Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 1G fans

iMac G5 1G fans
Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 05:21 AM

Hello,

My mother has a problem with her iMac G5 (17", 1.6 GHz). Last time, when she was actually doing nothing at all, the machines fans suddenly were working like mad (on the highest way possible). The mouse became unresponsive so she decided to force shut down it via the back button. Afterwards, everything seems normal. Anyone ever seen this problem and what have you done with it?

It falls under the extensive repair program, but it has no issues with graphics or power. At the moment, I am not able to check the capacitors for leaking etc., but I plan to do so lateron. However I would like to get responses from other people who have gotten the same experience with their machine.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2006, 05:28 AM

heck of a thread here...
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 04:03 PM

Anyone having a useful comment?

Thanks in advance.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

volcano
Senior User
Apr 2, 2006, 04:23 PM

I have the same model as you - the exact same specs, actually (2GHz G5, 400GB HDD, 2GB RAM) - and I've had that exact same thing happen to me twice, if memory serves me correctly. Why does/did it happen? I have no idea. As long as the issue doesn't persist, I wouldn't worry about it. If it happens persistently, then call Apple and ask them to look at it.

Also - check the capacitors when you get the chance. I've had my iMac since June '05, and haven't had any issues with them thus far [knock on wood].

Good luck!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2006, 06:12 PM

just to clarify...i had nothing showing up on this thread till today. with that said, you might wanna zap the pram and see what that does, or see if its a particular app thats causing the craziness. safest bet is to back up your stuff and send it in to apple.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 02:21 AM

Ok, I pressed enter to get a return in my post, but editted 1 minute later to get the actual content into it. Thanks for your answers.

It is actually another machine, as I said, then the machine I am working on. It is the second time, and I will have a really decent look at the capacitors when I have a chance. A PRAM-zap would also seem a reasonable idea.

Duracell
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2006, 09:04 AM

This only happens to me when I have a CD/DVD in the drive - as soon as I remove it the fans stop
Macbook Pro 15" Rev: Feb08
iPhone & iPod Touch

20" iMac G5, Mac Mini G4 and an iBook G4, all retired.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2006, 12:21 PM

I had a similar thing happen on my 1st gen 1.8 G5.
It progressed to a graphics card failure which was covered under the extended repair program. They replaced the entire mobo and everything has been fine since.

AppleSnapple84
Apr 6, 2006, 09:09 PM

Probably you need to reset the SMU/SMC (iMac G5 ambient light senor) or PMU/PMC (earlier iMac G5). These are all pretty much the same thing, that is, System or Power Management Unit or Controller. They control the fan operation, sleep, wake, and idle behavior, and other basic functions. Go to the Apple Support site, and in the little Search box, enter "Reset SMU", or "Reset SMC", or "Reset PMU", or "Reset PMC", or even "loud fan", whatever gets the applicable document, and follow the directions therein. Sorry I am not more specific, I haven't looked up all the possibilities myself. Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules