix the nasty noise issue by gluing some small felt pads to the inside of the CD door. That should fix it easily enough.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2003, 06:55 AM

I was thinking about adding some sort of padding... neoprene, felt, or some kind of rubbery material. The drive door slamming shut is just loud enough to make me cringe in pain at the loud noise. My ears don't like it . I want to make it softer but I don't want to make the drive get propped open slightly when closed - the cover does a good job of blocking off the noise of the drive so I want it to stay fully covered when closed.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2003, 07:11 AM

Delayed shut? Never noticed. I always thought my bro's imac was kinda loud.

My g4 is loud too but not as much as the door isn't as huge.
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules