Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto - event sorting/rearranging

iPhoto - event sorting/rearranging
mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2007, 11:21 PM

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but....

the problem: when I combine events together, I'm getting not only those 2 events combined, but instead everything that happened between the two events merged into one event.

what I'm doing:
- in Events view
- click on an event, drag it on top of event I want to combine it with
- release mouse button
- go in and check the new combined event...
- mutter profanities when I see all photos between the two dates of the events i just combined.

What I want to happen:
- Take photos from one event (especially when all of those pictures in said event should be with another)...
- Combine with another.. quickly

Or, better yet, I don't want iPhoto to automatically create events ever again. Just let me fix the mess it already made, but with any new photos I add, don't make an event out of them, let me do that on my own.
Is that even an option?
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2007, 10:36 AM

Change your view to "library" rather than "event". Then drag the photos to the "roll" you want to be your event and it should work fine. You can certainly leave it in "library" view if that would suit you better than events. Good luck!
Mary

mpancha  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2007, 10:44 AM

Is there a way to remove/hide the events entirely?

Unless I missed something entirely, I don't see any new Events type information when I use front row to view my photos.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2007, 12:32 AM

i must agree that events sound good on paper, bt are very hard to change and implement. the tough part about the whole thing is that no matter the size of the pictures it i tough to drag items from an event at the bottom of the list to the top of the list...
this just needs to have a better way to administer and swap from one event ot another or at least provide better directions because currently there are none

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2007, 07:39 AM

I'm OK with Events. What really cheeses is me is they removed the automatic dated folders list. WTF.

mpancha  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2007, 09:50 AM

I like the idea behind Events, its a good concept, I'll like it once I get the mess the auto convert to filter that iPhoto did when I upgraded all fixed. But the fixing the mess part is very aggravating.

Even better control over Events, and how they are auto created, or the option to disable auto-event creation is all I really want. Fixing the mess is just time consuming.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by mpancha View Post
I like the idea behind Events, its a good concept, I'll like it once I get the mess the auto convert to filter that iPhoto did when I upgraded all fixed. But the fixing the mess part is very aggravating.

Even better control over Events, and how they are auto created, or the option to disable auto-event creation is all I really want. Fixing the mess is just time consuming.
fixing the mess is super duper time consuming...
it took me all weekend to tool down my library. now i am at a happy point, now begins the fight with events. so far no matter how small i make the events, i cannot drag from an onscreen event to one that is off screen.
that is a tremendous hassle that i have not found my way around yet...
basically what is the point if you cannot alter them correctly much at all... ?

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2007, 10:14 AM

I think if you will move your photos in the library view to other "rolls" you will be happier than trying to move from "event" to "event". However, the scrolling can be a problem. I have had some luch with changing the date of my "roll" to be close to the "roll" that I want to move photos into. That will move the roll nearer the target roll, and I can drag more easily that way. May work for you.
Mary

Forum Links
Forum Rules