Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Apps and error type 3

Apps and error type 3
mr man
Apr 20, 2000, 01:46 PM

I hope you all can help, i have been surfing for answers for over an hour...
Word will not open documents that were not created by me, "app...unexpectedly quit...error type 3". Online Apple Help says illegal operation. Basic Mac Help says memory problem. I have well over 150 MB available (virtual memory on) with my usual apps open. Now, Macster shows same message and won't open, although I used it yesterday just fine. twice. I don't believe either of the explanations for error from Apple are correct. Can anyone help me understand the problem? Thanx.

p.s. Just where am I supposed to learn about these things, from David Pogue?

Mac OS 9.0.4
iMac DVSE

Cipher13
Apr 20, 2000, 09:44 PM

An error 3 is an illegal instruction. Try quitting all apps and then open them. If that doesn't help, trash the Finder prefs and maybe replace the Finder itself. Then try trashing the apps preferences. If none of that works, do the standard zap PRAM and rebuild desktop, and if none of that helps, re-install system. I also had that problem on a PM 8600 w/9.0.4, and in the end I had to reinstall the system, which fixed the problem.

Hope that helps.

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules